The Aegis Trust
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Job title: Financial Controller
Reports to: Africa Representative (Rwanda)
Technical and Rwanda Programme related Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer (UK) in general and the Director of Programmes for all Rwanda related programming.
Responsible for: Supervising the Finance Manager and two Accounts Assistants (in Kigali)
Type of Position: Full time
Salary: Up to £30,000 per year once the job is done.
Length of Contract: One year contract with potential to extend, subject to performance and annual budget
General Description of the Position:
The Financial Controller (FC) is a key member of the management team in Rwanda and head of the in-country finance department.
The Financial Controller will report directly to Regional Director on a day to day basis but ultimately be accountable to the Chief Financial Officer and the Director of Programs.
The Financial Controller will be operationally responsible for the in-country finance department and tasks will include overseeing a small team, making payments, banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, management accounting, grant (financial) management and compliance, both internal and external.
Aegis Trust is currently working in Rwanda and the Central African Republic (CAR) with a view to expanding operations into other East African countries.
Key Outputs/Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
Operations – Financial:
- Ensure effective, transparent use of the financial resources available in compliance with internal policies and those of our donors.
- Prepare timely monthly management accounts and/or any ad hoc financial report requested by the senior management team/board of directors.
- Prepare annual statutory accounts for year-end audit purposes.
- Oversee day to day banking and corresponding posting of transactions to SAGE to ensure data entry is both up to date and accurate.
- Provide monthly ‘board packs’ to the Chief Financial Officer in the UK for review, challenge and comment; this will typically include a full set of management accounts, including balance sheet and cash flow.
- Prepare the monthly payroll for the organization. This will require having a strong knowledge of the in-country tax system and ensuring that all taxes are correctly deducted and paid to the Rwanda Revenue Authority on time.
- Develop the annual budget alongside the Country Team and Chief Financial Officer.
- Regular cash flow forecasting based on the work plans by individual programs, ensuring that all programs have enough cash to pay for their activities both now and in the future.
- Oversee the co-ordination of the monthly Sage accounts closing process and reconciliation of the general ledger accounts, in particular those relating to the Balance Sheet.
- Maintain the organization’s fixed assets register.
- Work closely with external stakeholders such as internal/external auditors/bankers/etc.
- Strong understanding of in-country laws regarding financial management.
- Provide monthly management reports to the Director of Programs and Programme Managers, including expenditures by cost center/project/etc. in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer in developing new bid proposal budgets, ensuring full cost recovery of overheads, preventing future overspends.
- Prepare periodic donor reports (financial element) in line with the specified donor contracts.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances and associated pressures.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths/weaknesses and potential future development needs.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development/progression
- Assist team members with the information, tools and resources they need in order to improve their performance & reach their objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback both formally and informally via regular one-to-one meetings and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence in everything they do.
- Qualified Accountant (ACMA, ACCA, ACA, CPA or equivalent) required.
- At least 5+ years’ financial management experience within an INGO at field/overseas level.
- At least 3+ years' experience in financial grant management.
- Demonstrable experience working with donor funded projects and familiarity with their requirements
- Demonstrated experience in budget preparation with specific focus on Gender Responsive Budgeting (GBR), financial reporting, detailed analysis, and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports for non-financial people.
- Confidence in presenting complex financial reports periodically to the trustees, whether in person or via Skpe (or equivalent) with reference to “Value for Money”, financial performance, budget monitoring, financial projection and how gender is made part of finance
- Strong financial accounting knowledge and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, internal payroll, payables, etc.
- Prior experience of managing a small team is a must.
- Advanced MS Office skills, in particular Excel.
- Strong working knowledge of Sage.
- Ability to effectively multi-task, organize and prioritize.
- Excellent oral and written English is an absolute necessity.
- Ability to work effectively within an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
Who Can Apply:
- Aegis Trust welcomes applications from Rwandan Nationals and those with a right to live and work in Rwanda and the East African Community.
Aegis is an equal opportunity organization and for this position qualified women are encouraged to apply
How to apply:
Interested applicants will be required to provide a cover letter detailing how they are the right candidate for this specific role together with a copy of their CV.
Closing application date: 5:00 pm (local time) Thursday, May 31st, 2018, Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.