Expression of Interest (EoI) Feasibility study for the private management of Rubavu Public Beach and developing Avenue de la Cooperation as a car free beach promenade
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy, and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
Tourism in Rwanda has been in an expansive phase with strong growth for several years. Part of the growth strategy of tourism in Rwanda is the diversification of tourism. Tourism in Rwanda has long been associated with one single product: Volcanoes National Park and the mountain gorillas. The mountain gorillas are the main driver of tourism to Rwanda, and an enormous asset in attracting visitors. If Rwanda’s tourism is to continue to grow beyond the capacity of Volcanoes National Park, diversification of the tourist offering in the country is needed. This means that new key tourism attractions need to be developed.
Rwanda’s Sustainable Tourism Development Plan presents eight Destination Management Areas as a way of diversifying Rwanda’s tourism offering through the creation of new core and supporting products. A lot of focus is currently on Rwanda’s largest lake, Lake Kivu, and the surrounding Kivu Belt Region for tourism development. The Kivu Belt has recently been made more accessible through improvements to infrastructure and is experiencing rapid touristic development. There is a general belief in the potential for the Kivu Belt to be one of the key destinations to drive tourism growth in Rwanda.
The tourism development of The Kivu Belt is managed by several tourism development plans. The Kivu Belt Sub Master Plan together with the Sustainable Tourism Master Plan are key plans for the tourism development of the Kivu Belt. There are also several local plans focusing on specific key tourism development sites such as the Kivu Beach Management Plan.
One of the most visited destinations in The Kivu Belt is Rubavu on the northern end of Lake Kivu. Only an hour away from Volcanoes National Park, Rubavu has the potential to develop into an attractive international destination for visitors to Volcanoes National Park and to develop further as more attractive weekend getaway for domestic visitors and visitors from DRC. One of the main touristic assets of Rubavu is Rubavu Public Beach and the palm-lined Avenue de la Cooperation aligning it. If developed correctly, this area has the potential to drive the touristic development of Rubavu. Unfortunately, the area is suffering from lack of funding and poor management. The entire area is currently in a state of demise and in need of funding and development if Rubavu District is to realize its true potential as an attractive tourism destination.
2. Scope of the mission
Rubavu Public Beach is currently under management of Rubavu District. To improve the state and facilities of Rubavu Public Beach, Rubavu District is looking for a private partner to manage the beach.
The quality of Rubavu Public Beach is not only of importance to the management partner and the users of the beach but is also crucial for the surrounding hotels, shops, and many other businesses. Proper management of Rubavu Beach is key to unlocking the potential of Rubavu District as an attractive tourism destination.
The palm-lined Avenue de la Cooperation next to Rubavu Public Beach is today a popular recreational area for locals and visitors to Rubavu. This road has the potential to develop into an attractive pedestrian zone with cafes, shops, and other related tourism services. This would improve the attractiveness of the area and Rubavu as tourism destination.
The objective of this assignment is to increase the attractiveness of Rubavu as a tourist destination by creating a feasibility study of the private management of Rubavu Public Beach and pedestrianizing Avenue de la Cooperation as a car free beach promenade. The assignment also includes drafting the terms of reference for the tender to privatize the management of Rubavu Public Beach and finally to draft the management agreement between Rubavu District and the private manager of Rubavu Public Beach. These documents are to be based on the outcome of the feasibility study.
The feasibility study of pedestrianizing Avenue de la Cooperation will serve as a guideline for Rubavu District.
4. Scope of Work
4.1 Inclusions of the feasibility study Rubavu Public Beach
4.1.1 Management of the Beach
- Provide a general overview of different beach management models based on international examples with relevance for Rubavu.
- Develop and propose success criteria and objective for the management of the beach that reflects the interests of various stakeholders involved as well as relevant existing policies
- Analyze and advise on different implementation and management models suitable for Rubavu Public Beach.
- Opportunities for collaboration and engagement.
- Responsibilities of stakeholders.
- Based on the model(s) recommended, best practices/benchmarking from other similar beaches/products as guidance for the following chapters.
4.1.2 Financial Projections
- Market analysis
- Provide detailed costs of necessary investments suggested in the Rubavu Beach Management Plan and the Gisenyi DMA in the Sustainable Tourism Development Master Plan For Rwanda.
- Propose costs of the products suggested in the Rubavu Beach Management Plan and the Gisenyi DMA in the Sustainable Tourism Development Master Plan For Rwanda.
- Revenue projections of businesses suggested in the Rubavu Beach Management Plan and the Gisenyi DMA in the Sustainable Tourism Development Master Plan For Rwanda including the likelihood of suggested businesses being economically sustainable.
