Faculty for Evidence-Based Global Health Delivery (EBGHD) course
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Title: Faculty for Evidence-Based Global Health Delivery (EBGHD) course
Reports to: Director, Bill and Joyce Cummings Institute of Global Health
Program: All UGHE academic programs
Location: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE), Rwanda
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is committed to providing an academic experience rooted in global health delivery and equity. UGHE seeks a faculty, an educator, who can use a creative approach coupled with the energy and dedication to:
- develop, modify, and deliver the Evidence-Based Global Health Delivery (EBCHD) module of the MGHD program- a research methods course focused on three key themes: epidemiology approaches; applied biostatistical principles, and study design (both quantitative and qualitative); and monitoring and evaluation.
- develop, modify, and deliver Research Methodology, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and other public health modules of the MBBS (MD) program.
- be the lead faculty in teaching the Research Methods, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and other public health related courses in other academic programs at UGHE.
The faculty should also demonstrate vast implementation expertise, experience teaching and developing academic training programs, a robust research portfolio, and leadership. The faculty will be required to teach other courses at UGHE, according to their expertise.
The faculty is expected to live and work within Rwanda to undertake this role.
- Be the lead faculty in the online EBGHD module on the MGHD program for the MGHD program.
- Be the lead faculty in teaching the Research Methods, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and other public health related courses on the MBBS (MD) program.
- Be the lead faculty in teaching the Research Methods, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and other public health related courses on other academic programs at UGHE such as Nursing and Midwifery, Executive Education, and PhD programs.
- Adapt and deliver the aforementioned UGHE-developed EBGHD module to promote student mastery in applied bio-statistical principles; quantitative and qualitative study designs; epidemiology approaches; and monitoring and evaluation.
- Design/modify the statistical software workshop curriculum/materials and deliver and supervise the delivery of the workshop.
- Utilize dynamic and outcome-driven teaching practices (including team-based and problem-based learning approaches) to develop students’ critical thinking abilities and technical expertise.
- Oversee the ongoing design, instruction, coordination, and evaluation of the course.
- Contribute to the evaluation of students in a timely and comprehensive manner, consistent with UGHE monitoring and evaluation protocol and course assessment criteria.
- Serve as course instructor in all relevant modules of MGHD and MBBS as either in the lead or supporting role where skills and expertise apply. Courses may include Health Policy and Political Economy, Principles in Global Health Equity, Managing Global Health Care Delivery, practicum, and other executive education courses.
- Respond promptly to student and administrative requests.
- Support students outside of the classroom via in person and online modalities.
Supervising and mentoring (20%)
- Mentor students (MGHD, MBBS, and others) undertaking research initiatives related to the course as well as the Practicum, providing guidance on students’ choice of study design and analytical approach.
- Mentor and guide students through the academic year for their ongoing professional growth
- Supervise and mentor UGHE’s junior faculty in professional development, including but not limited to education, research, management, and communication skills.
Provide Strategic Leadership (10%)
- Oversee and continuous improvement of the EBGHD module and integrating of the MGHD into UGHE’s future degree offerings, in partnership with UGHE’s Director of IGH, other academic department heads, and non-academic staff.
- Manage, mentor, and supervise a growing MGHD staff and faculty team.
- Cultivate a strong body of teaching faculty.
- Oversee the development of new delivery models and modalities for the EBGHD module
- Participate in different academic and non-academic committees at UGHE
- Be willing to take academic, non-academic committee, and ad-hoc responsibilities as assigned by the UGHE leadership
- Oversee the continuous monitoring, evaluation, and quality improvement for all aspects of the EBGHD, in partnership with MGHD team.
- Provide input in the strategy and direction for Global Health Education at UGHE.
- Serve as a leader for academic developments including global health learning, teaching, research.
Conduct and Accompany Research (10%)
- Undertake research leading to peer-reviewed publications focused on global health delivery and equity.
- Accompany and mentor student and alumni-driven global health research linked to their UGHE training.
- PhD training that includes significant and diverse research methods experience, especially focused on global health, equity/health disparities, applied biostatistical principles and study design, epidemiology approaches, qualitative and mixed-methods research, and monitoring and evaluation
- Experience teaching and mentoring health science-oriented master’s level research methods students, utilizing active learning approaches
- Experience adapting teaching strategies to accommodate learners of different backgrounds and with different levels of pre-existing content familiarity
- Proficiency in SPSS software for statistical analysis
- Proficiency or familiarity with other statistical softwares such as REDCap, R, EpiInfo, GraphPad Prism, is preferred
- Proficiency in software for qualitative analysis.
- Advanced training and experience in health, research, or clinical education with a focus on global settings and equity-driven initiatives
- Excitement for working in a dynamic, fast-paced, startup educational environment
- Enthusiasm to work with an academic team to develop and employ diverse pedagogical strategies.
- Experience working or teaching in Rwanda and/or other relevant contexts.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Willingness to relocate to Butaro,
Benefits of Working at UGHE
UGHE faculty will be working at both Kigali city and at our campus in Butaro, Northern Rwanda. The campus is situated in a scenic area with a mild climate year-round. UGHE also offers a competitive salary and health care benefits. Faculty moving to UGHE from outside of Rwanda for this position will receive a relocation allotment and an annual stipend for travel to their home countries for themselves.
Applicants should provide: (1) curriculum vitae, (2) graduate transcripts, (3) a list of relevant courses taught including the student profile, sample syllabi, and teaching evaluations, (4) a personal statement addressing teaching philosophy and experience working with diverse student populations, (5) at least one example of representative scholarship, e.g. a peer-reviewed article. Please upload these under the ‘Additional Files’ tab on the application page.
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system. UGHE is committed to an exceptional educational experience rooted in dynamic and engaging courses prioritizing a high degree of faculty mentorship and experience-based learning.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health, and its subsidiaries including the University of Global Health Equity, is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications by the link:https://www.pih.org/pages/employment?p=job%2FomFdffwd
The deadline: 14th May 2021