Deputy Chief of Party for Technical Activities
Chemonics International Inc.
Title: Deputy Chief of Party for Technical Activities
Project: Rwanda Soma Umenye
Soma Umenye will work to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda by the end of Grade 3. Specifically, Soma Umenye will target all children in Grades 1-3 attending public and government-aided schools nationwide and ensure that at least 70 percent of P1-P3 students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the chief of party to provide management, leadership, oversight, and overall coordination of Soma Umenye technical activities.
- Supports the chief of party to develop and implement key management systems that will support project planning, reporting, and performance management.
- Oversees the day to day work of the project’s early grade reading technical director, monitoring, evaluation, and learning director, communications director, and gender and inclusion specialist to ensure they are achieving work plan targets.
- Oversees and reviews all technical writing products and deliverables.
- Supports the provision of technical guidance in relevant program areas.
- Identifies challenges, obstacles, and difficulties affecting project implementation, develops strategies to solve these problems, and works with the chief of party and USAID as needed to implement these strategies.
- Serves as acting chief of party with responsibility for technical project implementation and management as directed.
- Performs any other task assigned by the chief of party that is consistent with the overall nature of the project.
- Master’s degree in project management or other relevant field and seven years of experience of progressive responsibility or Bachelor’s degree in project management or other relevant field and twelve years of progressive responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage senior technical staff and build collaborative relationships that promote effective project implementation.
- Experience working with donor-funded projects strongly preferred.
- Experience or familiarity with the education sector in Rwanda preferred.
- Proven ability to supervise, mentor, train, and support staff.
- Demonstrated exemplary diplomatic, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Written and spoken proficiency in English.
Location of Assignment
The location of assignment is Kigali, Rwanda with intermittent travel throughout the country.
The Deputy Chief of Party for Technical Activities will report directly to the Chief of Party or his/her designee.