Consultancy on agriculture and nutrition service delivery
- Kigali, Rwanda
- Contract type: Consultancy contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV's operations, visit our website: www.snvworld.org
ETHICAL AND BUSINESS CONDUCT REQUIREMENTS *****
SNV is committed to integrity in procurement, and only selects suppliers based on objective business criteria such as price and technical merit.
SNV does not tolerate fraud, collusion among offerors, falsified proposals/bids, bribery, or kickbacks. Any firm or individual violating these standards will be disqualified from this procurement, barred from future procurement opportunities, and may be reported to the Office of the Inspector General.
Employees and agents of SNV are strictly prohibited from asking for or accepting any money, fee, commission, credit, gift, gratuity, an object of value or compensation from current or potential vendors or suppliers in exchange for or as a reward for a business. Employees and agents engaging in this conduct are subject to termination and will be reported to the Office of the Inspector General. In addition, SNV will inform the Office of the Inspector General of any supplier offers of money, fee, commission, credit, gift, gratuity, an object of value, or compensation to obtain business.
Offerors responding to this RFP must include the following as part of the proposal submission:
- Disclose any close, familial, or financial relationships with SNV or project staff. For example, if an offeror’s cousin is employed by the project, the offeror must state this.
- Disclose any family or financial relationship with other offerors submitting proposals. For example, if the offeror’s father owns a company that is submitting another proposal, the offeror must state this.
- Certify that the prices in the offer have been arrived at independently, without any consultation, communication, or agreement with any other offeror or competitor for the purpose of restricting competition.
- Certify that all information in the proposal and all supporting documentation are authentic and accurate.
- Certify understanding and agreement to SNV’s prohibitions against fraud, bribery, and kickbacks.
Section 1: Instructions to Offerors
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
B. General Instructions
SNV Rwanda wishes to recruit a local consultant for a short time assignment to conduct a final evaluation on agricultural and Nutrition service provision. The study will analyze the national agriculture and nutrition service delivery and will be conducted in 3 districts which are highly prone to food insecurity and children stunting with the rate above 40 percent (Nyabihu, Nyamagabe, and Rutsiro Districts) and 3 districts which are less food insecure and have a level of stunting less than 40 percent (Kicukiro, Kamonyi, and Huye) according to DHS 2015.
The purpose of the consultancy is to conduct a final evaluation on;
- Current agricultural and nutrition service delivery at national and district level
- The level of satisfaction of farmers and households with the agricultural and nutrition services provided.
- The capacity of the districts and health facilities in terms of staffing and technical capacity/skills in the area of food security and nutrition
The Specific Objectives Of The Consultancy Include:
- To conduct the analysis of specific nutrition and agriculture service delivery at both national and district level (capacity of different entities)
- To assess the satisfaction of farmers with agriculture services
- To assess the needs of farmers in terms of agriculture service delivery
- To assess the needs of households in terms of nutrition services
- To assess the satisfaction of households with nutrition services
- To provide conclusions and recommendations for better Nutrition and agriculture service delivery
C: Scope of work.
SNV is implementing a multi-country and multi-sector program, Voice for Change Partnership’ (V4CP). The program is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS) and is implemented in six countries, Kenya, Rwanda, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Honduras, and Indonesia. This five-year program 2016-2020 aims to strengthen capacities of Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) to advocate for a conducive enabling environment in WASH, Renewable Energy, Food and Nutrition Security and Resilience.
In Rwanda, the project focuses on Sustainable Nutrition for All (SN4A) with an emphasis on food security and Nutrition-Sensitive Value Chains. The project is implemented in conjunction with IFPRI under the leadership of SNV.
Under the Food and Nutrition Security, the program will advocate on four issues
- Increased production and consumption of diverse nutritious food
- Increased accessibility and use of fortified crops or products
- Improved Coordination and service delivery of agriculture, food security and nutrition actors and activities at national and district level
- Effective allocation of the budget in relevant agriculture, food security and nutrition activities/interventions/programs
D. Tasks and deliverables.
The following services and outputs are expected:
- An Inception Report prior to the commencement of the study, explaining the detailed study design, time path, and the implementation plan. The Inception Report shall be approved by SNV/V4CP project manager before the assignment commences.
- Detailed and comprehensive study tools to be used in capturing the information required. The tools should be discussed and agreed at the project level before utilization and thereafter be annexed to the study report.
