University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Position Title: Accountant
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Group/Department: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
The Accountant is a member of UGHE’s growing Finance Team, and will be the team’s representative on the Butaro Campus, UGHE’s academic center. In this role, s/he will be the point person for students’ tuition finances, and will be directly responsible for accounts receivable, inventory management, and on-campus petty cash management. As a member of this dynamic team, in addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Accountant will participate in regular Finance Team activities including cost estimations for grant budgets, annual program budget review cycles, and expense analysis.
Accounts receivable and Student Engagement
- Record accounts receivable transactions and ensure all relevant documentation is in place
- Prepare an upload students’ monthly invoices according to their payment contracts
- Maintain updated records for students tuition payment plans
- Generate and disseminate monthly aging reports
- Prepare student cases for Financial Council and facilitate the implementation of decisions made
- Provide weekly reports of status of students and enforce financial policies included in the Student Handbook
- Serve as the point person for students requesting information from the Finance Team
- Prepare invoices, track payments and issue receipts for all executive courses delivered by UGHE
- Develop the inventory module in the accounting software (SERENIC) including purchase orders (PO) and Goods Received Notes (GRN)
- Ensure UGHE inventory is recorded and managed in accordance to policies and procedures
- Coordinate the monthly stock take for all UGHE stock items and report variances
Petty Cash Management
- Ensure that there is petty cash available to support the functioning of the campus
- Process all petty cash transactions on campus
- Record all petty cash transactions and perform a cash count on daily basis
- Prepare a monthly petty cash reconciliation statement
- At least 2 years of experience in finance or accounting required
- Bachelors in accounting, finance, or related field required
- Mastery of the basic standards of accounting
- Demonstrated strength in relevant computer software including Excel, and experience with financial software including Seneric preferred
- Fluency in English required, proficiency in Kinyarwanda preferred
- Superior attention to detail and adaptability to rapidly changing work environments
- Commitment to social justice and health care equity
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high-quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.