To provide a ladder of opportunity to underserved communities in Rwanda, as we proclaim and live the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
We share the hope of Christ as we provide financial services and biblically based training that restore dignity and break the cycle of poverty.
The love of Jesus Christ motivates us to identify with those living in poverty and be His hands and feet as we strive to glorify God.
Risk Management and Compliance
Director, Risk Management and Compliance (RMC)
The Compliance Manager is responsible for providing support to the Director of RMC on risk identification, analysis, measuring risk likelihood and consequences of failure to mitigate these risks, tracking them in Self-Assessment Tool (SAT), monitoring and report on the efficiency and effectiveness of the controls put in place.
Spiritual Integration and Christian Witness
- Promote and fulfill the mission and vision of Urwego Bank working within a Christ-centered environment that is mission-driven, community-oriented and results-driven.
- Conduct daily work, make decisions and help Urwego make decisions in a way that witnesses to the presence, power, and love of Jesus and the reality of his Kingdom on earth.
- In collaboration with the DRMC coordinate with heads of department in designing, planning and implementation of risk management processes for the bank;
- Provide support on developing and the implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework;
- Assist in identifying material risks (individual, aggregated and emerging risks) that may affect the bank, assess these risks and measure the Bank’s exposure to them;
- Participate in designing and carrying out tests that support the risk assessment of the Bank, as well as identify, analyze, describe and estimate risks affecting the business;
- Contribute in assessing all risk and the development of risk management strategies;
- Assist in developing appropriate Risk Management methodology/procedures and tools;
- Identify control gaps and, in collaboration with relevant department, design policies and procedures to bridge the control gaps; and ensure that bank operates with integrity and in compliance with applicable laws including but not limited to anti-money laundering and combatting financing terrorism law and regulations;
- Coordinate and ensure that Urwego SAT is updated regularly to reflect current changes and that risks are fully mitigated, ensuring that SAT Binders for each Risk Category are created and up to date;
- Plan and prioritize risks to enable the Internal Compliance team to test controls functionality;
- Ensure effective monitoring of all Audit findings and Central Bank Off and On-Site Inspection recommendations including reports to appropriate authorities and implementation of recommendations within set timelines;
- Create risk reduction strategies through monitoring control effectiveness of all processes, comparing residual risks with target risks;
- Disseminate written policies and procedures related to compliance activities; and file appropriate compliance reports with regulatory bodies.
- Evaluate testing procedures to meet the specifications of environmental monitoring programs.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports on Internal Compliance activities;
- Create annual compliance plans that are concise and informative with effectively communicated control findings to all relevant managers;
- Assist in preparation of the Risk Management and Compliance report for Urwego’s Executive Team and Board Risk and Compliance Committee;
- Timely communication of all incidents to the DRMC;
- Create and sustain mutually beneficial relationships with other teams;
- Willingness to take an extra mile for the benefit of others and participate in staff-related social activities;
- Act as the primary staff and client liaison at the field level in collaboration with management;
- Contributes positively to professional development and knowledge sharing in the department;
- All appropriate duties as may be assigned from time to time by Director of Risk Management and Compliance
- Personal confession of faith in Jesus Christ and commitment to the mission and vision of Urwego Bank PLC;
- Sound understanding of risk management and compliance concepts, measures, and regulatory frameworks;
- Detailed knowledge of the three lines of defense model, and regulatory expectations of risk governance in a bank;
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a control, supervisory or risk management and compliance role within a regulated financial institution.
- Prior experience in managing and applying operational risk frameworks would be an advantage;
- Strong PowerPoint and Excel skills;
- Strong analytical skills, and the ability to write clear and incisive briefing materials for management and other stakeholders;
- Excellent written and spoken English, and the ability to communicate and challenge effectively at all levels;
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to influence and effect change, in the second line of defense role;
- Eagerness and ability to learn about unfamiliar risk management and compliance areas, and to apply new concepts and tools in your work;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant subjects like economics, finance/accounting or risk management and compliance preferred;
Personal skills and abilities
- Ability to consolidate, prepare and submit reports and correspondence on time
- Ability to deliver business goals and own performance targets.
- Ability to work as part of team to achieve departmental objectives
- Must be a quick thinker and able to work occasionally for extended hours
- Should be able to work with minimum supervision while delivering expected output.
How to apply
Interested and eligible applicants should submit the following documents to Urwego Bank Plc Head Office at Remera, Umuyenzi Plaza not later than 18th January 2019 at 5 pm.
- Motivation letter explaining your suitability for the position,
- Curriculum vitae with 2 referee names,
- Degree Certificate, copy of ID and additional certificates if any.
- Recommendation from your Church.
- Statement of Faith.
Only Shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for the interview.
Urwego Bank PLC