- Debrief session and PowerPoint presentation to the SNV V4CP Project team
- Comprehensive draft and final evaluation reports.
The methodology for the assessment will further be defined and reviewed by the consultant and will include both direct and indirect data collection, analysis and cross-referencing and formulating recommendations. Data collection will be done through desk research, surveys at farmer and households’ level and interviews with key informants and project stakeholders. It is envisaged that the methodology used during this assessment will include, but not limited to, the following:
- Review of existing secondary information and reports relevant to the evaluation study topic
- Discussion with key project staff of SNV and partner CSOs and other key informants
- Interviews with stakeholders involved at the district level
- Conduct a survey with farmers and households in the target areas for data collection and observations
F. RFP Estimated Timeline
The estimated timeline related to this RFP is as follows; additional details on each event can be found in subsequent subsections of the instructions to offerors:
March 25, 2020 Issuance of RFP No. SNV/RFP/004/2020
April 10, 2020 Deadline for proposals
April 17, 2020, Anticipated completion date of evaluation of proposals
April 27, 2020, Anticipated award date
These dates are estimates only and are subject to adjustments by SNV.
G. Offer Deadline
The Offers must fully meet all requirements of this RFP and are requested to submit their proposals no later than Friday, April 15, 2020, at 17h00 local Kigali time via the Smart recruiter’s link shared on other relevant jobs publishing websites.
H. Qualification Profile
The successful applicant should possess adequate expertise and experiences to conduct the assessment and meet the following requirements:
- At least a master’s degree in Social Sciences, Agricultural extension, Nutrition, Development Studies, or related field relevant for the assignment study.
- Demonstrating hands-on experience in conducting assessments and studies in the development sector with specific reference to rural development. Good knowledge and experience in survey design, implementation of surveys and statistical data analysis is required, as well as demonstrated experience in the collection and analysis of qualitative data.
- Strong technical background in the field of food and nutrition security
I.Protocol for Submission of Offers and Required Documents
Offerors are responsible for ensuring that their offers are received in accordance with the instructions stated herein. If an Offeror does not follow the instructions set forth herein, the Offeror's proposal may be eliminated from further consideration or the proposal may be down-graded and not receive full or partial credit under the applicable evaluation criteria. If an Offeror does not understand the instructions in this Solicitation, then it should submit a request for clarification sufficiently in accordance with the instructions herein in order to obtain an answer in time to meet the submission deadline.
Offerors must prepare one electronic copy of the technical and financial proposals. The technical proposal and financial proposal must be kept separate from each other. Technical and financial proposals shall be provided in software compatible with MS Word and MS Excel. Technical proposals must not make reference to pricing data in order that the technical evaluation may be made strictly on the basis of technical merit.
All offers must be prepared in English. Each offer should be composed of a Technical Proposal and Financial Proposal as described in Sections H and me below.
J. Technical Proposal
The technical proposal in response to this solicitation shall not exceed a total of 10 pages consecutively numbered in the English language. The proposal shall address how the offeror is qualified (personnel, corporate capabilities, and past performance, etc.) to carry out relevant tasks in the technical areas identified in Section 3, the scope of work. It shall demonstrate a clear understanding of the work to be undertaken and the responsibilities of all parties involved. It shall include a list of similar assignments executed in the past.
The technical proposal should, at a minimum, include with as much specificity as possible in 10 pages or less, following the information within the scope of work of Section 3:
1. Proposed approach to complete the tasks and deliverables of the scope of work described in section 3.
2. Proven experience in conducting similar assessments including evidence on beneficiaries of the previous assessment;
Best offer proposals are requested. It is anticipated that awards will be made solely on the basis of these original proposals. However, SNV reserves the right to conduct negotiations and/or request clarifications prior to awarding a contract.
Section 2: Award Selection and Notification
J. Selection criteria
Proposals shall be selected based on the following criteria:
CVs or company profile 20
Understanding of the scope and/or assignment 10
Proposed methodology 20
Experience in conducting similar assignments 20
Financial offer 30
K. Bid proposal submission
The interested candidates are requested to send complete curriculum vitae accompanied by technical and financial proposals.
The technical proposal should specify:
- Understanding the Terms of reference
Offer Deadline The Offers must fully meet all requirements of this RFP and are requested to submit their proposals no later than Friday, April 10, 2020, at 17h00 local Kigali time via the Smart recruiter’s link shared on other relevant job publishing websites.