Community Engagement Assistant
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job Title: Community Engagement Assistant (CEA)
Reports To: Director of Campus Operations & Community Engagement (DCO-CE)
Location: Butaro, Burera District, Rwanda
The Community Engagement Assistant is responsible for supporting/assisting all UGHE’s community engagement activities and projects in Burera District and beyond, as well as actively supporting in the launching most of community engagement programs.
- Assist in drafting all logistics and administrative activities
- Support in reinvigorating UGHE’s Community Advisory Board for better coordination of Community engagement activities to build and maintain excellent relationships with our neighbors in the cell, sector, district and beyond;
- Serve as the secretary of the Community Advisory Board;
- Planning and execution of all logistics needed for program or projects UGHE is working with the community or other partners
- Assist in writing job descriptions, hiring and training approved community engagement staff;
- Assist community engagement program implementation
- Be highly knowledgeable on entrepreneurship, business development and skills training to help support growth of local businesses and community members such as carpentry and welding shops, restaurants, services, agriculture/culinary/vocational training programs, etc.;
- Involve in identifying and recruiting community members to participate in different programs
- Plan weekly Burera District and Butaro Sector town meetings with the support of DCO-CE is aware of those meetings
- Organize and invite community members in any event or training planned by UGHE
- Act as the UGHE representative in receiving local community members and visitors on the campus on a weekly basis, assisting in giving tours as needed;
- Help to coordinate the work of student work study interns assigned to community engagement ensuring they have well thought out work plans in line with larger community engagement efforts;
- Collaborate with all departments across UGHE on such efforts;
- Conduct continuous research, attend trainings and stay informed on successful community engagement programs as a means to advise on institutional best practices;
- Support in additional community engagement initiatives as they arise such as fellowships, practicum support, etc.;
- Take initiative in leading and participating UGHE’s involvement in monthly umuganda activities in coordination with the students, staff and community members;
- File and maintain all Community engagement folders and documentation
- Requires at least 1-2 years of experience working with community engagement or similar programs;
- Experience in community engagement, entrepreneurship and business development, or other similar field required;
- Bachelor’s degree required
- English and Kinyarwanda proficiency required; French language desired;
- Excellent communication and writing skills; ability to articulate UGHE’s and PIH’s mission and program objectives persuasively;
- Ability to serve as an external representative to government officials, UGHE partners, and donors;
- Excellent project management skills; ability to manage complex projects from creation to completion, plan and prioritize multiple projects, and coordinate teams to meet deadlines;
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and organizations;
- Demonstrated poise, tact, integrity, and professionalism;
- Mandatory to live in Butaro full time including many weekends (ie umuganda, projects, etc.);
- Familiarity or experience working in Burera District strongly desired;
- Interest in social justice is strongly desirable.
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery.
The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery.
Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system. UGHE is committed to an exceptional educational experience rooted in dynamic and engaging courses prioritizing a high degree of faculty mentorship and experience-based learning.
GHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity.
The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team. Partners In Health, and its subsidiaries including the University of Global Health Equity, is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications by the link:https://www.pih.org/pages/employment?p=job%2FogLiffwi
The deadline: 4th June 2021