Expression of Interest (EoI)
Consultancy services for updating the operational procedure manual for the national strategic grain reserve of Minagri
EOI number 83390577
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy, and ICT (Information and Communications Technology). The GIZ project "Digital Solutions for Sustainable Development" (DSSD) has a mandate to advise Rwandan institutions on the implementation of the Smart Rwanda Master Plan (2016-2020) and its priority projects. The project also aims to promote the development of digital solutions in collaboration with sector ministries, local and international private companies, research institutions and civil society.
The Digital Solutions for Sustainable Development project entered a new phase in 2021. In addition to digital solutions that are being developed together with the Rwandan partner authorities, more vulnerable groups such as the rural population, women and people with disabilities are to be involved in the digital transformation in line with the approach Leave no one behind. One of the project objectives is designed to develop initiatives to promote digital participation in collaboration between public and private stakeholders. The assumption here is that digital skills, combined with target-group-specific digital services, will enable a large proportion of the population to be part of the digital transformation and use these services. To reach the target groups effectively, use leveraging effects and develop user-centric services, stronger cooperation between public and private actors is being promoted. This will contribute to develop and offer services in a systematic and coordinated manner.
The Government of Rwanda (GoR) established the NSGR to ensure food stocks availability in emergency events. The reserve addresses potential shocks to the food supply, improves food security while avoiding any market distortion. Under MINAGRI's leadership, the NSGR is a tool for emergency response established to meet potential GoR's humanitarian and market regulations' obligations.
Since its establishment in 2010, the Ministry put together the Operation and Procedures Manual guiding all procedures related to the NSGR, ensuring clear and transparent management. Given recent achievements, MINAGRI wants to update the OPM and align them with the Ministry's current strategic objectives.
The assignment's objective is to support MINAGRI in updating the Operational Procedures Manual of the National Strategic Grain Strategy.
The consultant will work closely with MINAGRI teams, to accomplish the following work packages.
Work package 1: Business process mapping
- Review the existing Operational Procedure Manual and identify gaps and missing procedures to be added,
- Organize exploratory field visits to conduct a detailed assessment of the implementation of the existing Operational Procedure Manual.
- Amend and draft the new Operational Procedure Manual, aligning it with the best practices based on similar manuals guiding the strategic reserve at the regional, continental, and global levels.
- Present the draft Operational Procedure Manual to the technical teams of MINAGRI for discussions, comments, and/or amendments
- Incorporate all feedback from MINAGRI technical teams to the final Operational Procedure Manual and present it to MINAGRI and its relevant stakeholders for validation.
Work package 2: Reporting
- The following reports will be submitted by the contractor:
- Inception report: This report shall be given two (2) weeks after the commencement of the assignment detailing but not limited to the approach and methodology, proposed work plan for undertaking the assignment, and implementation timeline scheduling of the assignment.
- Weekly progress reports: This report shall constitute a summary of the accomplished work and shall reveal in detail achieved milestone and the work plan for the coming week. The report shall also identify the problems encountered during the implementation of previous week’s activities and the suggested measures and needed help from MINAGRI team to facilitate the next week’s work. This report should be submitted on a weekly basis.
- Draft and final Operational Procedure manual: a draft of the operational procedure manual will be handed to the technical teams of MINAGRI for any comments and/or amendments after which the final operational procedure manual will be submitted to MINAGRI for validation.
3. Expected Deliverables
The following deliverables shall be delivered to the Client:
- Deliverable 1: Inception report detailing that the Consultant's understanding of the assignment and the methodology to be employed to complete the assignment; roadmap with specific, clear, and detailed milestones with their respective implementation, deployment timelines to ensure timely system delivery.
- Deliverable 2: Produce the detailed as-is analysis and produce a summary of the current state of the existing Operational procedure manual against the best procedures identified at the regional, continental, and global levels.
- Deliverable 3: Produce and present the critical components of the Operational procedure manual.
- Deliverable 4: Draft & final Operational Procedure Manual which will include comments from the technical teams at MINAGRI and validated.
The team of consultants will work closely with the NSGR Manager in Kigali and Digitalization Directorate with exploratory field visits to the strategic grain reserves in Nyagatare, Kicukiro, Nyanza, Nyamagabe, and Nyabihu. In the cases of field visits, the consultant(s) will arrange their transport and all logistics involved.
Certain milestones, as laid out in the table below, are to be achieved by certain dates during the contract term:
Deadline / Person responsible
Start of the project and adoption of a schedule for the execution of the mission with the dates of the deliverables in form of an inception report
T0+ 2 week / Team leader
Produce the detailed as-is analysis and produce a summary of the current state of the existing Operational procedure manual against the best procedures identified at the regional, continental, and global levels.
