Deputy Chief of Party (D/COP)
Chemonics seeks a Deputy Chief of Party for the USAID-funded Feed the Future Orora Wihaze Activity in Rwanda. This five-year project aims to sustainably increase the availability, access, and consumption of animal source food (ASF) through the development of a profitable market. This project will 1) support the development of strong and inclusive private sector ASF value chains by improving smallholder livestock productivity and supporting livestock product and ASF market development; and 2) increase demand for ASF by developing and strengthening behavior change communication materials and messaging to promote ASF consumption and ensure the delivery of messages to diverse audiences at all stages of ASF production. Crosscutting objectives of this activity include women's empowerment, youth employment, and policy engagement. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The following Deputy Chief of Party characteristics, skills, experience and education are demonstrative of the skills necessary to fulfilling this role:
- Master’s degree in animal production, international development, agriculture, economics, food science or related field (with experience in livestock related agribusiness) of study is desirable.
- Five (5) years or more of progressively responsible work experience in managing and implementing multi-faceted international agriculture and agribusiness development programs similar in scope and complexity to that of Orora Wihaze, preferably in East Africa or in a country context similar to Rwanda, is highly desirable.
- Five (5) years or more of experience in engagement with host governments on private sector development in agriculture related value chains, enabling environment issues, institutional and policy reforms, and private sector development is desirable.
- Experience leading collaborative, participatory livestock production and market development efforts in communities with similar levels of education, risk tolerance, habits related to ASF consumption, etc. as seen in Rwanda is desirable.
- Substantial management and project management experience, including direct supervision of professional and support staff and working in a multi-cultural environment, is desirable.
- Experience working with a wide range of key agriculture sector stakeholders, including government entities and the donor community, as well as civil society organizations (e.g., farmer organizations and cooperatives, NGOs, CBOs, etc.) and the private sector is desirable.
- Oral and written fluency in Kinyarwanda, as well as in depth knowledge of the local operating environment in Rwanda, is desirable.
Please submit an electronic version of your CV, cover letter, and contact information by February 24, 2019 through the link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.