Management – Kigali, Kigali
Position: Director of Institutional Learning and Accountability
Department: Institutional Learning and Accountability Department
Status: Full Time
Reports to: CEO
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Kepler is a nonprofit university program designed to deliver the skills that emerging economies need. Kepler combines the best of online learning and an American competency-based degree program with in-person seminars and intensive education-to-employment support.
The Director of Institutional Learning and Accountability will be responsible for leading the Learning and Accountability department at Kepler. He/she will drive forward Kepler’s measurement strategies, capturing quality and relevant data to help make evidence-based decisions. H/she will also oversee reporting on Kepler’s direct and indirect impact to ensure its accuracy and persuasiveness.
He/she will work closely with the Executive Director on fundraising campaigns, the Director of Partnerships on grant-writing, and the VP of Academic Affairs on assessments and learning. In addition, he/she will collaborate with external research partners for both Kiziba and Kigali campuses, working closely with the Director of Refugee Education Programs. He/she will be responsible for sharing data in a timely manner and facilitating conversations with Kepler leadership across departments on key lessons and results related to the efficiency, effectiveness, impact, and sustainability of the direct and indirect delivery programs, therefore driving data-driven strategy and program improvement discussions.
- Be responsible for the leadership, direction, and supervision of institutional learning and accountability efforts.
- Provide leadership and direction in setting organizational goals and objectives for the research/evaluation team.
- Manage, monitor, and evaluate department operations, budgets and expenditures, and staff.
- Initiate professional development programs, including data management, development of materials and presentations, etc.
- Serve as a liaison between IT staff and learning and accountability staff.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Oversee and provide any leadership (if needed) to the program evaluation processes with a special focus on institutional learning, partnerships, innovation, and sustainability.
- Provide support and technical assistance in the regular monitoring, refinement and implementation of results framework
- Direct and oversee the design and development of systems used for managing and analyzing data across Kepler campuses
- Develop, maintain, and strengthen research/evaluation protocols that support institutional learning.
- Provide technical leadership and supervision to capture true impact of Kepler programming by ensuring high-quality, timely, valid and verifiable data collection, reporting and analysis across Kepler campuses (Kiziba/Kigali)
- Provides leadership and assistance to MEL Manager to ensure adherence and evaluation quality control, especially with regards to learning aspects.
- Model and ensure effective implementation of nondiscriminatory practices in all activities related to monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
- Assess the effectiveness and efficiency of data collection on an ongoing basis to ensure its reliability and usefulness.
- Collaborate with external research partners for both Kiziba and Kigali campuses to align research/evaluation efforts and support.
- Share data in a timely manner and facilitate conversations with Kepler leadership across departments on key lessons and results related to the efficiency, effectiveness, impact, and sustainability of the direct and indirect delivery programs.
- Oversee the Policy and Advocacy Manager’s work to maintain and promote effective communication and collaboration internally and externally.
- Track and analyze current trends in higher education, youth employment, and job-market, and reports its potential impact on programs to Kepler leadership.
- Initiate and maintain effective liaisons and communication with potential Kepler employers, other educational institutes, and professional societies to maintain up to date knowledge of higher education, youth workforce employment, and educational evaluation.
- Provide support to ensure careful interpretation and use of assessment and accountability results.
- Direct and coordinate the collection, maintenance and reporting of achievements, accomplishments, and impact to donors, government offices, potential employers, and other stakeholders.
- Give presentations to CEO, Board of directors, donors, management, and leadership, when needed.
- Prepare and provide presentations for professional organizations, governmental entities, and the public.
- Provide leadership for implementing evaluation recommendations for maximizing institutional learning, program performance, and sustainability
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Must possess a Master’s degree in education or related field (education policy, project management, international development, public administration) with emphasis on research, assessment and evaluation.
- At least 10 years’ experience managing and coordinating monitoring and evaluation of educational projects/programmes.
- Background in the higher education sector preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of program evaluation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of research methodologies.
- Knowledge of educational testing instruments, methods, and procedures.
- Proven experience in data analysis, interpretation and knowledge management implementation approaches.
- Significant professional experience collecting, managing, and analyzing data as well as producing high-quality evidence-based strategies, reports and communication documents.
- Ability to develop, articulate and present ideas effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Employers, Education Ministry, other educational institutions and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and conduct skill-building training for staff.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analysis tools, such as SPSS, Stata, or NVivo.
- Strong analytic and interpretation skills.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to deliver technical assistance and guidance.
- Strong communication skills, including interpersonal skills, written communication skills, and networking skills.
- Must have advanced level proficiency in English.