EXPRESSION of INTEREST (EoI)
Coordination Service of Ride Rwanda during Tour du Rwanda 2020
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
A. General Context
Tour du Rwanda has become the main sports event in Rwanda and is constantly growing. The upgrade by the UCI to 2.1 from 2.2 grade since 2019 has put Tour du Rwanda on a par with cycling events in Europe such as Le Tour de L’ Air and Tour de Yorkshire. Tour du Rwanda has prominently high visibility and transports a positive image of the whole country. Sport events in general and cycle events, in particular, are successfully designed to promote tourism in a region or in a country as a whole. Tourism products around prominent cycling events attract many tourists and boost tourism in regions off the beaten track.
The Rwanda Cycling Federation (FERWACY) and GIZ / Eco Emploi have tested an exciting cycle tourism product offered in parallel with Tour du Rwanda and that product has become Ride Rwanda. Ride Rwanda prominently passes through the Kivu Belt Region. This region around the beautiful Lake Kivu has a lot to offer for tourists. However, the great potential of the positive image of the Tour du Rwanda as an enabler and destination marketing ambassador for tourism in the Kivu Belt Region is fairly untapped.
B. Context of this Assignment
After having tested the first tourism product around Tour du Rwanda 2019, a promotional campaign for Ride Rwanda has started targeting to attract more tourists interested in Ride Rwanda. In addition, stakeholder consultations have made it possible for different tour agencies to partner with FERWACY in accelerating the promotional efforts of the product and partnering to sell Ride Rwanda. The intention behind Ride Rwanda is twofold:
1. FERWACY aims to organically expand Tour du Rwanda beyond a pure athletic sports event and strengthen the overall sustainability of the event and the benefits for the country.
2. Eco-Emploi aims to promote the economy and employment in the tourism sector. Ride Rwanda is set to attract new tourists to Rwanda, especially to the Kivu Belt region. By linking them with already existing tourism products, the local tourism sector is strengthened
Experience Ride Rwanda
Amateur and hobby cyclists will have the opportunity to ride the same stages as the pro riders just hours before the official race. Benefitting from the infrastructure and anticipation of the official race - riding on clean and safe roads, since the stages are already closed for public traffic and being cheered on by Rwandans, already lining the streets in big numbers. Participants will be provided with beverages, energy food, medical care, and broom car service.
In February 2020, Ride Rwanda will be on four stages, which mainly lead through the Kivu Belt region. Each stage is between 85 and 142 Kilometers long. The riders/participants can decide to cycle the full stage or only parts of the stage. The requirement is to cross the finish line within 5 hours. The option to partially ride the stage includes transports by shuttle. However, all participants will have the possibility to cross the finishing line be it by riding the full stage or by skipping parts of it. There are two products offered:
1. All four stages in one package (week-package)
2. Each stage as a single product (day-package)
Amateur and hobby cyclists alike can participate in Ride Rwanda 2020. Amateurs take cycling serious and practice regularly. They are likely capable of finishing the whole stage. Hobby cyclists on the other hand just participate at Ride Rwanda for the fun of it and to get physically active.
As the Tour du Rwanda is internationally known and Rwanda is becoming more and more an internationally recognized tourist destination, not only local cyclists are targeted. The goal is to also reach regional and international riders. An analysis of the target groups and the countries they come from is part and parcel of the communication strategy.
C. Objective of the Assignment
The objective of this assignment is to provide a positive tourism cycling experience around Tour du Rwanda by strengthening the implementation capacity of FERWACY for the Ride Rwanda 2020 tourism product through coordination of respective preparatory activities before, logistical activities during and lessons learned after the event.
D. Process and Main Activities
In order to achieve the objective, the assignment will be implemented by following the following steps:
Step 1: Follow-up the implementation of the marketing campaign
FERWACY in partnership with GIZ / Eco Emploi have already put in place a marketing campaign for Ride Rwanda. In order to accelerate the promotion, the consultant is expected to support FERWACY in implementing a well-coordinated promotional campaign. In this regard, FERWACY will hand over all the developed promotional content and tools to the consultant for implementation. The follow-up on the promotional campaign shall be implemented according to the following activities:
- Assist FERWACY in its social media campaign: Revise target audience according to bookings, increasing the number of followers, three posts per week on each social media channel, search engine optimization, linking the Ride Rwanda website with the social media channels
- Ride Rwanda website management: Keep the Ride Rwanda website content up-to-date, increase the website visitors through link clicks, regular follow-up on clients’ correspondents to liaise with FERWACY, etc.
