GOLDEN PLAZA, 3rd Floor
KG 546 Street 1
Tel.: + (250) 738795924
Job Opportunity: Biomedical Engineer
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work. Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective. Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
The Ingobyi Activity is a five-year cooperative agreement to improve the quality of reproductive, Maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH) and malaria services, in a sustainable manner with the goal of reducing neonatal, child and maternal mortality in Rwanda. The Ingobyi Activity builds upon the tremendous gains Rwanda has made in the health sector as well as previous USAID investments to provide a healthier, more productive future for all Rwandans.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
IntraHealth is seeking a Biomedical Engineer to support equipment maintenance at USAID Ingobyi supported hospitals. To further reduce maternal and neonatal mortality, the availability and functionality of life saving medical equipment is crucial. The Government of Rwanda and partners have been working to provide basic equipment in all health facilities, particularly hospitals. However, use of the equipment is compromised by lack of capacity of the hospitals to perform adequate preventive and curative maintenance, quality control and calibration which must be performed according to manufacturers’ recommendations. Due to lack of maintenance services, many lifesaving pieces of equipment break down and end up in storage areas at the hospitals and patient management gets constrained. The Ingobyi Biomedical Engineer will support hospital Biomedical technicians to conduct maintenance and repair services for their equipment. He/she will also support the team to identify needed spare parts for lifesaving MCH equipment, and support capacity building of hospital Biomedical technicians.
The incumbent will work closely with Ingobyi zonal specialists and hospital based Biomedical technicians to provide technical support to 26 hospitals and 2 medicalized health centers during equipment installation, adjustment, maintenance, repair, replacement, and proper use. This role will include a combination of direct work on hospital equipment as well as training and mentorship for Biomedical technicians. In addition, the engineer will work closely with hospitals to develop long term maintenance plans to ensure safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of lifesaving MCH equipment. The Biomedical Engineer will advocate for procurement of spare parts for existing equipment or other needed equipment at hospital or district levels. He/she will ensure that all procured equipment respects the national standards and specifications. The position will report to the Senior RMNCH specialist.
- Provide technical support to both USAID Ingobyi Activity and health facilities in the supported districts in the following areas: planning, technical specifications, installation, maintenance, adjustment, repair, replacement, and proper use of life saving MCH equipment.
- Work with hospital teams to assess the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of existing lifesaving MCH equipment.
- Provide capacity building of available health providers and Biomedical technicians on maintenance, repair, replacement and proper use of existing lifesaving MCH equipment as needed.
- Work with the hospital technicians to develop or update long term maintenance plans for medical equipment and infrastructure that will allow sustainability and continuous use of medical equipment.
- Ensure that existing and new medical equipment are maintained and used according to the national and manufacturer recommendations.
- As needed, provide guidance in terms of equipment to be procured and related specifications and assist with annual planning and budgeting for medical equipment.
- Support with technical analysis of bids during procurement of medical equipment.
- Contribute to providing evidence-based documentation of experiences using biomedical equipment.
- Provide any other support as assigned by supervisor.
- Education and Experience: Master’s degree in biomedical engineering, Electronics or Biomedical Technology with at least 8 years of relevant experience, Or bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electronics or Biomedical Technology with at least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in international public health is highly preferred.
- Proven and strong experience & skills in using lifesaving MCH equipment
- Proven experience in supporting health facilities on maintenance, repair, replacement and proper use of existing lifesaving MCH equipment as needed.
- Maintains equipment by completing preventive maintenance schedules, conducting tests and troubleshooting and repairing malfunctions.
- Experience working for USAID or other donor funded projects will be preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills
- Familiarity with Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Flexibility, independence and creativity
- Fluency in English, Kinyarwanda and French
Managing Performance: Ability to plan and design practices, processes and procedures that allow for effective management of people, resources and processes to optimize overall organizational performance. Managing for performance includes the ability to delegate and encourage growth and leadership across the team(s) as part of maximizing performance and productivity.
Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Effective Communication (Oral & Written): Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Risk Management: Knowledge of processes, tools and techniques for assessing and controlling the organization's exposure to risks of various kinds; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within assigned role that result in improvement of IntraHealth's performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth's success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
HOW TO APPLY:
Learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
- The application deadline is July 31, 2021. However, the shortlisting and interviews will be done on rolling basis until the position is filled. Only applicants fulfilling the above requirements will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks from the submission, consider your application unsuccessful