Director of Fundraising
Management – New York, New York
About Generation Rwanda/Kepler
The problem: All across sub-Saharan Africa, millions of young people struggle every day with access to education and employment – and the kinds of livelihoods that lead to economic security and mobility for themselves and their families. Every young person deserves the chance to be educated; every young person deserves the opportunity to have a meaningful job.
Who we are: Kepler is a nonprofit university program that is building a transformative model of education-to-employment services for these young people across the region. Our ultimate goal is to contribute to the economic mobility of thousands of individuals, families and communities in all of our countries of operation. We want to reimagine what higher education can look like in sub-Saharan Africa.
What we do: Through a rigorous curriculum of in-person, online and on-the-job learning, Kepler students graduate with the relevant skills and the right attitude to meet the needs of the changing global economy. We partner closely with Southern New Hampshire University - a global leader in higher education - which allows our students to attain affordable, internationally recognized degrees while studying in East Africa.
Our history: Kepler launched in Rwanda in 2013. Our 50+ staff currently serve 550 students across two campuses in Rwanda – our flagship campus in Kigali, as well as a second campus in the Kiziba refugee camp in Western Rwanda, where we serve refugee learners.
The future: Kepler has an ambitious new strategy for the next five years, which will include launching in two new countries; expanding our academic offerings; partnering with other public and private sector universities; and reaching a new level of organizational sustainability.
About the position
About the Position: Kepler is seeking a driven and entrepreneurial professional to be a critical part of the Kepler story over the next five years.
Strategy: Working with the management team develop a five-year fundraising strategy to match Kepler’s new organizational strategy
Prospecting: Continuously identify and shortlist prospective charitable trusts, foundations, institutional funders, and high net worth individuals (as applicable)
Cultivation: Build a strong network of relationships with a wide variety of these stakeholders
Grant development: Develop applications to secure ongoing operational funds for Kepler as the organization grows into new countries and new academic offerings
Reporting: Track and manage all donor requirements and reports; provide reports and presentations as required to the management team and Board
Retail giving: Develop a strategy to build and cultivate a network of supporters to increase the number of individual Kepler donors, including a strong social media presence and engaging newsletters
The ideal candidate will be full of energy and ready to dedicate the next several years to transforming higher education in Africa. This is an ideal job for an experienced fundraiser with a proven track record of institutional and individual fundraising within a social sector organization
- 10+ years of professional experience
- The combined desire and work ethic that are required to deliver real and meaningful change to Kepler’s students
- The ability to work with staff of different backgrounds and cultures with the utmost respect
- Several years of financial or management consulting experience, including top-of-class skills in XLS and PPT as well as written documents
- The ability to work as a core part of a dynamic team – while exhibiting strong interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and/or follow, depending on the situation
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to thrive in a start-up environment without the need for daily direction, and the ability to manage upwards relative to a busy and often-traveling management team, and
- Candidates who are able to uphold the core Kepler values of teamwork; integrity and honesty; constant learning; balance; and empowerment
- Candidates who can thrive in an unstructured and often-changing environment
- Experience supporting the execution of an multi-year strategic plan
- Experience in working in Africa and/or in a cross cultural environment
- Experience working in education
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment
- French and/or Kinyarwanda language abilities are useful
The position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Kepler is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.