- Propose other forms of revenue generating activities from the beach and surrounding area not mentioned in the Rubavu Beach Management Plan.
- Develop a conceptual design for the proposed development and develop an investment memorandum.
4.1.3 Physical and Environmental survey
- Conduct a physical and environmental survey
- Include site boundaries and topographies of the area (available at the district).
- Conduct slope analyses and high-level environmental scoping (including topographical and hydrological) to rule out red flags and ensure that any development plans are compliant with Rwandan environmental law and international best practice, including broad recommendations for minimizing and mitigating impact, specifically with regards to the lake and any proposed over-water construction.
- Conduct analysis of tourism impacts of the proposed development and remedial measures for possible adverse impacts on conservation.
- Map the key characteristics, site boundaries, and topographies, including a slope analysis indicating areas available for development. The map will be to scale, and GPS referenced.
- The physical survey should also assess road access and service options (water, power, sewerage).
- The physical and environmental survey should be coordinated with REMA to make sure that it is compliant with Rwandan Laws and restrictions.
4.2 Inclusions of the feasibility study for development of Avenue de la Cooperation
- Investigate the potential to pedestrianize Avenue de la Cooperation as a car free beach promenade in accordance with the Gisenyi DMA in the Sustainable Tourism Development Master Plan For Rwanda.
- Propose different development and management models of a pedestrianized Avenue de la Cooperation as a beach promenade in accordance with the Gisenyi DMA in the Sustainable Tourism Development Master Plan For Rwanda to be used as a guide for the district in development and management of Avenue de la Cooperation as a pedestrianized car free beach promenade.
- Propose forms of commercialization, respectively income opportunities, of space along Avenue de la Cooperation.
- Propose alternative access to existing facilities in case part of Avenue de la Cooperation is closed for traffic.
- Assess the tourism impact of making parts of Avenue de la cooperation a car free zone.
- Revenue projections for commercialization of space along Avenue de la Cooperation.
- Develop a conceptual design for the proposed development and develop an investment memorandum (Brief project profiles).
- Ensure and advise on complementarity of both feasibility studies.
4.3 Stakeholder Engagement and Impact
- Throughout the assignment the contractor will conduct workshops which engages all relevant stakeholders from GoR, Private sector, civil society and others.
- Engage various stakeholders from GoR, Private sector, civil society, and others on the impact of proposed development and management of the area including Rubavu Public Beach and parts of Avenue de la Cooperation.
- Stakeholder workshops and engagements should be conducted in close collaboration with the client.
- The outcome of the stakeholder workshops and engagements should be considered in the feasibility study.
- The outcome of the stakeholder workshops and engagements should be considered in the development of the terms of reference for the tender for the private management of Rubavu Public Beach.
4.4 Development of terms of reference for the procurement of Rubavu Public Beach
- Draft terms of reference based on the outcome of the feasibility study for the tender of one or several private operators to manage Rubavu Public Beach.
4.5 Draft a management agreement for the private management of Rubavu Public Beach
- Draft a management agreement between Rubavu District and the private manager of Rubavu Public Beach based on the feasibility study.
The assignment includes the following deliverables:
- An inception report, latest 2 weeks after the first kick off meeting outlining the framework, plan and roadmap for the assignment to be approved by the Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
Feasibility study Rubavu Public Beach
- Draft of Feasibility study for the private development and management of Rubavu Public Beach presented to the Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
- Feasibility study for the private development and management of Rubavu Public Beach approved by the Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
Feasibility Study Avenue de la Cooperation
- Draft of Feasibility study for pedestrianizing and commercializing parts of Avenue de la Cooperation as a car free zone presented to Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
- Feasibility study for pedestrianizing and commercializing parts of Avenue de la Cooperation as a car free zone approved by the Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
Collection of stakeholder input
- At least three stakeholder workshops as well as individual consultations with key stakeholders. Consultations and workshops will be coordinated in close collaboration with Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
- Written summary of workshops and individual consultations with stakeholders presented and approved by Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
Terms of reference for tender of private management of Rubavu Public Beach
- Draft of terms of reference for the tender for the private management of Rubavu Public Beach based on the feasibility study presented by the Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
- Terms of reference for the tender for the private management of Rubavu Public Beach based on the feasibility study approved by the Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
Management agreement between Rubavu District and manager
- Draft of the management agreement between Rubavu District and the private manager of Rubavu Public Beach based on the feasibility study presented to the Rubavu Beach Technical Committee.
