Position: Community Outreach Officer
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Reporting to: Program Manager
Search for Common Ground (Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes a peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC, and Brussels, Belgium, our mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. We seek to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 750 staff worldwide, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that loves their work. Search has been working in Rwanda since 2006, promoting greater cooperation and understanding within and across borders.
General position summary:
Search is seeking a Community Outreach Officer to be based in its Kigali office. The Community Outreach Officer reports to the Program Manager. S/he supports the implementation of the organization’s field activities, including leading trainings, coordinating with local authorities and organizations, and providing technical and logistical support to participants and partners. This position requires regular travel to project locations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Actively participate in the planning of project activities;
- Work in collaboration with project staff to plan, implement and report on activities;
- Conduct regular field visits to monitor how outreach activities are being conducted;
- In collaboration with partner organizations, organise events at the local and national level;
- Maintain good working relationships with the partner organizations, national and local government including the districts, participants, civil society organizations at the grassroots level, partner radio stations, and district local authorities where activities are being conducted;
- Identify opportunities for outreach and promotion that maximises the visibility of our work with the target groups as well as the broader audience;
- Contribute ideas and learning to regular reflection sessions on the relevance and quality of our work;
- Be engaged in the continuing development of the organization, its mission and strategic objectives in Rwanda, through the sharing of experience and knowledge, particularly contributing to its Institutional Learning initiative;
- Contribute to the good complementarity and collaboration between SFCG’s programmes;
- Produce field reports, monthly activity reports, including any requested indicator data needed, success stories and contribute to Quarterly Management Report as required;
- Contribute to donor project reports as requested and;
- Other duties as requested.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in a related social science field, law, development studies, and political science,
- Experience in working with government institutions, local authorities, civil society partners and donors.
- Leadership skills; the candidate should be a self-starter and should have initiative;
- Excellent command of Kinyarwanda; English and French (written & Oral)
- High standards of integrity, professionalism, and impartiality;
- Must enjoy working independently as well as in a team environment;
- Ability to travel to remote areas in Rwanda;
- Details oriented and highly organized and motivated;
- Strong communication and presentation skills including the ability to write reports;
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Web browsers.
- Minimum of 3-year working experience in peacebuilding or development programs;
- Experience working in governance related projects.
Please note that:
- This position is available from January 11th, 2019.
Please follow this link for applying:
https://sfcg.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=1467. No phone calls. Closing date for applications is January 25th, 2019 at 5:00 PM. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.