JOB DESCRIPTION: District Manager
Company: EarthEnable Rwanda
Reports to: Rwanda Managing Director
Location: Positions available in Bugesera, Rwamagana, Kayonza, Kamonyi, and Ngoma Districts
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Timeframe: Open-ended (2-year minimum)
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 70% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 70% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished.
About the Role
EarthEnable expanded to three new districts in the past 8 months and is looking to continue to scale and grow throughout 2018 and on into the future. We are looking for an experienced and organized District Manager who will lead day-to-day operations in and strategize for scaling within a district. The job will involve overseeing office and field operations (in construction and sales), managing the district budget, and providing regular input to the district team as well as senior management to hone and improve EarthEnable’s service delivery within the district. Each district’s day-to-day work is carried out by an Operations Associate, a Sales Coordinator, and a Finance & Administration Assistant. The primary role of the District Manager is to coordinate the work of each of these individuals and their departments, and to build their capacity for even higher achievement.
This District Manager will receive supervision and guidance from the Rwanda Managing Director and the CEO, as well as departmental managers. This is a field-oriented leadership position, with a consistent blend of office and fieldwork. The successful candidate will be willing to get his or her hands dirty and work closely with masons and sales reps, while having an eye for the bigger picture and growth projections of the company. We are looking for someone who is adept at detailed planning, a quick learner, and an entrepreneurial self-starter.
The responsibilities of this role will include, but certainly not be limited to:
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Work with Rwanda Managing Director to develop scale strategy and set operational, sales, and financial targets for the district
- Manage execution of strategy in marketing, sales, operations, and ensure strategies are aligned and coordinated across departments to avoid inconsistencies or overlap in work streams within the district
- Take ownership of all district-specific projects and deliverables
- Get out to customer sites to ensure adequate communication of messages and efficient operational procedures at least once a week
- Actively seek the support of department managers for systems development, team capacity building, and problem solving
- Ultimate profit and loss responsibility for the district: drive revenue to cover operational costs, working closely with the finance department to analyze budgets and actuals across various units
- Ensure fiscal responsibility in all the district’s budgets and spending, prioritizing cost cutting and cost saving
- Together with the district staff and senior management, set targets for all departments
- Ensure that the district is reaching those targets
- Report regularly to the senior management team, including participation in management meetings at the head office
- Build capacity of the district staff to lead their functions independently through active management, teaching, and support
- 5+ years of experience with at least 3-5 years of experience in a management role (general management preferred) – entry-level candidates should not apply
- Experience in at least two different functions (sales and marketing, finance, operations, customer care, etc.)
- A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business administration, project management, logistics, and operations, or engineering
- Passionate about EarthEnable’s impact and committed to making a difference in the lives of rural Rwandans
- Clear communication skills
- Excellent managerial skills with a strong drive to develop the capacity of others and to motivate them
- Strong teaching skills and patience as a manager, coach, and teacher, analytical and critical thinker with a strong ability to problem-solve and to coach others to do so
- Able to make clear reports and presentations both to lower-level staff and senior managers
- Strong knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel) Flexible and adaptable; equally comfortable in a rural village building a floor, at an office training staff, and in the Mayor’s office.
- Ability to work on and keep track of a variety of tasks at the same time; excellent time management skills
- Experience with a social enterprise preferred
- Ability to work highly independently
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Honest and responsible
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda and English
Apply online at www.earthenable.org/applynow. In your cover letter, please state what excites you most about this role, and what you think will be most challenging about it.