Academic – Kigali, Kigali
Position: Data Analyst
Department: Institutional Learning and Accountability Department
Status: Full Time
Reports to: MEL Manager
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Kepler is a nonprofit university program designed to deliver the skills that emerging economies need. Kepler combines the best of online learning and an American competency-based degree program with in-person seminars and intensive education-to-employment support.
The Data Analyst will be responsible for leading and handling data management and analysis processes across Kepler campuses in Kiziba and Kigali. He/she will work with the IT department to oversee the day-to-day data management, analysis and coordination requirements of Kepler campuses, while continually learning and improving the processes. He/she will interpret data and turn it into information which offer ways for institutional learning, thus affecting decisions to improve effectiveness and efficiency. Once data has been gathered and interpreted, the data analyst will report back in a comprehensive study to the department and relevant staff members such as the MEL Manager.
The Data Analyst will leverage his/her visualization and data analysis skills to help generate meaningful visuals and graphics. In addition, he/she will work closely with the IT Network and Database Specialist to ensure appropriate build-out of SIS fields and functions.
- Be responsible for overall monitoring component of Kepler campuses (Kiziba/Kigali) including, data management, coordination and interpretation.
- Ensure data collection, management and analysis are coordinated and standardized across both campuses.
- Develop and maintain structure or format of the database/s as required, incorporating suggestions and amendments from departments.
- Work with the IT staff to prioritize data management needs.
- In collaboration with the MEL Manager, define and implement data collection protocols, select optimal combination of methods and tools within defined technology to ensure reliability.
- Assess internal systems for efficiency, problems, and inaccuracies, developing and maintaining protocols for handling, processing, and cleaning data.
- Conduct review of existing databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies to ensure statistical efficiency and develop report detailing strengths, weaknesses, and recommendations.
- Work with MEL Manager to review indicators and reporting requirements and ensure compliance and timeliness of data submission/entry into database.
- Collaborate with the MEL Manager to train Kepler staff including faculty on the use of the database and Dashboard.
- Develop and report on best practices for performance and operational efficiency, effectively communicating with MEL Manager regarding system performance and problems.
Data Analysis and Visualization
- Analyze data, disaggregate it by gender and report the results back to relevant staff members including the MEL Manager.
- Collaborate with team to create and maintain rich interactive visualizations including Infogrames, graphs, and charts through data interpretation and analysis integrating various reporting components from multiple data sources.
- Monitor and analyze internal as well as external data on a quarterly basis and draft regular management briefs to inform decision making.
- Work directly with management to gather requirements, provide status updates, and build relationships.
- Collaborate with the MEL Manager to review the set of pre-determined indicators and corresponding data sources.
- Clean, organize and interpret data from complex data sets to identify trends and opportunities for growth through analysis.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelors’ degree in a relevant field, such as computer science, statistics, economics, information management, or applied mathematics.
- At least 3 years of experience as a Data Analyst; background in education sector preferred.
- Strong IT and analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Professional experience managing large complex databases.
- Significant professional experience collecting, managing, and analyzing data as well producing data-driven strategies, reports and communication documents.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze issues, identify causes, and recommend solutions backed by evidence.
- Strong knowledge of M&E methodologies both quantitative and qualitative.
- Significant experience using statistical packages (Microsoft Excel, STATA, SPSS) for analyzing datasets.
- Must have advanced proficiency in English and ability to articulate complex ideas effectively in both verbal and written English.