Dean of Students
Academic – Kigali, Kigali City
Dean of Students
About Generation Rwanda/Kepler
The challenge: All across sub-Saharan Africa, millions of young people struggle every day with access to education and employment – and the kinds of livelihoods that lead to economic security and mobility for themselves and their families. Every young person deserves the chance to be educated; every young person deserves the opportunity to have a meaningful job.
Who we are: Kepler is a nonprofit university program that is building a transformative model of education-to-employment services for these young people across the region. Our ultimate goal is to contribute to the economic mobility of thousands of individuals, families, and communities in all of our countries of operation. We want to reimagine what higher education can look like in sub-Saharan Africa.
What we do: Through a rigorous curriculum of in-person, online and on-the-job learning, Kepler students graduate with the relevant skills and the right attitude to meet the needs of the changing global economy. We partner closely with Southern New Hampshire University - a global leader in higher education - which allows our students to attain affordable, internationally recognized degrees while studying in East Africa.
Our history: Kepler launched in Rwanda in 2013. Our 50+ staff currently serve 550 students across two campuses in Rwanda – our flagship campus in Kigali, as well as a second campus in the Kiziba refugee camp in Western Rwanda, where we serve refugee learners.
The future: Kepler has an ambitious new strategy for the next five years, which will include launching in two new countries; expanding our academic offerings; partnering with other public and private sector universities; and reaching a new level of organizational sustainability.
About the position
The Dean of Students is responsible for encouraging academic success and monitoring students who are struggling in classes through effective support systems. This role will plan and direct some activities related to student services and campus life. The Dean of Students will also work directly with other members of the academic team to guarantee a quality learning journey from on-boarding to graduation for every Kepler student. They advocate for the student perspective and students' interests in all aspects of Kepler's Operations.
This role is responsible for maintaining and updating the student handbook and ensures that the policies in the student handbook are effectively implemented and suggests changes to the current depending on the needs of the community.
Additional, the Dean of Students serves as a liaison between Kepler and the local community and ensures that Kepler is participating in relevant activities and students are responsible citizens.
- Schedule meetings with students to discuss their academic standing/progress issues
- Enforce Kepler policies when necessary
- Work hand in hand with instructors to handle together with the students’ problems.
- Elevate students’ concerns/issues
- Collaborate with the Data Team to effectively track student academic performance, and identify necessary interventions
- Liaise with student families when necessary regarding academic concerns from Kepler or family concerns to Kepler.
- Hire and Manage the Kepler Safety Associates for ensuring students’ Safe Walk when they are going home during the night if applicable
- Make sure all students with health problems are under treatment by the Kepler Nurse and Counselor
- Prepare and issue some students’ academic documents
- Create and maintain a system of tracking students’ absences and tardiness, decide on their cases and report them, if excessive.
- Any other assigned tasks by the supervisor
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience working with students in a higher education setting
- Management experience
- Passion about ensuring student success in higher education and employment
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to experiment, try things out, fail fast, and learn constantly
- Ability to make data-driven, fact-based decisions and implement change as necessary for short and long-term success.
- Knowledge of processes, policies, and procedures of major functions in an educational institution
- Highly-developed communication skills (interpersonal, written, and verbal), and ability to inspire others
- Master’s degree
Reports to: Academic Campus Director
Apply before November 25, 2018