EXPRESSION of INTEREST (EoI) National consultancy: Website development for the Destination Management Unit of Kivu Belt
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy, and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
A. General Context of Eco-Emploi
Rwanda aspires to improve standards of living for all its citizens in the Vision of 2050. The Vision will be effected through a series of seven-year National Strategies for Transformation (NST1), underpinned by detailed sectoral strategies that are aimed toward achievement of the SDGs. The NST1 came after the implementation of two, five-year Economic Development and Poverty Reduction Strategies—EDPRS (2008-12) and EDPRS-2 (2013-18), under which Rwanda experienced robust economic and social performances. The growth averaged 7.5% over the decade to 2018 while per capita growth domestic product (GDP) grew at 5% annually. However, the rate of unemployment and underemployment is still prominent. With strategies like the NST 1 and the Private Sector Development and Youth Employment Strategy (PSDYES), the Government of Rwanda is promoting skills development and the creation of off-farm jobs.
The bilateral Economy and Employment Promotion Programme (Eco-Emploi) as part of the priority area “Sustainable Economic Development” of the Rwandan-German Development Cooperation is supporting these efforts. Eco-Emploi, implemented by GIZ, incorporates an integrated approach of technical and vocational education and training, labor market interventions, and private sector development and will be implemented between January 2020 and December 2022. The programme aims at employment-intensive growth in selected economic sectors, namely wood industry, tourism & hospitality industry, and film industry, with a special focus on digitalisation. The economic empowerment of women, youth, and persons with disabilities are a crosscutting effort in all activities of the programme. Eco-Emploi works towards achieving SDG 1 "No poverty", SDG 4 "High-quality education", SDG 5 "Gender equality" and SDG 8 "Decent work and economic growth”.
B. Rationale of the assignment
The Rwanda Chamber of Tourism aims to promote and represent the interests of the private tourism and hospitality sector. To do so holistically, the Chamber in partnership with GIZ Eco-Emploi supports the establishment of the Destination Management Unit in the Kivu belt region.
The responsibility of the DMU is to coordinate all tourism actors and activities in the area. Linked to the activities of the DMU is the digitalization of the Kivu Belt marketing including the creation of a website. In this regard, Eco-Emploi would like to hire a national consultant to build a website for the DMU Kivu Belt.
1. Objective and Scope
The objective of this assignment is to improve the digital destination marketing and coordination of tourism stakeholders for the Kivu Belt through the establishment of a website and a blog.
The DMU Kivu needs a website to promote the region and serve as a platform for its members. That website should give visitors all necessary information, through images and descriptions (see some examples from Austria (www.hochkoenig.at/), SA (www.capetown.travel/), and Kenya (https://thisiskilifi.com/)). It should clearly highlight the uniqueness of the Kivu region as a tourism destination. It will serve as a platform to detail all services and activities existing in the region.
The assignment also includes a blog with the aim at communicating important information to stakeholders and those interested in information about activities by the Kivu Belt DMU. The blog should follow the same color scheme as the main website but does not have the same complex requirements and sub-structures as the website.
The contractor is required to create (design, develop, test, and implement) a web platform and a blog within the given timeline. The consultant shall closely work with the Chamber of Tourism and GIZ Eco-Emploi to get guidance and recommendations.
- Be built using WordPress
- Have an interactive, appealing, highly usable, and responsive web design using the DMUs colour scheme
- Have a fast load-speed, providing the possibility of a lighthouse rating with Google Page Speed Insights (https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights) considering that images and videos are optimized for web and that no other apps or widgets are installed which might slow it down.
- Up to date and reliable SSL certificate
- Allow administrators to be able to log in and update the website
- Have Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics set up
- Be ready to offer multiple language versions
- Be responsive
- Have mobile-friendly design (tablets and smartphones)
- Be ready to integrate online booking from a third party
- Have an on-the-page SEO system installed such as Yoast or similar
- Have links to social media
- Have at least the following page templates ready which should be able to be reproduced an infinite amount of times (exact details will be presented during the first meeting with the DMU):
- Home page minimum requirements
- Top slider with possibility to show full-width image or video slider.
- Under top slider possibly to integrate booking bar widget from third party booking system.
- Widget boxes with images linking to any page or category with title text inside or a video, image, text, or map. Possibility to switch between 1-6 boxes in a row.
- Widget displaying Instagram feed
- Footer displaying links, text, or images.
- Category page minimum requirements
- Top image or video. Widget boxes with images and title text linking to all articles or product pages tagged with the category name or linking to an external url of choice.
- Possibility to change the view layout of the category page.
- Search bar with free text search and filter based on tags or category.
- Article page minimum requirements
- Top image or video.
- Full width text
- Preview more articles or product pages at the bottom from the same or another category
- Product page minimum requirements
- Top image or video
- Free text
- Images and videos
- A right column with contact details, opening times and other essential information plus a google map and the possibility to integrate the booking system
- Show more articles or product pages at the bottom from the same or another category
- Map page minimum requirements
- Showing a map with a customizable style of the Kivu Belt with selected services, tours, and products, preferably in Google Maps.
- Possibility to filter what is shown on the map from a selection of categories
- Possibility to add information on each service, tour or product with a link to internal or external URL
- About page minimum requirements
- Free text, profiles of the DMU workers
- The Structure and organization of the DMU
- Contact us page minimum requirements
- Contact information
- Contact form
- Home page minimum requirements
- The website should have any other requirement expressed during the needs assessment
Blog minimum requirements:
- Have a fixed home page with a top image slider and be able to display posts in chronological order in a format agreed to by the Kivu Belt DMU
- Have a search function with free text search and post/category/tag filter
- Have a contact page
- Have an about page
- Follow the DMU color scheme
- Have connected social media
- Preferably made in WordPress
- Can be made using an existing template
The contractor shall recommend other pages and features that will optimize the end-user experience and speed of the website and blog.
