Academic – Kigali, Kigali
Position: Advocacy and Policy Manager
Department: Institutional Learning and Accountability Department
Status: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Institutional Learning and Accountability
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Kepler is a nonprofit university program designed to deliver the skills that emerging economies need. Kepler combines the best of online learning and an American competency-based degree program with in-person seminars and intensive education-to-employment support.
The Advocacy and Policy Manager will be responsible for the implementation of Kepler’s policy and advocacy work in the area of education and MOOCs, including higher education reforms, and youth employment. He/she will provide strategic direction, management, and programmatic oversight to create a conducive environment for policy adoption, implementation and financing for improving the higher education standard in Rwanda and East Africa. The Advocacy and Policy Manager will produce persuasive written and visual narratives about Kepler’s progress and impact and use social media marketing for effective dissemination.
- Provide day-to-day project management for Kepler-specific policy and resource mobilization objectives.
- Lead strategizing, tactics, planning, and implementation of policy and advocacy and coordinate and communicate with other departments.
- Regularly review plans and priorities with the team to make the most of emerging opportunities and potential tactics.
- Oversee delivery and measurement of Kepler’s ‘indirect impact’ metrics in the Theory of Change/ Results Framework.
Advocacy, Communications, and Partnerships
- Use social media marketing to disseminate Kepler’s impact and progress.
- Produce persuasive written and visualize narratives about Kepler’s impact.
- Develop and cultivate linkages and relationships in the education and youth employment sector, including potential employers.
- Stay update to date of changes in the higher education and youth employment landscape through research and networking (e.g. reading, meetings, events, maintaining contacts).
- Collaborate with the Director of Institutional Learning and Accountability and MEL Manager to support the organization in its national advocacy, learning and accountability initiatives with a particular focus on sustainability.
- Organize workshops, position papers, briefings, consultations, roundtables, online media to disseminate policy pieces, positioning Kepler as a thought leader in affordable higher education models
- Identify and develop external relationships with NGOs, government agencies and UN agencies whose work aligns with Kepler’s policy and advocacy objectives, focusing on Youth Employment and Higher Education
- Directly engage with government decision-makers, influencers and partners to pursue changes in the adoption and implementation of education reforms.
- Support growth and sustainability of Kepler’s advocacy work by inputting into new concepts and proposals.
- Represent Kepler in meetings and forums relevant to the project policy objectives.
- Travel within Rwanda and East for regional engagements aligned with Kepler goals.
- Develop a Policy and Practice Strategy
- Support the Data Analyst and MEL Manager in the development of high-quality analysis, policy briefings, recommendations and positions relating to Kepler’s advocacy and policy priorities.
- closely with the MEL Manager to identify where Kepler’s research and evaluation can strengthen its policy and advocacy work.
- Support the MEL Manager to ensure a robust results framework with regards to policy and advocacy work is in place and effectively implemented, enabling Kepler to continuously learn from and improve the quality of its delivery and overall impact.
- Produce high-quality reports, policy updates, briefs, presentations, investment cases and other materials for varying audiences including the donor, policymakers and Kepler leadership.
- Lead efforts to gather and generate evidence for policy advocacy as per the advocacy goals and outcomes.
- Collecting data about the job market in Africa and overseas to identify patterns and trends about the market hence assisting Kepler in keeping up with the job market.
- Stakeholder mapping, preparing problem analysis framework, identifying paths to influence stakeholders & key messages, creating detailed annual, monthly & weekly plans for advocacy/engagement activities.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in international development, sociology, social policy, public administration, or public policy.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of influencing the policy and practice of governments and institutions through campaigning, advocacy and/or policy development.
- Experience organizing and coordinating advocacy/engagement activities including meetings, campaign days, social media campaigns and conferences.
- Experienced in external representation with stakeholders from other educational institutes, NGOs and government departments.
- Knowledge of the international youth sector and current policy priorities highly desirable.
- Adept at using social media for marketing and campaigning.
- Strong network within the electronic media and marketing industries.
- Strong knowledge of graphics suite such as Adobe Photoshop to produce compelling visuals.
- Significant professional experience collecting, managing, and analyzing data as well as producing data-driven strategies, reports and communication documents.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal and communication skills, public speaking, networking, policy development and fluent written/spoken English.