Academic – Kigali, Kigali City
About Generation Rwanda/Kepler
Generation Rwanda began in 2004 and has supported young people in Rwanda in achieving their higher education goals through scholarships for universities throughout the country. In 2013, GR expanded its reach when it started Kepler.
Kepler is a nonprofit university program designed to deliver the skills that emerging economies need. Kepler combines the best of online learning and an American competency-based degree program with in-person seminars and intensive education-to-employment support.
About the Role
The Professional Competencies Course Facilitator position is one of the most essential positions in the organization, other than the student, to help Kepler fulfill its vision to innovate higher education through a dynamic blended-learning model. The Course Facilitator is the first point of contact to support students’ learning and growth. The role includes developing structured lessons, adapting curriculum to best meet student needs, analyzing and utilizing data to support diverse learners and collaborating with colleagues to holistically develop and support all students at Kepler.
This role is a full-time position located in Kigali district.
● Instruct non-native English speakers to rapidly improve English fluency through a competency-based, blended learning curriculum
● Conduct class sessions in a variety of content areas with university students
● Conduct study groups in a variety of content areas with university students
● Build courses (curriculum delivery and communication regarding curriculum) through a Learning Management System online.
● Grade competency-based work and provide student feedback in a timely manner (48 hour turnaround max)
● Collaborate with the Lead Course Facilitator to generate Professional Competencies lesson plans and other curriculum that supports diverse learners to acquire necessary and relevant skills
● Modify curriculum for applicability to the context and to best support students
● Engage in team meetings to collaborate and build quality products for student consumption and use
● Utilize student data to make informed decisions to guarantee all student’s progress through the curriculum
● Support student success in the Kepler-based curriculum
● Administer benchmark, unit and formative assessments
● Provide feedback on the program, curriculum and students to various stakeholders within the organization in a timely manner
● Research MOOCs and other content delivery options to incorporate “flipped classroom models”
● Research and utilize effective online, in-person and blended learning teaching techniques
● Collaborate with peers to share best-practices and innovations from the classroom
● Conduct optional and mandatory office hours through a variety of formats: workshop, 1:1 conferences, group supported work time, etc.
● Share and train other educators in implementation of online education in a blended learning environment
● Participate in the Kim Marshall Observation process as outlined by administration
● Work in collaboration with the academic team to achieve annual academic goals
● BA Degree or higher
● Highly motivated with a passion for education
● Demonstrates a strong desire to implement education through a process model of learning, implementing, reflecting, revising and re-implementing
● Has high expectations of him/herself and believes in high expectations for students
● Has the ability be creative and innovative in the way that education can be created and delivered to students
● Is open and willing to give and receive feedback from all stakeholders within the organization including students, colleagues and supervisors.
● Excellent writing and language skills in English. Preferred fluency in French, Kinyarwanda and/or Swahili.
● Displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal formats
● Exceeds at building and maintaining relationships, online and off.
● Possesses functional knowledge and/or personal experience with technology: Microsoft Suite, Google Drive, Google Chrome
● Thrives in a dynamic environment and believes that change leads to progress
● Comfortable with not having or providing answers to students through an inquiry-based model where the facilitator of the class is not the “keeper” of all knowledge
Reports to: Lead Course Facilitator for Professional Competencies.