Agricultural Mechanization and Management Lecturer
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Fruit Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization, and Food Processing. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts, or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking an agricultural mechanization and management professional to join a world-class team of educators and researchers at RICA. Ideal candidates will have a passion for education with a focus on farm machine operations and management: tillage, planting, application of crop chemicals, harvesting, and preventive maintenance. The successful candidate will actively engage with students in the learning environment by demonstrating technical skills and mentoring students. Such a candidate would commit to the RICA teaching philosophy, which celebrates experiential learning that is founded in research and extends to the community. This position is a comprehensive teaching position whereby the successful candidate is a stakeholder in all aspects of the program, including but not limited to, the responsibilities listed below.
- Teach courses in agricultural mechanization and management, energy and power, and team teach courses in introduction to agriculture and practical farming.
- Coordinate with the operations & farm management teams to repair and maintain farm equipment.
- Leverage the Mechanization & Irrigation Enterprise facilities and resources for innovative entrepreneurial pursuits.
- Advise students and work with student in practical farming.
- Mentor students on capstone experiences.
- Champion Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles in teaching and mentoring.
- Participate in relevant community extension planning and activities.
- Fluent speaker of English.
- MS. or PhD in Agricultural Mechanization, Agricultural Systems Management, Agricultural Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, or related field.
- Strong knowledge of farm tractor systems and agricultural implements used in smallholder farming in developing countries.
- A desire to teach and mentor undergraduate students.
- Previous experience in teaching or in agricultural industry.
- Experience in active and experiential learning.
- Demonstrated success in research and/or extension (e.g. presentations, publications, awards).
- Demonstrated relevant management and leadership experience.
- PhD preferred.
BENEFITS OF JOINING THE RICA TEAM
Academic staff at RICA will be part of creating something unique in the world. While working with other world-class educators and researchers, you will transform agriculture in Rwanda and East Africa for a conservation-minded and food-secure future. RICA staff will also enjoy an internationally competitive salary commiserate with the applicant’s background, a relocation allowance, on-campus staff housing or a housing subsidy, and an on-campus meal plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following documents in English to RICA Human Resources website at https://rica.bamboohr.com/jobs/
- Cover Letter summarizing intent and suitability for the position
- A resume or CV
- Official degree certificate for highest degree obtained
- Summary of the applicant’s teaching experiences (About 500 words)
- The applicant's possible contribution and plan on teaching at RICA (About 500 words)
- List of recommenders with contact information
Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.
Review of applications will begin March 1, 2021 and will continue until a successful candidate is identified.
Approved: January 14, 2021
Richard B. Ferguson
Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, Research and Extension