The organization Community-Based Sociotherapy Rwanda (CBS Rwanda) was established to contribute to the psychosocial well-being of people affected by the Genocide against the Tutsi and to strengthen interpersonal reconciliation and social cohesion at the grass-roots level.
The community-based sociotherapy approach uses the group as a therapeutic medium in the establishment of trust, the creation of an open environment for discussion and the formation of peer-support structures. The sociotherapy groups facilitate community members to identify, acknowledge, share, and manage together their everyday psychosocial problems related to the
recent history of political violence and its aftermath.
The terms of reference of the stated positions are detailed below:
Full-Time Communications Specialist
Starting date: 11th February 2019
Location: Kigali city
At the moment CBS Rwanda is looking for a Communications Specialist as part of the Senior Management Team based at CBS Rwanda’s Head Office in Kigali. As Communications Specialist you are a creative and excellent writer and a content manager that will support CBS Rwanda in the development of marketing materials and internal and external communications. Your role is to source, create, write and provide communication content that engages and educates a variety of audiences about the impact of CBS Rwanda’s activities.
This individual will report directly to the Executive Director and will provide high quality and effective external communication content to support fundraising and branding. You will also meet internal communication objectives and contribute to the Annual Report and donor reporting.
It will be a full-time position for a period of 22 months starting by 11th February 2019. S/he will be based in Kigali and may travel to different areas in the country when there is a need.
Duties and responsibilities
Responsibilities of the Communications Specialist will include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement an internal and external communications strategy for CBS Rwanda to streamline and increase communication and outreach materials and outputs.
- Develop communications products including, but not limited to, videos, success stories, social media posts, brochures, infographics, interviews, and press releases.
- Clarify goals for the new website and, develop a blue print for the architecture of the website and be actively involved in the design of the website.
- Write narrative content for communications products, such as newsletter articles, memo’s, success stories, and fact sheets.
- Coordinate translation of communication material as-needed.
- Travel to the field to document and gather information on project activities will be required.
- Establish communications standards and protocols for photos, videos, and interviews.
- Develop online fundraising strategies and be in charge of its implementation;
- Coordinate the communications-related planning and coordinating events, activities, and workshops with relevant stakeholders.
- Organize events during which the organization can meet with the public to increase project awareness or knowledge of their services or recent developments; Propose and manage advertising on behalf of the organization.
- Proactively identify media opportunities and establish media contacts and relations.
- Coordinate the communication of horizontal and vertical messages to/from senior leadership.
- Coordinate closely with the field team and CBS Rwanda’s partner organizations on communications needs and outputs.
Essential skills and qualifications
- A Master degree in Communications, Journalism or related fields; or
- A Bachelor degree in Communications, Journalism or related field in combination with at least 5 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working in communications.
- Experience writing content for various platforms, including websites, press releases, newsletters, magazine, marketing or story-telling writing.
- Experience in web design and content production and experience in copywriting and editing.
- Proven ability to write compelling copy suitable for donors and the ability to tailor content to different audiences and touch the hearts of donors through the written word. Experience in creating impactful presentations.
- High level of proficiency and extensive knowledge of MS Office, video and photo editing software and graphic design software.
- Experience with the development of an external and internal communication strategy and a strategy for online fundraising.
- Proven excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with journalistic experience, is desirable.
- Commitment to the goals and principles of the community-based sociotherapy.
- High level of interpersonal skills and ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion.
- Ability to assess and manage multiple competing priorities and work well under pressure.
- Excellent time management and a strong problem solver.
- Ability to work independently to manage a diverse range of task, while at the same time work collaboratively and communicatively as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and extraordinary organizational skills.
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda and English, both verbal and written. The knowledge of French will be an added value.
Desirable skills and qualifications
- Previous experience with working with a non-profit organization.
- Experience in project management.
Terms of Employment
This is a full-time position for a duration of 22 months, with the possibility of extension. The Communications Specialist is based at the Head Office in Kigali. Confirmation of the employment will be after six months of probation. The Communications Specialist is expected to start by the 11th of February 2019.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please send your motivation letter addressed to the Executive Director of CBS Rwanda, detailed CV and three references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org not later than the 31st of January 2019. The title of the email should include: “Communications Specialist”. The date of interview will be communicated to the preselected candidates. Copies of academic documents will be requested to the candidates who will be invited for the oral and written test.