T0 + 4 weeks / Team leader
Produce and present the critical components of the Operational procedure manual.
T0 + 6 weeks / Expert 1 / Expert 2
Draft Operational Procedure Manual
T0 + 8 weeks/ Expert 1 / Expert 2
Submit Final Operational Procedure with feedback from MINAGRI and its key stakeholders incorporated.
T0 + 10 weeks / Team leader
Estimated expert days (up to)
Consultant / Expert
Up to 60 expert days
Period of the assignment is planed from 04 October to 31 January 2022
For the offer, the contractor is required to show how the objectives defined in Chapter 2 & 3 are to be achieved, if applicable under consideration of further specific method-related requirements (technical-methodological concept). In addition, the contractor must describe the management system for service provision. This should also include a contingency concept if the timeline of the development of the system changes due to the Coronavirus Pandemic.
The contractor is required to consider the tasks to be performed with reference to the objectives of the services put out to perform (see Chapter 3). Following this, the contractor presents and justifies the strategy with which it intends to provide the services for which it is responsible (see Chapter 4).
The contractor is required to present the actors relevant for the services for which it is responsible and describe the cooperation with them. Experts in the field of business systems development.
The contractor is required to present and explain its approach to steering the measures with the project partners.
The contractor is required to describe the key processes for the services for which it is responsible and create a schedule (project plan) that describes how the services according to Chapter 3&4 are to be provided. In particular, the contractor is required to describe the necessary work steps and, if applicable, take account of the milestones and contributions of other actors in accordance with Chapter 2 & 3.
The contractor is required to provide personnel who are suited to filling the positions described, based on their CVs (see Chapter 7), the range of tasks involved and the required qualifications.
The below specified qualifications represent the requirements to reach the maximum number of points.
Experience & Technical expertise of the Contractor
Applicants shall demonstrate a satisfactory level of competence the following areas:
- Grain reserve management principles, methodologies, and techniques.
- Knowledge of the Government of Rwanda Policies and Procedures
- An understanding of inter-sectoral collaborations
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations in the agriculture sector in Rwanda.
- Knowledge of regional and international best practice in grain reserve.
- Management Practices
- Experience providing consultancy services in the Grain reserve/Agriculture sector or prior undertaking of similar projects.
- Experience in supply chain management.
Qualifications of the Consultant(s)
- BSc in supply chain management, Food Technology or Food Science or Public Health or other related disciplines (Adequate work experience in the field will be an added consideration.)
- University education (recognized) in management studies, public health related to specific to the sector.
- Documentary evidence of the education claimed will be required
7. Submission of your EoI
EoI will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Company or individual profile,
- Relevant experience,
- Company strategies to assure agility, flexibility and responsiveness,
- Personnel and,
- Financial offer.
The EoI should contain the following:
For Technical Proposal:
- A Cover letter expressing interest in this assignment;
- Technical Proposal with a brief description of why you would be considered as the most suitable for the assignment, relevant expertise, and a detailed clear methodology, on how will be your approach and complete the assignment.
The structure of the offer must correspond to the structure of the EoI. In particular, the detailed structure of the EoI (Chapter 4 work). It should be formatted, font type ARIAL, fond size 11, and should be clearly formulated. The offer should be drawn up in English language.
- The CV of the personnel proposed in accordance with Chapter 4 & 6 of the EoI of the EoI must clearly show the position and job of the proposed person held in the reference project and for how long. CVs shall not exceed 4 pages
- References and recommendations of similar works executed in Rwanda or elsewhere outside of Rwanda.
- Company registration certificate (RDB)
- VAT registration certificate if available
- Latest tax clearance certificate
For the Financial Proposal:
The Financial Proposal indicates the all-inclusive total contract price, supported by a breakdown of all costs. The cost must be in RWF and VAT excluded.
Please submit electronically your EoI (technical & Financial offer) in 2 separated PDF files to this email: RW_Quotation@giz.de until latest Wednesday 22 September 2021
Please you must write in your email subject this sentence:
EOI number 83390577 - submission of technical& financial offer,
without this sentence, your offer may not be considered
Hard copies are not allowed this time
GIZ reserves all rights
8. List of abbreviations
AVB General Terms and Conditions of Contract (AVB) for supplying services and work 2021
BMZ German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
DSSD Digital Solutions for Sustainable Development
MINAGRI Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources
RISA Rwanda Information Society Authority
GIZ Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
SDG Sustainable Development Goals
NSGR National Strategic Grain Reserve
OPM Operational Procedure Manual