The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co‐curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Beef Cattle and Small Ruminants, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking an Agribusiness or Agricultural Economics professional to join a world‐class team of educators and researchers at RICA. Ideal candidates would have a passion for education with a focus on conservation agriculture and systems thinking and would actively engage with students in the learning environment by demonstrating technical skills and mentoring students. Such a candidate would commit to the RICA teaching philosophy, which celebrates experiential learning that is founded in research and extends to the community. This position is a comprehensive teaching position whereby the successful candidate is a stakeholder in all aspects of the program, including but not limited to, the responsibilities listed below.
- Teach courses in Agricultural Economics & Business.
- Participate in team-taught experiential classes
- As part of a team, mentor students on capstone experiences
- Champion Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles in teaching and mentoring
- Interact with the community by providing solutions to agricultural questions as appropriate
- A fluent speaker of English
- MS or Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, Resource Economics, Economics, Finance or other relevant degrees.
- Teaching experience
- Enthusiasm for conservation agriculture, experiential learning, and team teaching
- Experience teaching agriculture students
- Experience in active and experiential learning and team teaching
- Experience in African economics
- Specific Experience in African Economics and/or Agriculture
- Demonstrated success in research and/or extension (e.g. presentations, publications, awards)
- Demonstrated relevant management and leadership experience
- Ph.D. preferred
BENEFITS OF JOINING THE RICA TEAM
Founding staff at RICA will be part of creating something unique in the world. While working with other world‐class educators and researchers, you will transform agriculture in Rwanda and East Africa for a conservation‐minded and food‐secure future. RICA staff will also enjoy an internationally competitive salary commiserate with the applicant’s background, a relocation allowance, on‐campus staff housing, and an on‐campus meal plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill the information required, upload and submit the following documents in English to the link provided below.
Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.
- Cover Letter summarizing intent and suitability for the position
- A resume or CV
- Official degree certificate for highest degree obtained
- Summary of the applicant’s teaching experiences (About 500 words)
- The applicant's philosophy of education and how this aligns with the mission of RICA (500 words max)
- List of recommenders with contact information
Review of applications will begin October 1st, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Date: September 26, 2019