Job Description –Chef de Cuisine
- Position Details
- Position Chef de Cuisine
- Level Assistant Manager
- Department Culinary
- Reports to Executive Chef
- Subordinates Chefs & Stewards
- Job Details & Requirements
At One&Only our passion is to create moments of joy, where guests can truly let loose, forget the world and feel alive.
Our Colleagues are tuned-in and are the beating heart of our brand. We don’t just operate amazing resorts, we create joy in everything we do.
Due to the location and complexities of the operation at One and Only Gorilla’s Nest, you will be required to work in other departments as and when required and support the team to deliver the customer experience.
To support the Executive Chef in ensuring the food offering is of the required standard of One&Only. Ensure all important information is communicated with the direct supervisor. All HACCP standards are followed and improved consistently. Ensure all guest requests is handled with care and accommodated where possible. Maintain the highest levels of personal hygiene and grooming at all times, as per standard. Consistently train the Subordinates, to ensure the standards are maintained. Ensure the operating equipment is maintained and the inventory level is in order. Ensure daily and weekly ordering of products is in accordance with the occupation of the Lodge. Assists Executive Chef to lead the Team in the assigned area.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Be familiar with workplace policies, rules, and procedures
- At all times, adhere to Colleague handbook, group and unit policies, departmental operating procedures/workflows, ad hoc communication (notices, instructions by management, meetings, etc..), legal and contractual obligations (health and safety, good faith, conditions of employment)
- Ensures the quality levels of kitchen production and presentation is maintained at its highest level at all times.
- Creates new products,
- be innovative and strive for change, continually be up to date with food trends and fashion
- Presents oneself in a way that enhances the overall guest experience, by adding life and energy into each outlet.
- Ensures that all mise en place is correctly prepared prior to commence service.
- Demonstrates excellent product knowledge of all food and special functions held at the Lodge.
- Participates in the service of any special functions or events organized by the Lodge.
- Monitors systematically the performance of the department and intervenes immediately if deviations occur.
- Attends the daily Department Head meeting in absence of the Executive Chef.
- Ensures all food requisitions are prepared within the time parameters, set by the Lodge and always display attributes of genuine hospitality.
- Conducts performance appraisals for kitchen Colleagues.
- Monitors colleague’s compliance to job profiles
- Check and ensure all colleagues are on duty and keep an attendance register
- With the Executive chef do development interviews with colleagues (highlight training needs, decided on a plan of action, and track progress) on a quarterly basis, in conjunction with performance appraisals
- Establishes and maintains smooth personal and work relationships in the kitchen.
- Remains current on all Lodge happenings, including guests in-house, arrivals, and departures, as well as daily events.
- Assists supervisors in generating work schedules for kitchen personnel, according to forecasted demand requirements.
- Performs any additional or special duties, as directed by the Executive Chef.
- Ordering and keeping fair stocks.
- Minimizing wastage through creative recycling.
- Ensures expiree dates are labeled on products that are required.
- Do regular spot checks on all expiry items.
- Responsible of the daily market list during the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Maintains highest levels of personal hygiene and grooming at all times, as per standard.
- Ensures that a safe, hygienically fit the working environment is maintained at all times and reports any concerns or faults immediately.
- Arrange regular deep cleaning of the kitchen and maintain hygiene procedures and controls
- All food to be wrapped, marked, dated, and stored on designated shelves at the correct temperature
- Ongoing - 95% quarterly hygiene audit score
- Ensures kitchen and back areas are thoroughly clean always.
- Ensures that equipment is cleaned, when necessary or according to their schedules.
- Maintains and creates a working environment that reflects a sense of place.
- Attends the daily kitchen briefings.
- Continuously trains and motivates subordinates to ensure Lodges standards are maintained.
- Delegates responsibilities to Colleagues and ensures tasks are completed.
- Ensures that channels of communication are respected, and information is disseminated to the correct receivers.
- Convene daily, weekly, and monthly departmental meetings
- Attends monthly communication meetings.
- Conducts a daily briefing prior to service.
- Attends all training carried out by the Training Department, executive chef, and management
- In-depth training of his/her Colleagues.
- Attends weekly F&B meetings F&B meetings.
- Conducts a monthly communication meeting.
- Conducts a daily briefing prior to service and a debriefing, once a week with Colleagues.
- Assists in the process of recruiting new employees for each of the respective kitchens.
- When driving Lodge’s buggies, ensures that rules and regulations are followed at all times.
- Ensure a safe and healthy work environment for colleagues
- Ensure that all equipment is accompanied by safety instructions on how to use and clean and ensure colleagues are following procedures
- All materials issued from the first aid box to be recorded to be replenished
- Ensure all storage areas are locked after service
- Handles any guest’s complaint in a professional manner, as per Lodge Policy & Procedure (service recovery).
- Ensures that disciplinary actions are taken, when necessary, according to Lodge Policy & Procedure.
- Practices proper telephone etiquette with Colleagues and Lodge’s guests.
- Ensures excellent communication and working relationships with Colleagues are maintained and contribute to the team spirit.
- Exhibits outstanding knowledge of the Lodge and Rwandan culture.
- Knows and applies Lodge Policy & Procedure, including those for emergency situations.
- Ensures maintenance work is completed, in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensures all fixed assets are well maintained.
- Demonstrates knowledge and interest in the goals, and objectives of the One&Only brand.
- Ensures all activities are carried out honestly, ethically, and within the parameters of the Rwandan Law.
- Ensures that all tasks assigned by superiors are completed, in a timely fashion.
- Should be in abidance with the expectations defined in the job responsibilities.
- Completes and efficiently sets up the respective kitchen.
- Demonstrates individual productivity and work efficiency.
- Training Colleagues and their performance.
- Attends shifts with punctuality.
- Align food costs within budget for the kitchen.
Skills, Experience & Educational Requirements
- Culinary Diploma and 2 work experience in a Lodge environment (preferable five stars) is a valuable addition.
- Work experiences in various types of cuisine and kitchen set-ups
- Fluency in English is essential, any additional languages are preferable.
- Intermediate HACCP certified
- Intermediate computer competency including excel
- Leadership program certified
- Core Values & Competencies
Blow Away The Customer
- I care and work towards exceeding the expectations of my customers
- I am proactive and deliver unique and everlasting memories for our customers
Develop Passionate and Committed People
- I am committed to being thoughtful towards our colleagues
- I am passionate about my role
Continuously Strive for Perfections (good enough never is)
- I constantly seek new ways and ideas to improve what I do
- I am inspired to make a difference
Achieve Sustainable Bottom Line Performance
- I am honest and fair
- I take responsibility and contribute towards the financial performance of where I work
Happy to join us! Share your CV via the “Apply for this job" button below, not later than November 10th, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.