The organization Community-Based Sociotherapy Rwanda (CBS Rwanda) was established to contribute to the psychosocial well-being of people affected by the Genocide against the Tutsi and to strengthen interpersonal reconciliation and social cohesion at the grass-roots level. The community-based sociotherapy approach uses the group as a therapeutic medium in the establishment of trust, the creation of an open environment for discussion and the formation of peer-support structures. The sociotherapy groups facilitate community members to identify, acknowledge, share, and manage together their everyday psychosocial problems related to the recent history of political violence and its aftermath.
The terms of reference of the stated positions are detailed below:
2 Full-Time District Managers
Starting date: 11th February 2019
Locations: Western Province/ Karongi
Kigali city/ Gasabo
CBS Rwanda is currently looking for two qualified, dynamic and highly motivated candidates of high moral character and professional integrity to join the team as District Managers. The District Manager will be part of the Field Teams of CBS in respective areas (one District Manager in Western Province and one District Manager in Gasabo District). S/he will be responsible for the monitoring of project activities in the respective district(s) where s/he is affected.
The District Manager is a full-time position, receiving an annually renewable contract that will start on the 11th February 2019. S/he will be based in the district where s/he is affected and may go to different areas in the country when there is a need.
- Propose a local strategy for the project implementation, according to the specific context and oversee its implementation once validated;
- Be responsible for the recruitment of community members to become sociotherapists;
- Coordinate the recruitment of the participants;
- Organize the first sociotherapy group sessions in conjunction with the other field staff;
- Monitor sociotherapy group sessions on a weekly basis;
- Monitor the personal and professional stability of the local sociotherapists and ensure that an adequate working environment is maintained and the psychological support systems for sociotherapists are in place;
- Keep track of all the sociotherapy groups that take place in the district;
- Follow the financial and administrative guidelines which were developed by the Finance
- Manager and Field Accountant to accurately manage the financial recourses that form the reimbursement of the sociotherapists;
- Be the direct contact person and representative of CBS Rwanda at a district level, both for local authorities and other institutions;
- Keep the Field Coordinator informed at all times on the progress and challenges of the operational strategies;
- Work closely with the researchers to monitor and evaluate the impact of the program;
- Ensure that key operational information circulates properly within the Field Team and the overall organization;
- Be an active participant in district meetings and other relevant local gatherings;
- Ensure that the sociotherapy sessions are taking place in line with sociotherapy method and the manual of operations;
- Ensure that regular sociotherapy reports are qualitatively and quantitatively provided as required by CBS Rwanda policies;
- Review the reports of sociotherapists and give observations aiming at the improvement of the quality of implementation;
- Develop a list used to pay facilitation fees of sociotherapists, based on weekly reports developed by them;
- Initiate and support sociotherapy groups’ initiatives to maintain the participants’ social and economic cohesion and welfare;
- Advise sociotherapists in psychosocial problem management through sociotherapy sessions;
- Doing any other task requested by line managers for the success of the project.
- Profile candidate
Essential skills and qualifications
- Bachelor degree in a relevant field (e.g. Social Sciences, Psychology, Social Work, Mental Health, Clinical Psychology, Nursing, Public Health, Anthropology, or Conflict/Peace Studies etc.);
- At least 3-years experience in the field of project implementation, preferably in the field of psychosocial interventions;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in reconciliation and psychosocial support interventions;
- Demonstrated experience in community mobilization and attitude for field work at grass-roots level
- Previous experience in a representative position and with networking with local (governmental) authorities;
- Commitment to the goals and principles of the community-based sociotherapy program and an ability to ensure the mandate underpins our support to participants in the program;
- Strong skills in organization and coordination are essential, including the management of finances;
- Mastering Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- An honest, reliable and very accurate person, who is able to work under pressure;
- Very strong motivational and social skills and excellent communication skills both verbal and in writing;
- Ability to listen, to be diplomatic, flexible and a strong problem solver;
- Fluent Kinyarwanda and English, both verbal and written;
- In possession of a driver’s license for motorcycles (Class A).
Desirable skills and qualifications
- Experience in supervising complex and challenging interventions in fragile communities;
- Experience with coordinating a team at the grass-roots level;
- Large network in the district and aware of local issues;
- French language skills.
Terms of employment:
This is a full-time position for a period of 33 months. The District Managers are based in their respective field-offices in the province, but the position involves regular field-visits. Confirmation of the employment will be after three months of probation period that can be extended once up to six months according to the labor law in Rwanda. After the probation period the District Manager will receive a one year contract with the possibility for extension.
The District Manager is expected to start on the 11th February 2019.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please send your motivation letter addressed to the Executive Director of CBS Rwanda, detailed CV and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com not later than the 31st of January 2019. The title of the email should be “Application District Manager + preferred working area (Western Province or Gasabo)”. The date of interview will be communicated to the pre-selected candidates. Copies of academic documents will be requested to the candidates who will be invited for the oral and written test.