Job offer: Banking and Microfinance Advisor
Sparkassenstiftung für Internationale Kooperation e.V. (Savings Banks Foundation for International Cooperation, SBFIC) is a German-based non-profit organization that is active in partnership projects in more than 50 countries worldwide. Among its key principles is the combination of local and international expertise to provide excellent technical advisory to its partner organizations.
The 416 sector-based Savings and Credit Cooperatives (Umurenge SACCOs) in Rwanda, which serve more than 3 million members in all over the country, have contributed significantly to the increase of financial inclusion for the poor and rural population. However, various structural obstacles hinder their sustainable performance. In order to address these obstacles, the Government of Rwanda initiated a professionalization program in 2015, which is composed of the three pillars
I. Automation of Umurenge SACCOs,
II. Consolidation of Umurenge SACCOs at District level and
III. Establishment of a Cooperative Bank.
Since the start of the project, Sparkassenstiftung has had the role of a technical advisor and works closely with Rwandan authorities and other local partner organizations, which include, among others, the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MINECOFIN) as well as the Rwanda Cooperative Agency (RCA).
The SACCO professionalization team is one of the four Sparkassenstiftung teams working in Rwanda. We are right now looking for a Banking and Microfinance Advisor to support our SACCO professionalization team.
Roles and responsibilities of the Banking and Microfinance Advisor
- Support the SACCO professionalization in all its activities related to the three project pillars:
- Automation of Umurenge SACCOs:
- Work out concepts, documents, processes, and templates to facilitate the conduction of data cleaning and due diligence activities in all 416 Umurenge SACCOs
- Support in the training of Umurenge SACCOs, data cleaners, and supervisors
- Perform quality assurance to ensure a successful data cleaning and due diligence is done in each SACCO
- Consolidation of Umurenge SACCOs at District level:
- Draft, review and update procedure manuals relating to all processes (management, front-, middle- and back-office) of District SACCOs and align them with all stakeholders
- Work out a concept for business planning (market analysis, SWOT analysis, product, and marketing plan, activity plan, financial forecasting) and align it with all stakeholders
- Perform comprehensive collaborative business planning for all 30 District-SACCOs
- Work out a detailed plan on the consolidation (technical, process, legal and financial merger) of Umurenge SACCOs into District SACCOs
- Establishment of a Cooperative Bank:
- Draft and review a Cooperative Bank business plan in collaboration with other team members and project stakeholders
- Work out a detailed plan on the essential steps to establish a Cooperative Bank and align it with stakeholders
- Cross-cutting tasks for all pillars include:
- Support in providing capacity building and training to beneficiaries in collaboration with our project partners
- Support our partner organizations in PR, awareness-raising or membership campaigns, communicating with local promoters, stakeholders, and beneficiaries
- Ensure the long-term sustainability of all project activities and implement continuous monitoring and evaluation to control the achievement of the project goals
- Be flexible to work on other tasks agreed with our partner organizations and as assigned by the head of the program
- Provide reports as required by Sparkassenstiftung’s procedures
- Automation of Umurenge SACCOs:
- Master’s degree in finance, economics, business administration, or a related subject
- At least 10 years of overall working experience
- At least 5 years’ working experience in financial institutions in Rwanda, preferably in both the banking and the microfinance sector
- Experience in the different fields of relevance to the project, i.e.
- business planning of financial institutions
- organizational development of financial institutions
- strategic planning of financial institutions
- business modeling and financial forecasting
- the technical and legal merger of financial institutions
- project management
- Experience to work as an advisor/consultant is an added value
- Experience to work in international teams is an added value
- Ability and creativity to develop consistent and comprehensive concepts under minimal guidance
- Ability to switch from working thoroughly with strong attention to detail and taking a hands-on implementation approach, depending on the necessities
- Excellent MS Office skills, particularly for MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint
- Distinct presentation and facilitation skills
- Excellent organizational skills, with a strong sense for the prioritization
- Flexibility to work on multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Sensitivity to communicate and behave adequately in the advisory role in an international environment, and in a project with a strong impact on the national development agenda
- Results-oriented working attitude towards both strategic and operational goals
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda and English (excellent written and spoken skills). French is a plus.
The Banking and Microfinance Advisor will be based in Kigali, Rwanda. Business trips to other locations in Rwanda, especially to the different SACCOs, are possible. Part-time home office work can be agreed upon with the Head of the SACCO professionalization program at Sparkassenstiftung if the kind of work allows.
The Banking and Microfinance Advisor will report to the Head of the SACCO Professionalization Program at Sparkassenstiftung.
How to apply
Please submit your updated CV and a cover letter clearly demonstrating your knowledge, experience, and motivation as well as highlighting your suitability for the assignment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be received no later than November 28th, 2020.