Assistant or Associate Professor of One Health
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Position Title: Assistant or Associate Professor of One Health (rank commensurate with level of education and experience)
Reports to: Director, One Health
Group/Department: Center for One Health, University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location: Butaro and Kigali, Rwanda
The Faculty of One Health will be responsible for working as part of a team to develop the Center for One Health and implement its mission. The Faculty member will liaise closely with teams across at UGHE (including Executive Education, Global Health, Medicine, Nursing, Gender) to develop and implement One Health training, research and community engagement. The Faculty member must have a deep commitment to excellence in teaching and research and a broad expertise in the fields that make up One Health including animal, environment and human health. The Faculty member must also have proven expertise and track record in one of the fields that make up One Health. They will be required to conduct research and pursue external grant funding to advance One Health research.
The Faculty in One Health will also lead the implementation of a digitally-supported Community of Practice (CoP) for Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTD) Program Managers throughout Africa. The CoP will provide a collaborative platform for NTD Program Managers across Africa to share, learn, and work together on solving common NTD implementation and management challenges in the pursuit of reaching national and global NTD benchmarks. The Faculty in One Health will supervise a Faculty member (Lecturer) who is responsible for project management of the initiative.
- Undertake resource mobilization for One Health programming and research, including preparing grant applications to external funding sources, coordinating reporting to external funders and managing financial approvals and other financial processes
- Conduct One Health research in partnership with UGHE students, faculty, and other institutional partners
- Identify funding opportunities and develop research proposals
- Mentor students completing One Health, MGHD and other research projects through their practicum or other relevant research opportunities
- Support in writing project deliverables, such as protocols, reports, and publications
- Conduct literature searches and reviews and support with ethics review submissions
- Support the establishment of an interdisciplinary research team
- Support in the integration of One Health curriculum throughout all of UGHE’s programs
- Support the development of One Health graduate and professional programs
- Teach in One Health courses in the MGHD One Health concentration, MBBS and other programs
- Act a Course Director in modules of the MGHD One Health concentration
- Support the development of UGHE’s online programming
- Use technical content to develop assignments, instruction sequences for course delivery, assignments, and assessment tools
- Provide technical research to support One Health content development
- Recruit and coordinate part-time and visiting faculty to co-teach One Health courses
- Coordinate with the Educational Development and Quality Centre to implement evidence-based continuous improvement of teaching and courses
- Support UGHE academic processes and programs related to research, curriculum, staff, faculty and students
- Provide general administrative support to the Center for One Health
- Solicit and develop international institutional relationships and partnerships
- Serve on UGHE committees and represent UGHE on external committees as assigned
- Perform additional duties as required
Project Management of the Community of Practice (CoP)
- Provide expertise and leadership in managing the Community of Practice
- Serve as a co-facilitator and content manager of the CoP digital platform, including accessing and summarizing new and existing NTD resources and literature and managing message boards
- Populate CoP digital platform with content (discussion questions, new resources, etc) that inspires participation, conversation and connection.
- Update and publish digital platform content, including maintaining web pages and event calendars.
- Decisively problem solve implementation issues and guide team to resolution
- Identify obstacles to and find solutions for proper CoP implementation
- Oversee all project logistics and communication throughout the project lifecycle.
- Oversee the Leadership Council membership and plan and facilitate regular meetings
- Organize regular conference calls with partner organizations, including sharing agendas and action items
- Curate a monthly newsletter for the CoP in collaboration with the co-facilitator
- PhD in one of the fields that make up One Health (i.e. human, animal or environmental health)
- Proven subject matter expertise in one of the following subject areas: (1) medical or health sciences, (2) environmental sciences or environmental health or (3) animal sciences or veterinary medicine. Individuals with strong expertise in other subject areas that are foundational to the practice of One Health and and who can provide evidence of an ability to teach many different subjects may be considered
- Experience working on NTDs is an advantage
- At least three years of experience with teaching and curriculum development in higher education
- Familiarity and experience with innovative teaching methods, such as team-based learning and problem-based learning, blended learning, formative assessment, peer instruction, or online learning
- Track record of research productivity with peer-reviewed publications
- Familiarity with qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis and related software
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to effectively collaborate with culturally diverse staff across departments and countries
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical skills, good judgment, and creative problem-solving
- Fluency in English and French required; Kinyarwanda language skills desired but not mandatory
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing candidate’s experience working in a related field, (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in education, leadership and management experience; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (5) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications.
Please upload your cover letter, personal statement, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page.