Rwanda, Rwanda, Africa
Senior (5+ years of experience)
07 Feb, 2014
RWANDA ENVIRONMENT MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY (REMA)
The Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project Phase Two (LVEMP II) is a regional project aiming to address the socio-environmental impacts of environmental degradation in the Lake Victoria Basin, especially on Lake Victoria itself. The project development objectives (PDO) are:
(i) Improvement of the collaborative management of the trans-boundary natural resources of the Lake Victoria Basin (LVB) among the Partner States; and
(ii) Improvement of the environmental management of targeted pollution hotspots and selected degraded sub-catchments for the benefits of communities who depend on the natural resources of LVB.
The IDA15 funds are being disbursed to the Government of Rwanda (GoR) through Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA) to the tune of USD 15 million over the six-year period. It is in this regard that the Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA) seeks to recruit an Accountant for LVEMP II to support and strengthen the project's financial management function over the implementation period.
2. Scope of work
The Accountant is expected to:
- Ensure that the financial transactions are properly authorized, recorded, hive ad-equate supporting documentation and can easily be extracted for the purpose of preparing financial statements;
- Prepare and process payments, manage cash flows and carry out bank reconciliations;
- Ensure that adequate financial controls are in place to maintain propriety and proper accountability of expenditures; Maintain and ensure the safe custody of accounting registers and value documents;
- Coordinate the annual financial audits carried out by the Office of the Auditor General as well as any financial reviews carried out by Internal Auditors and Development Partners;
- Keep up to date all the accounting records of the project from bookkeeping to trial balance;
- Prepare and submit for approval to the Director of Finance and Administration of the Single Project Implementation Unit (SPIU) timely and reliable financial statements, budgets, financial projections, cash flow forecasts and all other projects reports as requested by IDA, and Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and other project stakeholders;
- Post transactions in the accounting system, correctly and accurately, ensuring that transactions are entered into the system in a timely and proper manner and that updated accounting records are kept, which are essential for the generation of reports, and the capability to produce the project financial monitoring reports ;
- Prepare the Withdrawal application and submit them through client connection on a monthly basis
- In collaboration with the Field Environmentalist, ensure that funds transferred at District level are utilized and the financial reports are submitted on quarterly basis. Ensure that the Districts prepare proper statements of expenditure and submit them on time to ensure that the all the requisite information is up to date and the IFR can be submitted on time
- Provide full back-up, be fully familiar and participate in the activities of the project in all areas, including preparation of financial and status reports, maintaining financial management system, preparation of documents for payment, books and records keeping etc..
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the LVEMP II Sector Specialist or the SPIU Coordinator.
3. Expected Outputs
The Accountant is responsible for all accounting aspects of the project:
- Regularly kept and updated accounts as well as fully maintained registers, i.e., payment orders register, invoices register, petty cash book, etc;
- Monthly bank reconciliation statements - prepared in a timely manner, i.e., by the 10th day of each month;
- Monthly and Quarterly financial statements as required by Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning in Rwanda (MINECOFIN), Quarterly IFRs for the World Bank, and financial statements to fulfill reporting needs of other Development Partners and key stakeholders;
- Monthly submission of Withdrawal application through client connection.
- Annual financial statements ready for audit;
- Timely quarterly financial reports submission by Districts
- Collaborate with LVEMP Sector Specialist in order to ensure project's assets inventory;
- Monthly, quarterly and annual cash flow projections;
- Any other outputs required by the SPIU Coordinator and LVEMP II Sector Specialist
The contract will be valid for one year renewable upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
5. Reporting arrangements
The Accountant will report to the Director of Finance and Administration of the Single Project Implementation Unit (SPIU) for the day to day activities.
6. Job Profile
The minimum qualification and experience required for the Accountant is as follows:
- Bachelor's degree in commerce (Accounting option), Bachelor's Degree in accounting or economic related field;
- Professional accounting qualifications such as CPA, ACCA or equivalent (or part qualification with evidence of likelihood of full qualification soon);
- At least 7 years relevant continuous work experience in a busy finance department; Experience with World Bank funded projects will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in preparation of financial reports, budgets and budget variance analysis;
- Hands on experience with a multi-user accounting package including data capturing and extraction of management information and reports there from;
- High integrity, strong results orientation, drive for excellence and initiative;
- Fluency in English or French with working knowledge of the other language;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- Excellent team playing abilities and having a keen client focus.
7. Employee's reporting obligations
The Accountant shall deliver the following outputs:
• Regularly kept and updated accounts;
• Quarterly and monthly cash flow statements;
• Quarterly and monthly budget execution report;
• Quarterly and monthly Bank reconciliation statements;
• Annual accounts statements ready for audit.
• Quarterly un-audited interim financial statements
Applications should include:,
- A detailed curriculum vitae containing full personal details (birth date, gender, nationality, marital status, home address, and full contact numbers); qualifications and experience relevant for the position; previous and current appointments,
- Available references from at least three recent employers and/or supervisors;
- Copies of academic qualifications;
- Indication of possible starting date if successful
All applications to be clearly marked "Accountant for LVEMPII" and addressed to:
The Director General of REMA P.O. Box 7436 Kacyiru, Kigali
All applicants will be submitted at REMA's reception. For further enquiries you can call .0783214459.
Closing date: 7th February 2014 at 5 pm.
Late applications will not be considered.
Dr. Rose MUKANKOMEJE
Director General of REMA