Building Maintenance Officer
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co‐curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Beef Cattle and Small Ruminants, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. The curriculum is designed to incorporate threads of Innovation, Conservation, OneHealth Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts, or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking a Building Maintenance Officer to supervise, organise, monitor, audit and control the direct labour of maintenance staff and sub-contracted engineering maintenance staff. The Building Maintenance Officer will work within the Facilities Department to contribute to the smooth running of the Campus facilities, reporting to the Building & Grounds Maintenance Manager.
- Maintain and manage the condition of campus buildings to ensure the efficient operation of university activities (includes managing maintenance engineer/technician team to ensure a high quality of service delivery at all times). Maintain and repair electrical components (bulbs, wiring, appliances), civil works (plaster, paint, concrete, structural), plumbing (toilets, sinks, interior plumbing).
- Be proactive in recognising defects or potential problems and take action, where possible, to maintain a high quality and safe environment.
- Receive, prioritize and issue requisitions for breakdown and repair works and monitor progress to completion.
- Organise planned maintenance activities on a checklist and schedule, reporting completion to supervisors.
- Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following fields: Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Management.
- Detailed understanding of electrical systems, plumbing systems, and other systems related to building maintenance and repair.
- 2-3 years experience in the maintenance and repair of buildings (residential, commercial, public).
- Experience supervising teams of technicians, and proven experience of stock/inventory control, ordering procedures.
- Willingness to live within 5km of RICA Campus in Bugesera, and able to commute to work by bicycle or walking on foot.
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel) and writing/reading skills.
- Experience in maintenance of a University campus.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application form using the following link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZ9uVoIarfhCa40gy2wnEx1V563WPHPnaniQu5h_v7FuabgA/viewform?usp=sf_link
Review of applications will begin May 15th, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Date: November 2, 2018