DESCRIPTION OF THE ORGANIZATION
One Acre Fund - TUBURA is an agricultural NGO working in East Africa to support smallholder farmers. We offer our members a range of services from the delivery of agricultural inputs to credit and training with the objective of increasing harvests and revenues. Established in Burundi in 2012, we are a fast-growing organization, which now has more than 700 employees nationwide. As of 2017, we serve over 90,000 households in 5 provinces; Muramvya, Gitega, Kayanza, Mwaro, and Ngozi. For more information visit our website: http://www.oneacrefund.org
The role of the External Relations team is to establish close collaboration between One Acre Fund and our partners, including the Government of Burundi, the private sector and international institutions, to jointly achieve our common goals in the agricultural sector. We also ensure that One Acre Fund is fully compliant with all rules and regulations required to operate within Burundi. The team is composed of three sub-departments; a national and local relations department, a legal compliance department and a communication department. These departments work together to manage the organization's reputation in Burundi among different target actors. Your role as an external relations associate will be to set the objectives, establish the strategy and ensure the execution of the activities of the department, in close collaboration with the Country Director and the head of the department at a global level. You will be responsible for managing a team of more than five people, both in terms of their work and their professional development.
Roles and responsibilities
The external relations lead will have the following roles and responsibilities:
- Setting team strategies and objectives; ensuring team alignment for strong execution of agreed strategies
- Budget: develop and ensure effective oversight of team budget a
- Leadership and management of the external relations team: responsible for building a high performing and motivated team, able to deliver on agreed strategies and objectives
- Lead the execution of complex streams of work, including establishing and maintaining relationships with key players in the agricultural sector such as the Ministry of Agriculture, local authorities, research institutes, and other partners. We are looking for demonstrable skills in
- Advocacy: the ability to craft strategic messages, identify key stakeholders and use effective channels to reach them and influence change
- Negotiation: The ability to understand multiple interests, facilitate consensus to arrive at mutually agreeable solutions between different parties; use astute political judgment and relationship skills to effectively and diplomatically manage challenges
- Establishment and supported execution of a communication strategy to make the organization’s objectives, values, and results known to targets at the national level.
- Ensure effective communication, collaboration and coordination across different departments within the organization to foster understanding and alignment around agreed strategies for stronger execution. Foster increased inter-departmental collaboration and effective risk management.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests in the development of management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will spend a lot of time on your professional development. We continuously provide concrete feedback through mentorship and regular career reviews in the form of management advice. We also hold regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to create truly exciting roles. Due to our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles that open up and full of opportunities in different functions.
We are looking for a professional with at least three years of experience and a clear interest in our mission. Candidates who meet the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong personal commitment to the mission of the organization and shared values
- Holder of a Bachelor's degree / Bachelor's degree in Communication, International Relations, political science or other related fields. The Master level degree would be a plus
- Advocacy, communication and negotiation skills: We are looking for someone who can access key stakeholders and foster collaboration among different stakeholders in pursuit of our mission.
- A record of success working with multiple external stakeholders to achieve positive change in the agriculture and development sectors in Africa. Stakeholders include government institutions, research institutes or other government agencies focused on agriculture and development in Africa.
- Ability to function independently and to be enterprising: we are looking for a self-driven, highly organized, disciplined, solution-oriented and creative person, able to work with minimal supervision.
- Speak and write fluently in French. Professional proficiency in English. Candidates who speak Kirundi are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Burundian nationality is preferred, but the position is open to candidates of other nationalities.
- Ability to set goals and achieve them
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to solve problems independently
- Ability to work with and develop others
- To be honest and humble
- Being organized and attentive to details
- Passion to serve Burundian farmers
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
We offer a modest starting salary that guarantees a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-building role with the possibility of performance-based increases and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance paid time off
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes; Burundian candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.