Request for Bids (RFB) from suitably qualified Consulting firms
15 May 2018
BHC Building, 260 Bvd de l’Umuganda, Kacyiru, P.O. Box 2040,
Tel : (+250) 0252 502663 / (+250) 0252 502664
Baseline Assignment for Trócaire
Trócaire Rwanda invites experienced consulting firms to submit bids for the provision of consultancy services to carry out the baseline for the project entitled “Enhancing the capacity and participation of small scale farmers and civil society organisations in decision making and governance processes related to sustainable agriculture and food security in Rwanda”. Consulting firms must demonstrate that they have the experience, resources and expertise to supply the goods and/or services required.
Contact for clarification
Trócaire Resource Rights Programme Officer
RFB Release Date
15 May 2018
Deadline for submission of bids
4pm on 15 June 2018
Trócaire is the official overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland, established in 1973 and currently has presence in more than 17 countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia including Rwanda. Trócaire has been operating in Rwanda since 1994 and is currently focusing on 3 programme pillars: Resource Rights, Women's Empowerment, and Preparing and Responding to Emergencies. Trócaire does not implement programmes directly. Instead, the organization works in partnership with local civil society organisations.
Trócaire secured co-funding from the European Union effective August 1st 2018 to implement a project entitled “Enhancing the capacity and participation of small scale farmers and civil society organisations in decision making and governance processes related to sustainable agriculture and food security in Rwanda” The project is oriented towards strengthening civil society organizations’ capacity to hold public authorities to account and to promote more inclusive, responsive and transparent governance in Rwanda. The specific objective of the project is to promote the effective participation of small scale farmers (particularly women) and civil society organisations in the development, implementation and monitoring of agricultural policies and strategies in 3 districts namely Nyamagabe, Nyaruguru and Nyagatare.
Trócaire will treat the content of all bids as strictly confidential and information provided in the bids will be used solely for the purpose of deciding on the award of a contract as described in this document.
3. Responsibilities and specific tasks of the consulting firm:
- Participate in briefing and consultative meetings on the assignment;
- Develop a work plan and inception report that will operationalise and direct the baseline processes;
- Develop data collection tools such as questionnaire surveys, focus group discussion questions and key informant interview questions in collaboration with the Baseline Management Team (BMT) and programme partners;
- Train partners and the BMT on digital data gathering, entering and processing in relation to this baseline survey;
- Carry out field work, analyse data, and draft a preliminary report for feedback from the BMT;
- Finalise the data analysis and submit a final report setting out the baselines key findings;
- Present the information formally at a workshop with partners and key stakeholders; and
- Deliver on all agreed deliverables.
4. Duration and period of the assignment:
The evaluation will ideally commence on the 6th August 2018 and the final report should be available by 31st of August 2018. It is expected that 20 consultant days will be required.
5. Conflicts of interest
Any conflicts interest involving an applicant must be fully disclosed to Trócaire. Failure to disclose a conflict may disqualify an applicant or invalidate an award of the contract. Applicants are required to declare any current or past work which might reasonably be considered to represent a conflict of interest. It will be for Trócaire to decide if a material conflict of interest exists and applicants in doubt in this regard should seek the advice of Trócaire.
Trócaire is committed to safeguarding programme participants from any form of exploitation or abuse as a result of our programmes or activities. Anyone working for or on behalf of Trócaire must share this commitment. Trócaire’s Position Statement on Exploitation and Abuse and Trócaire’s Child Safeguarding Summary document outline expectations in this regard, including a Code of Conduct. All consultants, representatives and volunteers of Trócaire will be expected to sign these documents along with a Declaration Form and a Self-Declaration Form.
7. Contract Type and Period
The consultancy contract is a fixed term consultancy contract and will commence with the 1st day of the baseline activity anticipated to be on August 6th 2018. The contract will end on August 31st 2018 and by this date the Consultant is expected to have submitted the final report to Trócaire Rwanda. The contract duration will have a maximum of 20 working days assigned to this baseline survey.
8. Intellectual Property
Any concept, guidelines or other material developed during the contract will be considered the property of Trócaire and may be used by Trócaire at any time.
9. Termination of Contract
Trócaire reserves the right to terminate the contract at any stage on payment of reasonable and agreed costs accrued to the date of termination.
If at any stage during the contract, the goods/services delivered by the consultant is found to be unsatisfactory, the contract may be terminated by Trócaire. In the event of such a termination, the consultant will only be entitled to receive payment in relation to the acceptable goods/services rendered at that time.
10. Expertise required and Qualification:
Interested registered consulting firms should provide a comprehensive proposal which demonstrates relevant experience in the following areas:
- Programme/project planning and evaluation;
- Participatory research techniques;
- Developing high quality monitoring and evaluation systems for similar programmes;
- Strong background and experience of working in the region/country and programme context;
- Knowledge of civil society approaches to policy monitoring and advocacy;
- Extensive knowledge about agricultural policy implementation and monitoring;
- Producing high quality reports;
- Working to demanding deadlines; and
- Digital data collection and management.
The consultant will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Understanding of the Terms of Reference;
- Proposed methodology and planning of the assignment;
- Experience of developing baselines for similar programmes;
- Proof of past experience of the company in working with evaluation exercises for international NGOs or for donor organizations;
- Relevant qualifications and experience of 2 senior consultants proposed for this assignment,
- Overall quality of the proposal; and
- Financial offer costed in RWF, with proof of RRA and RDB company registration and VAT compliance i.e. using electronic billing machine when issuing invoices.
Detailed terms of reference can be availed upon request at the reception desk of Trócaire Offices – Kacyiru BHC building, 260 Boulevard de l’Umuganda, Kacyiru, Kigali, Rwanda or to the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
11. Submission of Bids
Your proposal clearly marked baseline survey for “Enhancing the capacity and participation of small scale farmers and civil society organisations in decision making and governance processes related to sustainable agriculture and food security in Rwanda” should be submitted under sealed envelope to the Trócaire offices– Kacyiru BHC building, 260 Boulevard de l’Umuganda, Kacyiru, Kigali, Rwanda or through email submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and copying email@example.com; and firstname.lastname@example.org not later than June 15th 2018. Any queries relating to this Request for Bids should be directed by e-mail only to email@example.com; the staff member who will follow up on this RFB.
The applications should be sent to the above email addresses not later than June 15th, 2018 at 4:00 PM, or physically submitted to Trócaire offices at the above-mentioned address.
Done on 16 May 2018
Trócaire Rwanda Country Director