Rwanda Country Director Kigali, Rwanda
Ampersand is an energy and mobility startup headquartered in Kigali, Rwanda. We‘re achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change.
East Africa’s 5 million moto-taxi drivers are some of the hardest working people on the planet. Many days these drivers work more than 13 hours yet end up with little money in their pockets. Our energy and vehicle service platforms offer savings that can double a driver’s income.
Our electric motorcycles offer superior performance vs petrol motorbikes and reduce carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one of Rwanda’s 100,000 petrol motorbikes to electricity is equivalent to the carbon captured by 128 trees.
In order to accomplish all this, we are building a world-class team of mission-driven innovators, engineers, and managers that are ready to serve this mission and address the hard problems.
What we’re looking for:
Ampersand is seeking a values-driven and practiced leader with a track record of efficiently utilizing resources and driving results. The role of the country director will oversee all of Ampersand’s administrative and operations teams across Rwanda - providing vision, supporting execution, and maintaining our culture.
The Country Director will hold the following responsibilities:
Strategic Vision and Follow Through
- Inform and advise high-level decision making
- Set the strategic objectives for the country, along with systems of accountability to ensure your team is driving to results
- Develop and execute country-level objectives and key results (OKRs)
- Communicate goals, strategy, and plans to department heads as well as the whole country team
- Coordinate with finance teams for countrywide budget management
- Set standards for team-wide professional development
- Ensure the review process is rigorous, comprehensive, and impactful
- Ownership of country performance metrics (KPIs), including revenue, assembly and service, and swap station performance
- Report upwards for support on a weekly basis
- Manage the operations for our network of battery swap stations. Including station facilities, charge teams, and ancillary services
- Support in the management of operations innovation trials to maximize battery longevity and station efficiency
Assembly, sales, and service
- Work alongside technical teams to support the assembly of our motorcycles and batteries, including assembly team management, parts and warehousing, as well as delivery to customer
- Facilitate an efficient and friendly sales process, progressing customers through credit scoring, contracting, training, as well as aftercare
- Work with key staff for ongoing customer engagement through phone and in-person support
- Manage relationships with key government and ministry contacts
- Stay current on policy shifts and opportunities that apply to our work
- Represent Ampersand at government and industry events within the country and region
Ampersand is a good fit if:
- you’re interested in clean energy and environmental impact (even if you don’t have experience in it yet)
- You are a proactive problem solver
- You are excited to lead large teams
- You enjoy having a focus on the customer and care deeply about the impact we make on their lives
- You are looking for an entrepreneurial company that values innovation and strong execution
- You are excited to grow a talented team of 40 to more than 80 within a year
- You are passionate about, and experienced in getting the best out of people
- You value diversity and community in the workplace
What we want you to bring:
We are looking for a proven leader with more than 7 years of large team management experience.
Candidates who possess the following are encouraged to apply.
- More than 5 years of relevant work experience. Startup experience is beneficial
- Strong business acumen and a private sector background is beneficial
- Proven people and team management skills, please indicate management experience in your cover letter
- Ability to lead their team in setting strategic objectives, and building systems of accountability to drive to results, please indicate experience with strategy development in your cover letter
- A solid understanding of budgeting and financial planning
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication
- This position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Experience of living abroad is desirable, and experience with cross-cultural management is preferred
- Near-native English-speaking abilities, with strong written and verbal communication
Timing and Compensation: Deadline for applications is January 26th, 2020, Compensation to commensurate with experience
Interested? Please send your CV and cover letter by using the” Apply for this job” button” below not later than January 25th, 2020.
Women are encouraged to apply.