Expression of Interest (EoI) Junior Communication Consultant for the Ride Rwanda Digital and Social Media Campaign
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy, and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
The bilateral Economy and Employment Promotion Programme (Eco-Emploi) as part of the priority area “Sustainable Economic Development” of the Rwandan-German Development Cooperation is supporting these efforts. Eco-Emploi, implemented by GIZ, incorporates an integrated approach of technical and vocational education and training, labour market interventions, and private sector development and will be implemented between January 2020 and December 2022. The programme aims at employment-intensive growth in selected economic sectors, namely the wood industry, tourism & hospitality industry, and the film industry, with a special focus on digitalisation. The economic empowerment of women, youth, and persons with disabilities are a crosscutting effort in all activities of the programme. Eco-Emploi works towards achieving SDG 1 "No poverty", SDG 4 "High-quality education", SDG 5 "Gender equality" and SDG 8 "Decent work and economic growth”.
Tour du Rwanda has become the main sports event in Rwanda and is constantly growing. The upgrade by the UCI to 2.1 from 2.2 grade since 2019 has put Tour du Rwanda on a par with cycling events in Europe such as Le Tour de L’ Air and Tour de Yorkshire. Tour du Rwanda has prominently high visibility and transports a positive image of the whole country. Sport events in general and cycle events are successfully designed to promote tourism in a region or in a country. Tourism products around prominent cycling events attract many tourists and boost tourism in regions off the beaten track.
The Rwanda Cycling Federation (FERWACY) and GIZ / Eco Emploi have tested an exciting cycle tourism product offered in parallel with Tour du Rwanda and that product has become Ride Rwanda. Ride Rwanda prominently passes through the Kivu Belt Region. This region around the beautiful Lake Kivu has a lot to offer for tourists. However, the great potential of the positive image of the Tour du Rwanda as an enabler and destination marketing ambassador for tourism in the Kivu Belt Region is untapped.
B. Context of this Assignment
After having tested the tourism product around Tour du Rwanda in the last two years, a new promotional campaign for Ride Rwanda 2021 has started targeting to attract more tourists interested in cyclo-tourism in Rwanda. The intention behind Ride Rwanda is twofold:
1. FERWACY aims to organically expand Tour du Rwanda beyond a pure athletic sports event and strengthen the overall sustainability of the event and the benefits for the country;
2. Eco-Emploi aims to promote the economy and employment in the tourism sector. Ride Rwanda is set to attract new tourists to Rwanda, especially to the Kivu Belt region. By linking them with already existing tourism products, the local tourism sector is strengthened.
C. Purpose of the Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to support the Ride Rwanda team in attracting the potential target group to participate in Ride Rwanda.
The main task of the consultant is to manage all Ride Rwanda digital and social media campaigns in order to achieve Ride Rwanda main objective (attracting potential customers) by providing IT, online customer booking service, and communications support before, during, and post-event.
Under the overall responsibility and direct supervision of the designed Ride Rwanda team, the consultant will strengthen bonds with our current communities and bring new audiences to Ride Rwanda website and resources. As a website and social media manager, he/she will maintain Ride Rwanda's presence on various social media platforms and help create and publish graphic design content that is relevant to promotion. He/she will regularly analyze and report on the activity on social media networks and websites.
D. Key Responsibilities
- Maintain the Ride Rwanda website on a daily basis and continuously improve the design of the website;
- Administrate the creation and publishing of relevant, original, high-quality content on the Ride Rwanda website;
- Advise on the online payment system and its management;
- Tracking and maintaining the Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) of the RR Website/Social Media;
- Coordinate with the team in managing the bookings and reservations processed on the website;
- Plan specific, timely campaigns across all platforms in line with event promotion and trends;
- Manage the creative side and analytics side of campaigns and demonstrate this through results;
- Protect data from outside infiltration through encryption, secure data storage, and other necessary means;
- Provide IT support and offer suggestions for possible upgrades and changes for the online marketing promotion campaign.