The methodology of the assignment is as follows:
a) Step: The consultant is expected to meet the Chamber of Tourism & GIZ Eco-Emploi and third-party booking solution provider to understand the needs of the DMU Kivu website, so as to develop a suitable solution. Main outcome: Agreed project plan (signed off by all parties). To happen in the first week of the assignment.
b) Step: A functional specifications document to the Chamber of Tourism & GIZ Eco-Emploi will be one of the deliverables. The specification report will highlight the website structure, details, functionalities, and design to meet the identified needs of the DMU Kivu. The specifications shall also cover the capabilities necessary at the DMU to handle the site in terms of human resources. In addition, the specifications propose a hosting concept for one year including security, backup, and availability measures to avoid data compromises. Presentation of screen mock-ups for three different website designs.
Sign off of the design and functional specifications by Chamber of Tourism & GIZ Eco-Emploi. To happen in the second week of the assignment.
c) Step: Website development and deployment according to functional specification and design approved by Chamber of Tourism & GIZ Eco-Emploi. Uploading the website content, provided by Chamber of Tourism & GIZ Eco-Emploi. Training of Users and the Web Administrator. Validation and testing of the website by Chamber of Tourism & GIZ Eco-Emploi.
d) Step Training of administrators and users. One full day of training for the moderators and administrators of the website. Can be done through a video link.
e) Step: Reporting on the process (2 pages).
f) Step: Maintenance including backups and updates of the website for 2 years.
g) Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for helpdesk services, maintenance, and support for the website and blog for at least 2 years
3. Reporting and cooperation:
The consultant will report to the DMU team of the Chamber of Tourism and Eco-Emploi’s tourism team. Steps and activities of the assignment will be decided together with the Chamber of Tourism & GIZ Eco-Emploi.
a) Project Plan (in the first week after signing the contract).
b) The website functional specifications, hosting concept, back-up concept (indicating frequency of back-ups, type of back-ups, backup schedule, etc.), content management system (CMS) and design screen mock-ups in a document (in the first and second week of the assignment).
c) The DMU Kivu Belt website. The Dmu Kivu Belt Blog. The website files and source codes. SSL certificates installed. Training of the system users with training material. Hosting the website for a period of 2 years with the possibility of extension. (in the third and fourth week of the assignment).
d) Provide first-class hosting for the site and blog. These will include content to do with data backup, security etc.
e) Train users and the web administrators
f) Report(in the last week of the assignment).
g) Provide documentation for the site that shall include the functional specifications, system documentation, user manual, administrator manual, test reports, etc.
h) Maintenance including backups and updates and support until December 2022.
5. Data Confidentiality
The consultant undertakes to maintain data confidentiality in line with the provisions of Art. 5 Nr. 1 f) of the European Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as follows: The provisions of the GDPR in respect of maintaining data confidentiality.
To certify compliance of confidentiality, the consultant will be required to sign a Formal Obligation to Data Confidentiality form.
6. Timeframe of the assignment
The assignment is to start on December 1st, 2020. All final products except support, backup/maintenance have to be handed in latest by January 31st, 2020.
The following timeframes are provided as estimates for the project:
Project Manager 40 hours = up to 5 days expert days
Web designer 16 hours = up to 3 days expert days
Web Developer 120 hours = up to 16 days expert days
Training 8 hours = up to 1 expert day
Reporting/handover 24 hours= up to 3 expert days
Support/Backup/Maintenance 112 hours = up to 14 expert days
Total Sum= up to 42 expert days
7. Key characteristics of consultant(s))
For the assignment, the following characteristics and competencies are essential:
The consultant or company should have strong experience (at least 5 years) on web design and web development with a corresponding portfolio containing examples of the achievements.
The consultant(s) should show fluency in current trends in website design, functionality, and interactivity. Proven experience in successful web design for organizations aiming to showcase multimedia programming.
Ability to creatively communicate the work of the DMU in both design and presentation of website. Show an understanding of end-users needs and ability to match with technical solutions.
The competencies can either be possessed and demonstrated by one person or within the team assigned the project.
8. Submission of the EoI:
EoI will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Company or individual profile,
- Relevant experience,
- Company strategies to assure agility, flexibility, and responsiveness,
- Personnel and,
- Financial offer.
The EoI should contain the following:
For Technical Proposal:
- A Cover letter expressing interest in this assignment;
- Technical Proposal with a brief description of why you would be considered as the most suitable for the assignment, relevant expertise, and a detailed clear methodology, on how will be your approach and complete the assignment. It should be formatted, font type ARIAL, fond size 11, and should be clearly formulated. The offer should be drawn up in English language.
The Technical Proposal should also contain links to websites built in the previous assignment
- The CVs shall not exceed 4 pages.
- Company registration certificate (RDB)
- References and recommendations of similar works executed by the company in Rwanda or elsewhere outside of Rwanda.
- VAT registration certificate if available
- Latest tax clearance certificate
For the Financial Proposal:
The Financial Proposal indicates the all-inclusive total contract price, supported by a breakdown of all costs. The cost must be in RWF and VAT excluded.
Please submit your EoI documents in two separate envelopes (1 for technical offer and 1 for financial offer) until latest Friday 27 November 2020 at 4:00 pm, at the front desk of:
GIZ Office Kigali/Rwanda
KN 41 Street / Nr.17 – Kiyovu
B.P 59 Kigali – Rwanda
GIZ reserves all rights