Local Government Relations Specialist
Employer:One Acre Fund
Job Location: Rubengera/ Rwanda
One Acre Fund’s vision for 2030 is for our impact to be visible from every Rwandan farmer’s home. One Acre Fund Rwanda needs high performing staff members to continue our strong growth trajectory. Working with our Rwanda team presents the opportunity to build upon our strong operational foundations and explore new ways to impact our well established network of hundreds of thousands of farm families.
One Acre Fund coordinates and works closely with local and national governments in providing vital services to farmers. The goal of the Government Relations Department is to maintain proactive engagement with relevant government stakeholders and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. Our collaboration with the government is crucial to the implementation of One Acre Fund’s long-term goals as we continue to scale our program to increase impact for farmers. The Rwanda Government Relations team greatly contributes to our ability to make Rwandan farmers more prosperous by building and maintaining positive relationships with Government stakeholders, allowing for smooth and successful implementation of field programs, and ensuring that the organization’s work is complaint with the rules and regulations of the Government of Rwanda.
We are currently hiring for a Rwanda Local Government Relations Specialist to focus on overseeing engagement with high-level regional and local officials and managing an entire local government relations team to ensure competency and efficiency. The role will entail reporting and communications (both internal and external), team management, critical project execution, risk assessment, systems development, and events representation.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and manage a local government team of 10+ staff with direct management of at least 3 Senior Local Government Officers (LGOs).
- Restructure the team as needed to meet shifting needs and create opportunities for career growth.
- Hold regular local government team meetings and execute the department’s key objectives and strategy via team.
- Create systems that ensure timely delivery of nuanced and actionable performance reviews and development plans across the team to ensure growth for all team members.
- Deliver professional development training and mentoring for the team to take on new stretch projects and an increasingly complex portfolio of relationships.
- Support Senior LGOs to train new team members and effectively monitor and support their day-to- day activities.
- Regularly review actual spending against planned spending to ensure adherence to team budget.
- Formulate and implement initiatives to maximize cost-efficiency and optimize spending.
Internal and External Communication
- Lead complex and strategic discussions with provincial-level stakeholders and train the local government team to develop clear, concise, effective, and transparent communication materials for local government officials.
- Ensure timely reporting to government partners and relay key issues and recommendations from government to One Acre Fund and vice versa with little supervision from manager.
- Work with relevant department units to develop district reports including imihigo reports, pre & post-season reports, enrollment reports and district and sector progress reports.
- Improve the local government team's cross team collaboration and internal communication with operational teams.
- Work with department/unit leads and field operations to roll out local government calendar on a seasonal basis to meet operational needs for expansion, enrollment, delivery of inputs, and execution of field activities.
- Develop strong relationships with provincial and district-level officials to improve our cooperation with government and build allies and champions for One Acre Fund.
- Regularly track priority relationships and proactively implement new initiatives to improve our engagement with stakeholders.
- Design and execute seasonal local government engagement strategies with department and unit leads.
- Facilitate movements on local government requests, reports and responses to priority official requests and communications.
- Represent One Acre Fund at high-level provincial events and meetings and high-risk meetings at the local level.
- Support One Acre Fund’s expansion into new areas through securing local government approvals and conducting stakeholder mapping.
- Support field teams' interactions with government on a need-by- need basis. Systems Development and Project Execution
- Develop, maintain and improve systems and tools to improve performance and drive accountability within the team.
- Manage the local government team’s Key Performance Indicators, trackers, and accountability tools and ensure team’s effective use of systems.
- Implement projects that deliver quantifiable and tangible impact to smallholder farmers.
- Coordinate with relevant project leads to ensure effective implementation of farmer subsidy processes at the local level through proactive engagement with high level regional and district officials.
- Lead the local government team in providing support to field teams to guarantee adherence to subsidy guidelines and timely submission of lists for quality control and local government signatures.
- Work closely with internal teams to develop new and efficient measures of implementing subsidy processes.
- Identify possible future risks and areas of non-alignment and work with different teams to implement preventative actions.
- Communicate regional risks to the department leadership and develop strategies for mitigation.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 3 to 5 years of strong, relevant work experience
and a demonstrated long-term passion for development work. Candidates with the following
qualifications are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Demonstrated leadership experience including managing and developing a team and driving performance.
- Experience working with the public sector or engaging government
- Proven ability to drive projects from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent and persuasive oral and written communication in both English and Kinyarwanda.
- Relationship-building skills. We are looking for an individual who is able to strike an appropriate balance between humility and confidence, speak intelligently about our program, and systematically manage relationships.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate complex issues and develop creative solutions.
- Humility. We are looking for a passionate professional who can combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including advanced Excel skills.
- Strong academic background from a top university.
See the full job description and application details on this link: https://oneacrefund.org/work-with-us/job-openings/g/?gh_jid=1121982
You will be prompted to a form that must be completed. At the end of the form you will have the opportunity to write a motivational letter and upload your CV.
We are offering a world class professional and international environment that focuses on your career development and are looking forward to receiving your application.
Please Note: One Acre Fund will never ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. If you are being approached by someone demanding money, please do not hesitate to report this to the Tubura Fraud Hotline: (+250) 786 908 557 (Do not use this number for any purpose other than reporting fraud attempts. If you misuse his number and use it for general information about the position and not to report Fraud, we will not consider you for this position).
One Acre Fund is an equal opportunity employer; all candidates with legal working age will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, region, sex, disability status or any other characteristic protected by the law.