Job Description for Business management advisor (BMA)
Twin is a unique and award-winning development through trade NGO working with 49 producer organisations representing 400,000 coffee, cocoa and nut smallholders in 17 countries across Latin America, Africa and Asia. Our coffee company Twin Trading works to access value-added markets for our producer partners and offers quality coffee and cocoa with development impact.
We unlock the power of trade to strengthen producer organisations and delivery social justice, economic development and environmental sustainability for small farmers. We are engaged throughout the value change to balance producer support with creating market demand, building partnerships that deliver sustainable, scalable and meaningful change.
We are a small, dynamic team based (primarily) in East London and East Africa. We are looking for an exceptional, pro-active Business Management advisor who has experience of collaborating across sectors with both private-sector partners and institutional donors. Ideally someone with knowledge of market-based development and agricultural value chains, you’ll combine outstanding communication skills with a strong focus on problem-solving and attention to detail.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The job is a maternity cover, the person will be part of the Producer Partnership Programmes (PPP) team. During this period the person will focus mainly on supporting Producer organizations in East Africa as they enter last year of a regional programme.
The BMA will also coordinate and oversee implementation of Twin’s business management pillar at producer organization level, provide overall supervision for all programmes in this area of work.
POSITION IN THE ORGANISATION
Reports to: Head of programmes based in London.
Manages: will work with local based business associates and under the scope of Twin’s business management tools.
Receives support from and works with: other members of the programme team and marketing/trading team.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Ensures business pillar activities in projects are delivered effectively through the entire cycle from development and submission to execution, monitoring and reporting, through both direct intervention and liaising associates.
- Responsible for strengthening relationship with Marketing and Trading team in providing support on access to finance, season planning and monitoring
- Provides technical support to Producer organization (POS) on business planning, financial management and accounting practises. Conduct assessment of the financial health of POs and recommend plans of action to strengthen their business models
- Provides training to POs on business related priorities identified with them
- Supports development of donor proposals on the relevant pillar.
- Demonstrates business case to secure donor & private sector investment.
- Oversees the work of business associates from a technical point of view.
Learning and innovation
- Ensures business management activities are properly monitored and reviewed.
- Promotes effective learning within Twin; ensure learning and innovation is documented and disseminated to improve practice and policy.
- Works collaboratively with project team to ensure cross-project learning and consistency of approach.
- Support on creating, updating of tools and approach.
- Represent Twin in fora and events.
- Support internal communication within Twin and provide information for website updates and other external communication purposes.
- Any other reasonable duty as may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
Qualifications and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Economics, International development, Accounting or related subject.
- At least four years’ experience in planning, designing and delivering overseas development projects with local partners in a rural/agriculture setting.
- Experience in working on value change and market systems development approaches, preferably in coffee, cocoa or/and nuts.
- To think strategically and provide leadership for multi-dimensional programmes.
- To lead the design and coordinate the delivery of business and organisational capacity building programmes with local partners.
- To work confidently with financial information, preparing and analysing budgets, accounts and financial statements.
- To communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms with a variety of stakeholders, but particularly including donors, private sector and farmers.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of French (required)
- Ability and willingness to travel overseas up to four times in the duration of the contract.
- Of smallholder agricultural and producer organizations.
- Of the donor environment for agricultural development and marketing programmes.
- Of coffee, cocoa and/or nuts production and marketing (desirable).
Hours of work: Full-time fixed-term up to one year (maternity cover)
Salary: Dependent on experience
Location: London/ Kigali with flexible working arrangements, frequent travel mainly in East Africa
Holiday allowance: 25 days per year plus bank holidays and other statutory holidays Based
Please send us your CV and cover letter to explaining your suitability for the job and indicating the job title in the subject by 9:00 am on 30th May 2018.
To apply for this position based in Kigali please send your CV and cover letter to Jobs.Kigali@twin.org.uk
Interviews to be held week commencing 4th June 2018.