CARE International is seeking to recruit a “Country Director”
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security. CARE International aims to be a global force and a partner of choice within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty.
Overview of the Role
CARE, Rwanda is seeking a Country Director (CD) to lead CARE's strategy and operations in the country and drive for impact that benefits women and girls, enhances the lives of poor and vulnerable communities and address injustice and discrimination. The Country Director will provide strategic leadership and guidance to the Country Office team and to external partners to ensure that CARE's role in the country continuously evolves for maximum impact and relevance to the environment and to the people we serve. S/he will oversee the development, funding and implementation of the Country Office (CO) program portfolio and will be responsible for adequate emergency preparedness while managing emergency programming and operations. The person in this role will establish and sustain productive relationships and political influence with government officials, donors and strategic partners. S/he will lead the CO's fundraising strategy and ensure the CO’s financial viability. As an organizational citizen, the Country Director will contribute to CI's global strategy, share knowledge and support the generation of evidence to inform on CARE's global programming. S/he will also be accountable for competent operational and risk management including the proper management, well-being and safety of CARE staff and the proper stewardship of CARE's resources. In summary, the CD will model and ensure systematic practice of CARE’s core values – (Transformation, Integrity, Diversity, Excellence and Equality), promote Gender Equality and Diversity among CO staff, identify new ways of working and drive the teams toward the organizational vision, while fostering innovation, holistic planning and programming and helping to build effective teams, coalitions and networks. S/he will encourage on-going staff development to motivate and strengthen the teams’ resilience in the face of change.
Requirements for the Role
Bachelor's Degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related field
- 6-8 years in a senior management position in the development field
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
- Demonstrated knowledge of program design, implementation, and evaluation
- Extensive conceptual skills including strategic analysis
- Demonstrated management skills in a complex international setting
- Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Strong human resource management skills including capacity building, coaching and conflict management;
- Experience supervising and developing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting;
- Demonstrated interest and ability to give feedback, develop, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results;
- Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments
- Manage a complex budget
- Demonstrated skills in risk management and ensuring value for money
- Effectively follow-up on internal and external audit recommendations
- Ensure donor compliance and reporting
- Ability to establish a learning culture within the CO and to facilitate knowledge sharing across CARE
- The ability to communicate in French (both verbal and written) is desired
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Female candidates with the above profile are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit their application on the link:
The deadline for application is May 23, 2019, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps.