Expression of interest
Title of Assignment: Development of marketing strategic interventions to support KIAKA cooperative to enter in the new market of GOMA.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally-owned enterprise which assists the German government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation. GIZ has been in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development.
A. General Context of Eco-Emploi 2016 – 2019
Rwanda has maintained steady growth and macroeconomic stability for the past 15 years, between 2002 and 2016 real GDP growth averaged at about 9% per annum. However, the rate of unemployment and underemployment is high and most of those in employment still work in poorly paid positions, above all in agriculture. The vast majority of youth leaves schools hardly equipped for the labour market. A strong middle class that could provide for a solid foundation for the country’s economy does not exist.
The programme Eco-Emploi is part of the priority area “Sustainable Economic Development” of the Rwandan-German Development Cooperation and will be implemented between June 2016 and December 2019. Eco-Emploi embodies an integrated approach of technical and vocational education and training, labour market interventions and private sector development. It supports the economic sectors ICT, wood economy, tourism and creative industries [above all audio-visual business], e-commerce/logistics. The economic empowerment of women and people living with disabilities are a cross-cutting effort in all activities of the programme.
Eco-Emploi’s success is mainly defined by the amount of jobs that are created though the programme’s activities.
For more information, please visit Eco-Emploi’s homepage: http://ecoemploi.org/
B. Background and the rational of the assignment
KIAKA, a Cooperative of artisans was created in 1976, the cooperative is located in Western Province in Rwanda, Rubavu District, Nyakiliba Sector ,15 Km closer to the Goma city in Democratic Republic of Congo(DRC).
The main purpose for establishing and forming a cooperative was to create sustainable jobs for both craftsmen and women, as a response to the problem of unemployment in that region. At the birth of the new cooperative, all craftsmen and women from different places were assembled and brought together, sensitized on the rationale of collective actions. People were encouraged to join their efforts to produce and sell their products, to ensure the quality of the products so as to satisfy the market and meet customer`s expectations and satisfaction.
Today cooperative has 81 members and 105 employees distributed along the production chain. KIAKA is producing and sell variety of products such as; home wooden furniture, sculpture, home cleaning tools; brushes, scrapers, squeegees and other crafts products made out of the horn, leather, banana leaves, and bamboo.
To expand their business and increase the revenues over sales increment, the cooperative has initiative and started to export some of the products in foreign countries e.g; East Africa and DRC.
Despite the cooperative endeavor to increase sales in foreign market, and the cooperative doesn’t have in house capacity to strategize interventions to ensure the project sustainability and minimize the risks. It is in that regards that GIZ-Eco-emploi would like to support KIAKA cooperative to develop strategy interventions for the cooperative to enter and sustain in the new market of Goma.
The main objective of the assignment is to develop strategic interventions and accompany the cooperative in the journey to embark on the new market of Goma, grasp and sustain the competitive position on market.
C. Process and methodology of the assignment
The company or consultant firm may adopt a combination of qualitative and quantitative research techniques for meeting the objectives. Several interviews with cooperative leaders, existing clients, non-clients, and other potential clients or brokers will be required.
The key tasks and responsibilities
- The consultant will accompany and support the cooperative throughout all stages of the new market entry to Goma.
- Assess the current export capability of the cooperative to figure out the capacity need to venture into export market to Goma.
- Design interventions to increase export readiness and build capacity of the cooperative.
- Develop Marketing entry roadmap.
i. Marketing intelligence 20%;
- Scan and conduct Goma market research to analyze and understand the market dynamism, market drivers; the size and market segments.
- Assessing the market demand of quite range of KIAKA products.
- Evaluating the supply structure and competitive environment across the borders.
- Critically analyze assumptions or barriers to realize the project and critically propose the mitigations measures.
ii. Business development and linkages 50%
- Develop hands on market entry strategy and business development services to help KIAKA to succeed in the foreign market of Goma.
- Map and identify potential customers and therefore create new business contacts
- Create and strengthen business linkages with other companies in Goma.
- Mobilize and catalyze businessperson to become retail or wholesale of KIAKA’s products in Goma.
- Propose good distributions channels and their relations across the borders.
iii. Financial analysis /return on investment:10%
a) The consultant should clearly estimate the volume of investment/expenses in the process of export, publicity vis-à-vis the projected sales and indicate the payback period/return on investment so that the viability of the proposal is clearly brought out.
iv. Business coaching during the market entry: 20%
b) The company will hand in hands accompany the cooperative in all processes of entering the new market; crossing borders, the creation of business linkages, sending and promotion products prototypes and networking.
Conditions regarding technical terms will be discussed in detail with Eco-emploi, the consultant will report to the PSD component manager and the wood economy expert. Additional Eco-Emploi colleagues will assist the implementation and function as contact person with regard to the content of the assignment.
c) Inception note highlighting the Plan and methodology of the work to be executed.
d) Capacity needs assessment report and the capacity building strategy
e) Market assessment report
f) Detailed Business plan and road maps.
g) Report on created business linkages
h) Market linkages output that includes:
i. Approved 3 Business agreement between KIAKA and strong companies’ supplier or logistics firms of KIAKA products in Goma.
ii. A list or database of 50 potential buyers and sellers of KIAKA products
iii. Increased sales Volume of KIAKA products on Goma market.
i) The final report of the assignment.
F. Timeframe of assignment
The assignment will be conducted in 48 days within the period of November 2018 to April 2019. All deliverables and reports have to be handed in until 19 April 2019.
G. Key characteristics of consultant(s)
The consultant must meet the following minimum eligibility criteria;
- Degree in marketing management, business administration, development studies or other business related degree.
- Having minimum 7 years working experience in private sector development and cooperative management.
- Experience in sales & marketing. Knowledge of Goma market is a plus.
- A proven business network in Goma and Bukavu, the consultant will need to present the proof of contacts and previous successful business linkages.
- The consultant should have executed minimum three similar assignments in last 3
years in the consulting field of products sales and promotion.
- The consultant must be Fluent in Kinyarwanda, English, French, Swahili a knowledge of Lingala is an added advantage.
H. Cooperation and Payment terms
The payment under the contract will be output based and will be made upon satisfactory completion of the assignment.
The consultant / Company should be legally registered in Rwanda with RDB certificate and taxpayer registered.
In case of questions regarding the assignment, please contact: email@example.com
Please note that for a fair tender process, we only point to publicly available information.
Please hand in your complete offer (technical proposal and financial proposal) in separated & sealed envelopes by 25.10.2018 by 4h00 p.m. at the desk of:
41, KN ST 17,
P.O. Box 59
Kiyovu – Kigali
Tel: +250 252 573537