Function: Government Relations
Employer: One Acre Fund
Position: Communication Specialist
Job Location: Kigali
Deadline: September 30th, 2018
Commitment: Minimum commitment of 2 years
Who We Are
The Partnerships Division manages external relations and communications with the Government of Rwanda and other stakeholders. The Media Strategist should quickly learn the intimate details of TUBURA’s Core and Government Services programs in order to accurately communicate key details to external stakeholders – specifically, members of the press in Rwanda. This will involve time in the field in order to understand program implementation, as well as time with all team members, enabling him/her to find creative and strategic ways to communicate the organization’s work to journalists, editors and radio and TV producers.
The candidate should ideally understand social media strategy – or be willing to learn about it -- and be prepared to write pitches and reach out to media in Kigali and to regional media outlets in Rwanda.
In addition, the candidate will be responsible for translating quantitative program data into sound bites and compelling and quotable messaging for various campaigns, whether geared toward government stakeholders or toward members of the media.
Our aim is to hire an enterprising individual who will help us improve the focus, quality and frequency of media coverage of TUBURA in Rwanda; strengthen TUBURA’s relationships with key members of the media; and interpret strategic direction and vision communicated by key leadership to identify media objectives.
Activities will focus on three scopes of work:
- Producing TUBURA’s regular reports to government, including quarterly and annual reports; this involves the information gathering, analysis, writing, and production of the reports
- Producing additional communications materials, including presentations, reports, videos, pamphlets, fact sheets, booklets, etc
- Gathering all program information and making it accessible to internal stakeholders through a dashboard. Identify or create new communications systems for internal coordination and communication
- Engagement with government officials at high-level events such as advisory council meetings, national season launches and press conferences
- Planning, executing and managing high-level government-focused events
- Develop and direct marketing efforts to increase the performance and value of the One Acre Fund Rwanda brand
- Monitor social media and online media data to ensure that the right messaging around the organization is being delivered
- Support the design and implementation of social media campaigns involving dissemination via our Twitter and FB accounts
- Oversee community management strategy, ensuring that TUBURA’s brand voice is consistent and responses to followers are informative, engaging and memorable
- Monitor and track TUBURA’s social media accounts
- Craft external media- or government-facing talking points and messaging for various TUBURA projects
- Develop strong relationships with key members of the Kigali and regional Rwandan media, including bloggers and other influence rs
- Source story ideas from across TUBURA divisions and programs, and translate them into compelling and effective content for media pitches
- Serve as a liaison between the communications team and the GR team, both proactively and reactively (i.e. regular calls and document sharing with the Communications team, as well as being a primary point of contact if an incident should occur which requires media outreach)
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentor ship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 3-5 years of work experience, and a demonstrated long-term passion for development work. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Work Experience: Candidates should have 3-5 years of strong work experience in communications, public relations, and/or journalism. This experience should include the design of communication strategies, assembly of engaging communicating materials, and analysis of quantitative and qualitative information to produce analytical reports.
- Event Planning: Experience developing, planning and executing high-level events.
- Social Influencing Experience: A strong understanding of the social influencer space.
- Social Media Content Management: 2+ years creating and managing social media content.
- Attitude: Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with a willingness to learn about media strategy.
- Flexibility: You should be comfortable with ambiguity and quickly learning new skills and subjects.
- Growth: Potential to move into a GR leadership position within 6-12 months, based on performance.
- Other Skills: Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills; expert Microsoft Office (especially very strong PowerPoint and Excel skills). Knowledge of knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat would be an added plus.
- Language: Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda required; French is a bonus.
- Passion: Passionate and innovative about bringing new ideas to life.
We are looking for someone with leadership potential who is comfortable working independently. This is a career track role where you will be exposed to high level leadership for communication planning.
Please click on this link: https://oneacrefund.org/work-with-us/job-openings/g/?gh_jid=1314848
You will be prompted to a form that must be completed. At the end of the form you will have the opportunity to write a motivational letter and upload your CV.
We are offering a world class professional and international environment that focuses on your career development and are looking forward to receiving your application.
Please Note: One Acre Fund will never ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. If you are being approached by someone demanding money, please do not hesitate to report this to the Tubura Fraud Hotline: (+250) 786 908 557 (Do not use this number for any purpose other than reporting fraud attempts. If you misuse his number and use it for general information about the position and not to report Fraud, we will not consider you for this position).
One Acre Fund is an equal opportunity employer; all candidates with legal working age will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, region, sex, disability status or any other characteristic protected by the law.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via emails