- Final management agreement between Rubavu District and the private manager of Rubavu Public Beach based on the feasibility study approved to the Rubavu Beach Technical Committee
6. Reporting and Cooperation
For purpose of this assignment, Rubavu Beach Technical Committee has been assembled consisting of various private and public stakeholders. Regular updates are expected to the committee in both written form as well as attendance during meetings.
Reporting to Rubavu Beach Technical Committee and under direct supervision of the GIZ Eco Emploi.
7. Location and Timeframe of the Assignment
This assignment is predicted to be conducted from March to June 2021 . The number of expert days:
Team leader: up to 60 expert days
Tourism Expert: up to 40 expert days
Urban Planner: up to 20 expert days
Total estimated expert days: up to 120 expert days
As the assignment regards Rubavu Public Beach area, physical presence in Rubavu is required for periods throughout the assignment. Close collaboration with stakeholders in Rubavu District is required throughout the assignment. The contractor is required to calculate the travel by the specified experts and the experts it has proposed based on the places of performance stipulated and list the expenses separately by travel and accommodation expenses.
8. Key Characteristics of the Consultants
- Able to work under little supervision but at the same time being a real team player
- Persistent and focused on the tasks, but at the same time creative and open-minded
- Excellent communication skills; experienced in communication on different levels and with different stakeholders in public and private sector
- Very good working knowledge of the tourism sector
- General IT knowledge
- Excellent knowledge of English, orally and written; fluency in Kinyarwanda is mandatory
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to individuals diplomatically and tactfully
- Must be courteous, honest and of high integrity, especially in high-pressure situations.
- Master’s degree in economics, business development, tourism or similar
- At least 10 years of working experience in an international context on similar assignments will be beneficial
- Strong ability to coordinate a team and implement an assignment under a complex steering structure
- Experience of developing tourism products involving both public and private sector
- Experience and understanding of factors affecting the successful development of tourism destinations
- Experience and understanding of the needs of business development in the tourism sector preferably with international experience
- Experience of engaging with different stakeholder, understanding different stakeholder perspectives
- Experience leading workshops involving many different stakeholders
- Proven ability to perform and deliver under time pressure
- Skills in planning and reporting
- Skills in financial management, business development and marketing within the tourism sectors will be a strong asset.
- Ability to read and understand different public plans governing the development of tourism
- Master’s degree in economics, business development, tourism or similar
- At least 5 years’ experience from the tourism sector
- Demonstrated ability to accurately making revenue projections for businesses in the tourism sector
- Demonstrated ability to develop new businesses in the tourism sector
- Skills in financial management and business planning in the tourism sector
- Ability to make accurate calculations of construction costs for buildings used in various tourism businesses and tourism related infrastructure
- Understanding of how urban planning and development impacts tourism
- Understanding of tourism in Rwanda
- Ability to read and understand different public plans governing the development of tourism
- Master’s degree in urban planning, regional planning or similar
- At least 5 years’ experience from urban or regional planning
- Understanding of factors affecting community development and decline
- Understanding of the social, economic impact of planning decisions on communities
- Knowledge of current Rwandan laws, policies and plans regarding planning, land use, zoning, building permits, and environmental regulations
- Knowledge of urban spatial structure and physical design and the way in which cities work
- Knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS) and other relevant software for planning
- Ability to visualize urban development plans
- Ability to estimate the cost of planned urban development
- Understanding of how urban plans and design affects tourism is an asset
9. Submission of the EoI:
EoI will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Company or individual profile,
- Relevant experience,
- Company strategies to assure agility, flexibility and responsiveness,
- Personnel and,
- Financial offer.
The EoI should contain the following:
For Technical Proposal:
- A Cover letter expressing interest in this assignment;
- Technical Proposal with a brief description of why you would be considered as the most suitable for the assignment, relevant expertise, and a detailed clear methodology, on how will be your approach and complete the assignment. It should be formatted, font type ARIAL, fond size 11, and should be clearly formulated. The offer should be drawn up in English language.
The Technical Proposal should also contain links to websites built in previous
- The CVs shall not exceed 4 pages.
- Company or business registration certificate
- References and recommendations of similar works executed by the company in Rwanda or elsewhere outside of Rwanda.
- VAT registration certificate if available
- Latest tax clearance certificate
For the Financial Proposal:
The Financial Proposal indicates the all-inclusive total contract price, supported by a breakdown of all costs. The cost must be in RWF and VAT excluded.
Please submit your EoI documents in two separate envelopes (1 for technical offer and 1 for financial offer) until latest Monday 01 March 2021 at 4:00 pm, at the front desk of:
GIZ Office Kigali/Rwanda
KN 41 Street / Nr.17 – Kiyovu
B.P 59 Kigali – Rwanda
GIZ reserves all rights