JOB DESCRIPTION: DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Reports to: CEO & Co-Founder, Gayatri Datar
Location: Kigali, Rwanda (with frequent in-country and international travel)
Compensation: RWF 1-1.2M per month (net), depending on experience; expected raise to RWF 1.5M within 6 months of training
Contract type: Open-ended
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas can come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda and Uganda. 70% of Rwandans and Ugandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 75% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished.
About the Role
EarthEnable’s Development Manager will have a unique opportunity to work with the CEO and Co-Founder to shape the future of rural housing and health. He or she will advise and support the CEO in developing fundraising strategy, develop and execute fundraising campaigns, liaise with several internal and external stakeholders including EarthEnable’s board, potential and current donors as well as other partners. She or he will also work closely with the Managing Directors and field teams to have a close understanding of the business operations and impact, advising on strategy and planning. The successful candidate will be an ambitious, hard-working and passionate individual who possesses a strong sense of social mission, thrives in a fast-paced startup environment, excels at working autonomously, and demonstrates an unparalleled ability to multi-task while being detail-oriented. Specific responsibilities of the role will include:
- Frequently visiting the field operations, participating in developing business strategy, and closely understanding the business to be able to accurately and effectively communicate our impact
- Manage new fundraising
- Continuously exploring and evaluating the funding landscape
- Opportunistically applying for funding opportunities including writing proposals and budgets
- Assessing the landscape of “mezzanine” funders for social enterprise and make targeted pitch decks for them
- Developing relationships with potential partner institutions and leveraging them into institutional sales
- Reach out to potential donors to set up phone calls or meetings and have initial conversation on funding
- Exploring “sustainable subsidies” opportunistically including RBF, carbon credits, and buy-one-give-one
- Managing existing grants
- Working closely with finance to ensure current restricted and unrestricted grant funds are managed properly
- Managing a cadence of personalized donor communication
- Managing grant reporting including financial reports
- Ensure seamless potential and existing donor visits
- Ensuring that the Board of Directors, funders, and other key stakeholders get frequent updates about wins and worries, along with dashboard of key metrics
- Managing corporate marketing (social media, newsletters, website, annual report, etc.)
- Supporting and training Executive Assistant in administrative tasks such as CEO scheduling, email management, event planning, flight bookings, etc.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Developing a standardized impact dashboard with regularly collected impact information
- Disseminating impact data to donors, supporters, partners, and governments
- Designing ways to track and learn more about EarthEnable’s impact and how to enhance it
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience
- Experience working in development, soliciting donations from funders and grant management. Experience with financial reporting and budgeting would be an added advantage.
- Comfort and confidence to approach new donors and solicit support
- Learns on the go doing important, higher-level work from the start
- Desire to live and work in East Africa for several years; experience living and working in a developing country strongly preferred
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Detail-oriented and able to multitask
- Positive attitude, self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor and willingness to learn new things
- Commitment to excellence and outstanding work ethic
- Resourcefulness and creative problem solving
- Strong alignment with EarthEnable’s values:
- Take pride in our impact on health. Work passionately to change the way people live.
- Set the bar for customer care. Exceed their expectations every step of the way.
- Work hard and work together to achieve our most ambitious goals and dreams.
- Be resourceful and responsible with money; our impact depends on it.
- Treat everyone with fairness, empathy, and concern with which we expect to be treated. Celebrate diversity while building a culture of inclusivity.
- Trust each other to have the humility to support and the vulnerability to be supported.
Apply online at www.earthenable.org/applynow not later than March 15th, 2020