We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and outreach in mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa's brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa's future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a pan-African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
Each AIMS centre provides an intensive and broad education to over 50 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, governance and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Climate Science Specialist
Within the framework of the Mathematical Sciences for Climate Change Resilience (MS4CR) program at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences – Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS NEI), the Climate Science Specialist will be responsible for providing expert advice on developing a climate science curriculum for the AIMS one-year Master’s program, identifying relevant experts as lecturers or research supervisors, and seeking out relevant partnerships.
We are in search of a smart, enthusiastic individual to join our academic and research team as the Climate Science Specialist. Inspired by an ambitious mandate, and guided by the AIMS Network’s Director of Research, you will play a leadership role in the review and establishment of the academic curriculum in Rwanda (Climate Science Stream) and across the AIMS Centres (climate course options).
As an aspiring climate science professional, you will develop a core syllabus for the Climate Science Stream of the AIMS one-year Master’s in Mathematical Sciences; the syllabus should place a strong emphasis on how mathematical sciences (mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, etc.) can contribute to climate change modeling, adaptation, and resilience.
Additionally, you will assist Academic Directors of AIMS Centres with identifying suitable experts to serve as lecturers, tutors, and research supervisors in the Climate Science Stream; identify and promote the adoption of practices that will enhance climate resilience of AIMS activities at Secretariat, Centre, and Chapter levels; and provide training to AIMS staff and students on such climate-smart practices.
This is a 1-year contract opportunity based at the AIMS Center in Kigali, Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
- PhD in Climate or Environmental Sciences
- Expertise in developing university-level climate science curricula
- Familiarity with the unique course structures and teaching philosophy of AIMS
- An extensive research record and academic publications in Climate or Environmental Sciences
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in curriculum development
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with the MS4CR team and project stakeholders
- High degree of comfort in Results Based Management, M&E and reporting.
- Ability to make decisions and exercises good judgement providing solutions to challenges experienced while implementing programs.
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills in English and French, both spoken and written.
- Results-driven and motivated by a commitment to performance excellence.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Internet applications (Skype, Gmail, Dropbox, etc.).
- Ability to set and achieve clear objectives and deadlines.
- Adaptable, curious, and creative.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Appreciation of and/or training in gender equality and inclusion.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter who enjoys a dynamic work environment.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Internet applications (Skype, Gmail, etc.).
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to: email@example.com (i.e. quote “Climate Science Specialist” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until August 31, 2018.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.