VVOB – education for development is an international non-profit organisation with over 35 years of experience in quality education. Through capacity development, VVOB provides support to ministries of education in Africa, Asia and South America to improve (initial) professional development of teachers and school leaders in early childhood, primary, general secondary, and technical and vocational education.
Quality education is the foundation for development. VVOB contributes to an equitable world in which governments are capacitated to respect, protect and fulfil the right to quality education for every learner, without any form of discrimination.
VVOB ensures the improvement of the quality of education:
- through capacity building of government education actors and other education actors in the global South. This is achieved through technical assistance provided by local and international experts.
- by connecting these actors in the global South with each other, and connecting actors in the North with actors in the South. This way, VVOB facilitates knowledge exchange between partners with a similar mission.
- by inspiring education actors in Belgium and the global South on equity-related issues in education, based on worldwide research, experiences and expertise.
Task and profile of the Expert (Operations Manager):
The Operations Manager contribute to VVOB’s ambition and values by setting up, managing, executing, monitoring, and optimizing our operational systems and guiding the operations team (Finance, Procurement, HR, Logistics) in doing so. As a key member of the management team, the Operations Manager knows how to inspire direct reports to grow and change with us and you easily navigate between operations and strategy.
The operations manager reports to the Country Programmes Manager and is part of and working closely with the other members of a country’s management team and is responsible for the operations department, thus managing all possible direct reports within this department. Furthermore, the Operations Manager works closely together with the operations departments at the Head office.
- strengthen and oversee effective systems and procedures for HR management, manage HR policies and procedures aligned with global VVOB standards and local laws.
- maintain, strengthen, and oversee effective systems and procedures for financial management, reporting and auditing and manage finance policies aligned with global standards and local laws.
- oversee the procurement, logistics, office IT and administrative functions ensuring value, efficiency, and compliance of the organization to local and global policies. Review and manage contracts with suppliers and staff and ensure their compliance VVOB procedures and relevant country laws.
- provide strong organizational leadership (on-the-job mentoring, coaching, capacity development, change management) for direct reports and foster good relationships with and between partners and teams, supporting a positive organizational culture. Leading by example, represent our organization towards external stakeholders in domains of HR, finance, procurement, and operations.
The Operations Manager performs any other duties assigned by the supervisor in line with the position holder’s capacities.
Required essential expertise and experience:
- Master’s degree in business management, accounting, law, public admin, HR management or related field or equivalent experience
- 5 years of Operational management experience in at least 2 out of 3 of the following result areas of the role which are: Finance, HR, and procurement
- 3 years of experience in leading multicultural and effective teams
- 5 years IT expertise: bookkeeping software, Office 365, spreadsheet skills, managing IT systems
- Language skills: English CEFR Level C1
- Core competences (continuous improvement, result orientation and cooperation) and role competences (vision building, giving direction, communication skills, agility, reliability)
Nationality: this assignment is open to for both Rwandan nationals as regional/international profiles
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Duration: 1 year (a maximum estimated quantity of 250 working days; 1 working day = 8 hours)
Start date: as soon as possible: preferably during August or September 2022
Deliverables / outputs
Monthly detailed timesheets.