JOB TITLE: Director of Business
The Director of Business oversees Urwego’s business portfolio and deposit growth in the entire branch, agent and e-banking network with the goal of delivering well-designed services that meet real needs in a remarkably caring and efficient missional fashion.
Chief Executive Officer
All delivery channel heads, managers and personnel.
FULL JOB SUMMARY.
- The Director of Business provides leadership and overall direction of business growth in the bank, oversee the growth of quality loan portfolio as well as deposits. He/ she also leads the integrated service delivery teams across our national network of branches, credit offices, agents and e-banking portals
- The business team ensures that we deliver a distinctively high-quality customer experience in a cost-effective way. In order to do this, the director of Business will need to demonstrate the capacity to motivate a large team of frontline staff, manage innovation and drive consistent, risk mitigated implementation of existing policies and procedures.
Promote and fulfill the mission of Urwego Bank and responsible for the Growth of the Company’s loan and deposit portfolio through recruitment of new loan clients while maintaining the quality of the portfolio.
- Work with the executive team to establish a strategy for effectively implementing key services across the Urwego network and achieving the Christ-centered, quality and growth targets established.
- Help ensure services focus on the high priority target markets that Urwego serves, remaining true to its mission.
- Report on the achievement of strategic objectives to the executive team and other key stakeholders at predefined intervals and as requested.
Staffing and Culture
- Work with HR to lead the hiring, training and retention of skilled staff who possess industry-leading capacity in their area of expertise and who exude passion for the work of Urwego and the people we serve.
- Effectively establish a culture of extraordinary service, starting with personal example through serving direct reports and radiating outwards to branches and clients.
- Work with HR to oversee the consistent implementation of a fair and transparent performance management process that motivates high performers and removes low performing staff in a healthy fashion.
- Set precedent through personal example for healthy discipleship of Christian character among the staff of the service delivery team.
- provide continuous leadership, supervision, development training for all staff under Relationship dept, ensuring skills gaps are identified and bridged, succession plans are followed and implemented and overall performance management is done.
Implementation and Integration of Technology
- Ensure technology is effectively utilized by service delivery staff to deliver excellent, efficient services to Urwego clients and to enable management to make informed decisions.
- Work with teams from IT to specify and design appropriate technological interventions that make the work of the service delivery team more effective.
- Ensure strong implementation and change management of technological innovations.
- Lead the service delivery team in building the capacity of field staff to support and knowledgeably use key field data applications and reporting systems.
Policy and Procedure Management
Maintain up to date policy and procedure manuals for the critical processes associated with service delivery.
- Work with the risk department to ensure the effective and timely mitigation of the many risks associated with financial service delivery through our network.
- Develop the overall product, business growth and sales objectives and plans, and monitor performance against the strategic business growth plan.
- Responsible for the growth of the bank’s loan portfolio, ensuring growth and quality targets are met at all branches.
- Carry out Business development initiatives to seek out and target new customers and new sales opportunities.
- Establish and ensure the delivery of high-quality customer service to all clients.
- Supervise and guide all heads of business units (Branches) to ensure growth targets for loans and deposits are meet.
- Ensure assessment of key risks in the business department and the development of prudent mitigants to address them.
- Work with the sales team to incentivize and ensure that only quality loans are put forward for approval.
- Collaborate with the Credit department and product managers to ensure product design is practical for the service delivery team to implement and appropriately risk mitigated.
- Collaborate with the credit department to ensure that efficient and critical data is captured to assist the credit department with portfolio analysis and review.
- Act as a member of the Management Credit Committee and ensure loan approval is done in a timely manner in order to improve the turnaround time for loans.
- Ensure disbursement of quality credit in line with the banks credit policies making sure all branch credit approval and assessment processes are working effectively.
- Ensure adequate knowledge of regulatory guidance for the bank and its various service delivery channels and ensure our procedures, structure, and design are in accordance with the relevant directives.
- Serve as the lead representative of Business to the design team which is responsible with the creation and refinement of all key products.
- Maintain a cost-optimized delivery network reaching the key target markets and geographies that Urwego has established as priorities.
- Oversee the cultivation of a broad agent network that matches Urwego’s client base and the bank’s growing emphasis on digital delivery channels to increase the competitive positioning of the bank.
- Ensure agent satisfaction and a healthy value proposition that positions Urwego agents to be extensions of our client-focused service delivery ethic.
- Lead the movement towards the appropriate reduction of cash handling outside of branches with an aim towards minimizing our staff interaction with cash.
- Contribute to the design and oversee the implementation of the bank’s upgraded mobile banking platforms.
Stakeholder and Partner Relationships
- Serve as a key representative of the bank to stakeholders and partners.
- Establish relationships and contracts with vendors and service providers to assist as appropriate with the execution of specific projects and services needed.
- Personal confession of Christian faith and commitment to the mission of Urwego Bank.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics or equivalent qualification in related field;
- 8 or more years of experience in microfinance, international banking or financial services sector;
- 5 years of management/leadership experience;
- Experience leading front office and back office operations of a retail bank;
- Strong organizational skills, including effective time management and prioritization of competing demands/multiple deadlines;
- Experience managing and contributing to large scale IT projects and demonstrated competence in project management disciplines;
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic thinking skills;
- Excellent written, verbal and computer based communication and presentation skills;
- Excellent cross cultural listening, communication, and leadership skills;
- Demonstrated capacity to motivate, develop and lead others in a diverse and geographically distributed context;
- Advanced Microsoft Office suite skills;
- Strong English language skills;
- Experience in credit management preferred;
How to apply
Interested and eligible applicants should submit the following documents to Urwego Bank Plc Head Office at Remera, Umuyenzi Plaza not later than 2nd April 2019 at 5 pm.
- Motivation letter explaining your suitability for the position,
- Curriculum vitae with 3 referee names,
- Degree Certificate or Academic transcripts, copy of ID and additional certificates if any.
- Recommendation from your Church.
- Statement of Faith.
- Only Shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for the interview.
Urwego Bank PLC