Terms of Reference for the recruitment of Individual Consultant
COMMUNICATIONS AND BRANDING CONSULTANT
- Position title: Communications and Branding Consultant
- Contract Duration: Six months, may be extended subject to continued need for this role and availability of funds
- Application Deadline: 17th October 2021
I. About the Smart Africa
SMART Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government and a wide range of stakeholders including the private sector, international non-government organisations, and academia to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Smart Africa agenda is led by visionary Heads of State who believe in ICT’s power for the advancement and betterment of the African continent. This agenda will lead Africa to the 04th industrial revolution, using the transformative power of ICTs through a successful implementation and deployment of major ICT infrastructure, applications, services, and creating local relevant content for Africa while developing a vibrant ICT industry and creating jobs.
Smart Africa aims to put ICT at the centre of the national socio-economic development agenda of member countries, improve access to ICT, especially Broadband, improve accountability, efficiency, and openness through ICT. It promotes the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication while putting the Private Sector first and leveraging ICT to promote sustainable development. Visit https://smartafrica.org/ for more information about Smart Africa.
II. Responsibilities and work relationships
The Communications and Branding Consultant will contribute to the delivery of the Communications and Marketing department. She/He will report to the Director of Communications and Marketing and will work closely with the Marketing & Events team.
The Communications and Branding Consultant will lead corporate and event-specific branding and communications while continuously enhancing the brand, market awareness, and multi-channel communications of the organisation. The Consultant will create a comprehensive communication plan and implement branding and communication strategies in multiple mediums that include above-the-line channels, below-the-line channels, digital media, social media, websites, and conferences through public relations, branding, and communications.
The responsibilities of the Communications and Branding Consultant will cover the following work areas:
- Recommending strategies for brand growth and brand equity;
- Monitoring of the brand through digital and network tools;
- Participate in the selection and supervise external branding, media, and communications service providers to support and complement the SAS communications’ efforts in Africa;
- Provide strategic input for improvements and opportunities to strengthen the brand that results in increased membership uptake and brand loyalty;
- Manage the development of brand guidelines, manuals, templates, and materials while maintaining the integrity of Smart Africa’s vision, mission, and objectives;
- Monitor and advise all internal teams and external stakeholders to keep the Smart Africa brand direction accurately and with high quality;
- Coordinate, manage, and execute the design, production, and delivery of branding material, advertising material, and videos for Smart Africa, events, and projects;
- Work with the Marketing & Events team to identify opportunities for the promotion and alignment of the Smart Africa Secretariat and its work to global trends and issues;
- Manage communication and branding works either executed internally or by external agencies;
- Draft, monitor, and review press advisories, press releases, statements, pitch letters, blogs, and articles, etc. and online contents e.g., website, news articles, newsletters, email, digital social media, marketing materials, etc;
- Develop and maintain key relationships at various media outlets and platforms across the region and the world at large;
- Develop and execute communication strategies to reach national, regional, and international audiences;
- Define key objectives, work plan, timelines, and key deliverables for communications strategies and report on those regularly;
- Identify opportunities for traditional and/or online communications initiatives with key partners and make recommendations on how to strategically advance these initiatives;
- Support the creation and implementation of a long-term communication strategy and a tactical work plan;
- Support the communications team staffing in pace with company growth and goals.
- Guide the development and management of corporate and project websites and related content;
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the Smart Africa corporate and projects advertising strategy through various advertising media.
- Participate in negotiation of advertising contracts.
- Prepare a plan to implement and manage a social media and digital communication strategy;
- Work with internal colleagues (marketing, project managers, etc.) to identify promotional campaigns and produce effective promotional materials.
- Other responsibilities that may be assigned by Supervisor from time to time
Key Qualification and Experience requirements
- Master’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, media communications, journalism, or related fields. Bachelor’s degree applicants with outstanding experience will be also considered.
- 7+ years of proven work experience in communications, branding, public relations, and other relevant fields with:
- Experience in the Africa region will be an asset
- Experience in managing communication and media teams
- Strong experience in managing media campaigns
- Strong experience in developing and managing contents websites, social media, newsletters, etc.
- Strong experience in editing and proofreading
- Strong experience in writing reports, news articles, success stories, press briefs, statements, advocacy resources, etc.
- Strong experience in developing marketing materials
- Strong track record of success in raising the visibility of brands
Skills and Attributes
- Proven ability to manage the workflow of projects, including facilitating project scope, identifying goals and deliverables, planning and scheduling project timelines, and monitoring project progress.
- Broad awareness and deep understanding of the global and Africa media landscape and current trends.
- Ability to communicate effectively and adapt to a rapidly evolving media environment.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated ability to research, write, fact-check, and edit a variety of communication pieces for target audiences.
- Self-drive, initiatives taking and ability to work without supervision.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to concurrently manage multiple assignments and deliver within deadlines.
Excellent proficiency in both written and oral communication required in French and English. Proficiency in other international languages spoken in Africa will be an asset.
IV. Duration of the Assignment
The expected duration of the assignment will be of 6 months and may be extended subject to continued need for this role and availability of funds.
V. Duty Station
The position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda. The Secretariat may discretionarily permit to work remotely for reasons such as COVID-19 prevention measures.
VI. Application Instructions and Deadline
Candidates should send the following documents to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 17th October 2021:
- A detailed CV in either English or French.
- A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to the responsibilities and requirements for this position.
- Copies of academic degree, professional certificates, and other relevant certificates