Assistant Registrar for Admissions
Academic – Kigali, Kigali
Assistant Registrar for Admissions
The challenge: All across sub-Saharan Africa, millions of young people struggle every day with access to education and employment – and the kinds of livelihoods that lead to economic security and mobility for themselves and their families. Every young person deserves the chance to be educated; every young person deserves the opportunity to have a meaningful job.
Who we are: Kepler is a nonprofit university program that is building a transformative model of education-to-employment services for these young people across the region. Our ultimate goal is to contribute to the economic mobility of thousands of individuals, families and communities in all of our countries of operation. We want to reimagine what higher education can look like in sub-Saharan Africa.
What we do: Through a rigorous curriculum of in-person, online and on-the-job learning, Kepler students graduate with the relevant skills and the right attitude to meet the needs of the changing global economy. We partner closely with Southern New Hampshire University - a global leader in higher education - which allows our students to attain affordable, internationally recognized degrees while studying in East Africa.
Our history: Kepler launched in Rwanda in 2013. Our 50+ staff currently serve 550 students across two campuses in Rwanda – our flagship campus in Kigali, as well as a second campus in the Kiziba refugee camp in Western Rwanda, where we serve refugee learners.
The future: Kepler has an ambitious new strategy for the next five years, which will include launching in two new countries; expanding our academic offerings; partnering with other public and private sector universities; and reaching a new level of organizational sustainability.
About the Role:
Kepler is hiring an Assistant Registrar for Admissions. The role will combine both recruitment of students with general community outreach and marketing. Given Kepler’s growing student body, this role plays a big role in continuing to attract a diverse pool of candidates for each year’s intake. In addition, the role will include marketing Kepler to the community in order to build the brand and support the recruitment processes across East Africa. She/he will also collaborate with various other staff members to ensure effective support of students from admissions through to the transition to employment after graduation.
- Oversee the entire recruitment and admissions process from outreach up to preparing students for Orientation Week each year
- Collect and report data regarding admissions to staff, management team, stakeholders, etc.
- Secure partners in recruitment from secondary schools, NGOs, CBOs and manage these relationships throughout the year
- Manage the SIS data entry throughout the admissions process
- Work closely with the Academic Registrar and academic leadership to ensure the admissions entrance exam is aligned with Kepler academic requirements and is reviewed each year based on the need.
- Ensure all staff participating in admissions are trained
- Manage interns for the admissions process
- Ensure all recruitment events are completed in a professional manner
- Manage the admissions budget in collaboration with the Academic Registrar
- Speak on behalf of Kepler admissions at various events throughout the year
- Manage the email@example.com email address
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 1-2 years experience in marketing and/or admissions processes
- Highly motivated with a passion for education
- Has a passion for the Kepler mission and ability to share the mission with broad audiences
- Demonstrates leadership through participation, initiative and work ethic within the academic team
- Conducts himself/herself in a fashion that demonstrates service leadership
- Applies learning from personal professional development or Kepler-based professional development
- Has high expectations of him/herself and believes in high expectations for others
- Is open and willing to give and receive feedback from all stakeholders within the organization including students, colleagues and supervisors.
- Strong written communication skills - displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal formats
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda, French is a plus
- Exceeds at building and maintaining relationships, online and off.
- Has experience with Microsoft Office programs (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Possesses functional knowledge and/or personal experience with technology: Google Drive, Google Chrome
- Thrives in a dynamic environment and believes that change leads to progress
- Has experience in public speaking and possesses strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to type 50 words per minute
- Master’s degree
- At least two (2) years of teaching and research experience at university level or one (1) year of distinctive record of leadership and administration of a university-level institution;
- Experience working with a university located in the Rwanda
- Experience with supervision of admission, registration, results management and graduation
Reports to the Academic Registrar