- Prepare a press conference for Ride Rwanda before the start of the event: Select a number of journalists from FERWACY database, invite them for the conference, assist in the design of the conference
Step 2: Preparations for the logistics of Ride Rwanda
The consultant is expected to coordinate the logistical preparations (by working together with FERWACY on the plan according to expected numbers and budget, supporting in the negotiations and draft contracts with suppliers) of Ride Rwanda by focusing on:
- Availability of the necessary equipment according to the number of reservations: bikes, bike kits, spare parts, first aid kits
- Security on the road: Plan together with FERWACY on security requirements and engage discussions with relevant authorities
- Invitations and logistics for the launch event and Ride Rwanda events in place
- Transportation and pick up cars according to the number of reservations
- Prepare list of daily consumables for the participants of Ride Rwanda according to the requirements of cyclists
- Offer assistance in accommodation for the participants who need
- Booking/ reservations handling and online payment handling (support to the designated person in FERWACY)
Step 3: Coordinating the implementation of Ride Rwanda
Ride Rwanda will consist of different activities ranging from following up on the clients to an organization of side events and regular communication with the organizing team of Tour du Rwanda. Therefore, a consultant is expected to:
- Follow up and provide a list of all confirmations from the riders with the necessary details for their participation
- Organize the launch dinner in Huye: Follow up on logistical preparations, venue design and branding
- Detailed implementation plan of the Ride Rwanda (including time, tasks and people responsible) and execution
- Organization of the beach festival (event management): Advise FERWACY and partners on the theme and content (concept to be adopted), stakeholders’ coordination (FERWACY and local administration) extended promotion of the festival (in the Kivu Belt, Kigali and Goma), branding of the festival, ensure quality design of the venue and promotional materials
- Documentation of Ride Rwanda 2020: Photo and video documentation (photos of each part of Ride Rwanda + side events and short documentary of at least 5 minutes), design and ensure the distribution of a press release covering Ride Rwanda 2020, social media updates during Ride Rwanda (at least three posts per day during the period of Ride Rwanda)
Step 4: Lessons learned and aftercare of Ride Rwanda
Evaluation and hand-over are key to establish Ride Rwanda for the years to come. In order to strengthen the capacities of FERWACY at organizational and human resource level the following task will be performed:
- Support the organization of a full-day evaluation workshop and provide input on the concerned aspects. Afterward, provide a lesson learned paper-based but not limited to the workshop findings.
- Conduct a one-day training for at least two FERWACY staff on how to maintain the Ride Rwanda website and hand-over the social media accounts
D. Main Deliverables
The accomplishment of the activities listed above will be measured against the following main deliverables of the assignment:
a) Through professional marketing, the Ride Rwanda website received a high number of clicks from at least 10 countries before the start of Ride Rwanda
b) Relevant journalists have been supported to report positively about the press conference in at least 3 mediums
c) A plan for the logistical preparation and implementation of Ride Rwanda has been approved by FERWACY latest by 10.02.2020
d) The preparatory activities have been completed according to the timelines of the plan
e) An overview of all information required for participants’ care has been provided and shared with all relevant stakeholders before the start of Ride Rwanda
f) Due to stakeholder coordination, marketing and branding the beach festival has been profitable and positive feedback concerning the launch dinner has been documented (feedback form) from the majority of involved tour agencies
g) The majority of the involved tour agencies documented positive feedback on the video as well as the social media activities before and during the Ride Rwanda
h) The implementation activities have been completed according to the timelines of the plan
i) A lesson learned report has been submitted on the basis of an evaluation workshop
j) Two FERWACY staff have been trained in maintaining the website
E. Required Profile and Expected Qualifications of the Consultant
The consultant should have the following expertise:
- Proven experience of not less than five years in coordinating tourism-related events
- Expertise in promotion of events: branding, booking and reservations handling, design of promotional content and materials, online marketing, venue management
- Expertise in cycle tourism
- Being familiar with the stakeholders in the tourism and cycling sector (local stakeholder management is an added value)
- Professional use of English, French, and Kinyarwanda
F. Timeframe of the Assignment
The assignment will start on 03rd February 2020 and end on 20th March 2020. All final products should be handed in by 30th March 2020.
Please submit your offer documents in two separate envelops (1 for technical offer and 1 for a financial offer) until latest Monday 27 January 2020 at 4:00 pm, at the front desk of
GIZ Office Kigali/Rwanda
KN 41 Street / Nr.17 – Kiyovu
B.P 59 Kigali – Rwanda
The EoI should contain the following:
For Technical Proposal: A Technical Proposal with a brief description of why your Consulting Firm or you as a consultant would be considered as the most suitable for the assignment, relevant expertise, and a detailed, clear methodology, on how will be your approach to complete the assignment.
The Technical Proposal should also contain The CVs of the experts proposed and each CV must not exceed 4 pages.
Information about legal status (copy of RDB and recent VAT clearance certificate)
For the financial Proposal: indicates the all-inclusive total contract price, supported by a breakdown of all costs. The cost must be in RWF and VAT excluded.
GIZ reserves all rights