Finance Assistant, Rwanda
Educate! is seeking a superb Finance Assistant to work in our operations department in Rwanda. As a Finance Assistant, you will be responsible for posting all finance transactions into QuickBooks, or any other accounts package that Educate! can use, maintain detailed records of supporting documentation for all payment transactions. She/he will also be responsible for following up on advances with managers before the close of a monthly report.
The Finance Assistant will work closely with the Finance Coordinator to manage staff advance requisitions in QuickBooks through reviewing accountabilities and reconciliations. This role requires strong attention to detail, excel and QuickBooks knowledge since the person will be in charge of reviewing and verifying all invoices and preparing vouchers. He/she will also collaborate closely with the global finance team and the field staff to generate new ideas in finance.
The Finance Assistant will report to the Finance Coordinator.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise that prepares youth in Africa with 21-century skills to succeed in today’s economy. We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with schools and governments to reform what schools teach and how they teach it. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. We’ve massively scaled up our program in the past several years, growing more than 4x since 2014. In 2019, we’re working in over 400 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 800 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model has proven to have a massive impact -- after the program, students earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 44% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.
QuickBooks Posting - 30%
- Preparing journal vouchers
- Enter all journal entries into the accounting software
- Reconcile Ledger Accounts.
- Produce daily transactions posting report
- Maintain detailed records of supporting documentation for all payments transactions
- Ensure all documents are stamped and filed appropriately
- Verify completeness of all vouchers prior to posting ensuring that all necessary attachments are included
Accounts Receivable (20%)
- Follow up on accounts receivables before closing the report
- Follow up with managers to ensure that advances are accounted for on time
- Manage staff advances requisitions in QuickBooks, through reviewing accountabilities, reviewing reconciliations
- Provide status reports to staff on a weekly basis
- Receiving and reviewing invoices and preparing vouchers
- Receiving and verifying requisitions and preparing vouchers
- Paying vendors and responding to all inquiries regarding finance
- Disbursement of petty cash
- Undergraduate Degree
- 1 year in a busy accounting and operations role
- Excel and QuickBooks knowledge
- Passionate about the youth
- Strong interpersonal skills, great administrator
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Based in our growing office in Kigali
- Six months contract with possibility of extension
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2019, Serving more than 1200 schools. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor, or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.