- Support maintenance of social media platforms;
- Complete other social media projects as assigned;
- Promote content through social media campaigns (reviewed and changed on a weekly-monthly basis dependent on analytics results);
- Grow the Ride Rwanda online social network by increasing user base and interaction;
- Use Google Analytics to assess trends and activity on the Ride Rwanda website;
- Review data on the performance of social media platforms and adjust plans to or strategies to optimize reach;
- Develop a social media strategy, guide, and action plan for Ride Rwanda staff to take overwork.
- Help the promotional team to maintain the flow of reliable information from the national and international customers;
- Post communications products online;
- Maintenance of information database and photo library;
- Take part in communication activities related to the online promotional campaign.
E. Duty Station
The assignment is preferably to be delivered in direct collaboration with the event team. The on-ground duty station will be the Africa Rising Cycling Center (ARCC) in Kinigi (Musanze). Frequent physical presence is required. Office space in the ARCC will be provided, but other related tools for the completion of the assignment (e.g. airtime, laptop, mobile phone) are not provided.
F. Reporting and coordination
The Consultant is required to report directly to Ride Rwanda team and do project progress briefing to the event promotional team including the GIZ Development Advisor.
G. Expected Deliverables
The following deliverables shall be delivered during this assignment:
Deliverable 1 (From November to December 2020)
Website (up to 15 expert days)
- Update the website with new graphics (photos, videos, and documents contents);
- Set-up the payment page and perform a test run;
- Create a link page for Ride Rwanda partners, sponsors, and other stakeholders;
Social Media (up to 15 expert days)
- Update all the Ride Rwanda social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) with new information on 2021 edition;
- Create new social media accounts on LinkedIn and other deemed influencing platforms;
- Demonstrate with Analytics the reachability of those social media posts and updates;
- Perform a boost for each online target.
Deliverable 2 (From December 2020 to March 2021)
Website (up to 20 expert days)
- Give an update report on the online payment made so far;
- Continue to update the website as necessary;
Social Media (up to 38 expert days)
- A daily post on all the Ride Rwanda social media platforms;
- A daily post during the event.
Deliverable 3 (March 2021), up to 7 expert days
Produce a final detailed report at the completion of the assignment that includes all achieved milestones, challenges faced, and mitigation strategies used, and recommendation that can guide future similar assignments.
The duration of this assignment is from 10th November 2020 to 30th March 2021, with up to 95 expert days.
- I. Key Expertise and Qualifications required
- Education in Media & Communication or related field;
- Experience and background in online booking system;
- Two years or more experience in Social Media content and campaigns with all tools;
- Experience in online community-building;
- Experience in building online and social networking campaigns;
- Demonstrated experience in visual messaging and informational graphics;
- Experience with WordPress is imperative;
- A creative mindset and the ability to work well under pressure, completing tasks efficiently, and handling tight deadlines;
- Being able to work from Kinigi/Musanze
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda, French desirable.
The Consultant shall provide the CV with concrete evidence of previous experiences of similar assignments.
J. Submission of EoI
EoI will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Individual profile,
- Relevant experience,
- Individual strategies to assure agility, flexibility, and responsiveness,
- Personnel and,
- Financial offer.
Only individual consultant are eligible to apply to this assignment, no consulting company
will be accepted.
The EoI should contain the following:
For Technical Proposal:
- A Cover letter expressing interest in this assignment;
- Technical Proposal with a brief description of why you would be considered as the most suitable for the assignment, relevant expertise, and a detailed clear methodology, on how will be your approach and complete the assignment;
- The CVs shall not exceed 4 pages.
- Company registration certificate (RDB)
- VAT registration certificate if available
- Proof of successful completion of related assignments.
- Latest tax clearance certificate
For the Financial Proposal:
The Financial Proposal indicates the all-inclusive total contract price, supported by a breakdown of all costs. The cost must be in RWF and VAT excluded.
Please submit your EoI documents in two separate envelopes (1 for technical offer and 1 for a financial offer) until latest Monday 02 November 2020 at 4:00 pm, at the front desk of:
GIZ Office Kigali/Rwanda
KN 41 Street / Nr.17 – Kiyovu
B.P 59 Kigali – Rwanda
GIZ reserves all rights