University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job title: Campus Gardener
Report to: Head Gardener
Business/Department: Infrastructure Department
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Burera District
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all. UGHE is pioneering a new way of training leaders who will emerge ready to develop health care services and systems that connect neglected communities with essential and life-saving attention. UGHE has established in 2014 thanks to a visionary partnership of the Cummings Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Partners in Health, and the Rwandan Government.
Reporting to the Head Gardener, the candidate will be responsible for maintaining the campus garden by planning it and supervising the campus gardening team. The individual will be based at UGHE Butaro campus but will work at other UGHE sites/campus-based on needs. The candidate must demonstrate a sound knowledge of all plumbing works and demonstrate an ability to work on their own initiative. We are looking for a hands-on, skilled, enthusiastic, innovative, and dynamic gardener who will effectively and efficiently take care of the whole campus garden.
- Main duties
Working as part of the Facilities Maintenance Team, as the campus gardener, you will be responsible for:
- Planning the campus garden.
- Advising different types of plants needed in different garden areas.
- Supervising gardeners in their daily work.
- Conducting garden boosting projects by planning them and implementing them.
- Ensuring that all campus gardens are in good condition.
- Plan tree planting at campus and maintain them regularly.
- Recommend changes or upgrades to campus gardens.
- Producing a list of all needed plants and trees for the campus garden maintenance.
- Producing reports of the activities done.
- Work hand to hand with the head gardener and assist him in work planning.
- Provide support to all garden maintenance and upgrade initiatives
- Conduct any other duties assigned to him/her by his line manager.
2. Job Specification and requirements
- Demonstrate previous knowledge & experience in garden maintenance work.
- Holding a gardening TVET certificate or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of work experience.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of different tree species with their specifications.
- Being able to use hand tools and conduct gardening tasks by himself.
- Being able to take instructions and offer advice when needed.
- Demonstrate communication skills.
- Have basic computer knowledge; ie., emails, Microsoft Words, Excel,..
- Able to speak English and Speaking French will be an added value, in addition to these mentioned earlier.
- Formally trained in gardening.
- Previously worked in a campus or any other multi-user environment.
- Experience in garden project work.
How to apply
Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter detailing their interest and aptitude for this position by the link:https://www.pih.org/pages/employment?p=job%2FohVNgfwZ
The deadline: 3rd October 2021