Chief of Party – USAID Orora Wihaze Activity
Around the globe, RTI's work is helping foster stronger food systems, reduce malnutrition in all its forms, build resilience and engage the next generation of food security leaders. RTI is currently partnering on nearly 30 projects in East Africa, including activities focused on private sector-driven agricultural growth in Rwanda and market systems development in Kenya. To build on these efforts, RTI is currently seeking a Chief of Party for an anticipated is an anticipated USAID-funded 5-year activity - Rwanda Orora Wihaze. The objective of this project is to sustainably increase the availability of, access to, and consumption of animal source foods (ASF) through the development of a profitable market.
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for the strategic oversight, overall leadership and technical direction to the project. The COP will serve as the main point of contact for USAID, Government of Rwanda, and other stakeholders as necessary and supervising technical and operational leads to ensure smooth implementation. This position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda with frequent travel to local field sites.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manages client relations and serves as primary liaison and RTI representative with the client and stakeholders regarding overall policy, resource mobilization, and allocation
- Provide strategic leadership to the design and implementation of the project activities and oversees program planning, monitoring, reporting evaluation and overall learning;
- Holds primary responsibility for project performance and budget management
- Leads planning, oversight, and coordination of all project activities and personnel, operational and technical
- Responsible for ensuring quality control and responsiveness for all technical deliverables
- Oversees all coordination with local government authorities and relevant stakeholders.
- Manage relationship with implementing partners;
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with RTI’s standard operating procedures, and USAID policies and regulations, and national policies and laws;
- Ensure mechanisms are in place to monitor the implementation of projects, including progress toward achieving objectives and targets with high-quality and on-time performance;
- Ensure timely, high-quality and complete submission of work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by the donor;
- Ensure gender equality approaches are integrated into programming; implement an engendered design, identifying learnings on a regular basis, refining the design as needed to improve gender equality across project activities;
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners and community-based organizations;
- Encourage learning and knowledge sharing as an essential part of doing business and ensure employees own their own learning
- Create a collaborative organizational culture and facilitate exchange of knowledge for cross-organizational learning;
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in international development, agriculture, economics or a closely related field is required.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressive experience designing, implementing and managing projects of similar size and scope in developing countries required; Rwanda or East Africa experience preferred.
- At least five (5) years of management experience including direct supervision of professional and support staff and assembling teams working on multi-faceted international development programs required.
- Proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong leadership qualities and depth and breadth of technical and management expertise in nutrition, livestock, and market system development.
- Experience in developing capacity building and service delivery through local stakeholders is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English required.
To apply, please email your CV/resume to F_Agrecruit@rti.org. English language CVs required. Please indicate “Chief of Party” in the subject line.
RTI offers competitive compensation and benefits and robust home office project support. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. RTI International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.