TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE RECRUITMENT OF FIRM FOR THE TRAINING OF 504 SCHOLARS ON BASIC MATHEMATICS
Firm for training scholars in basics in mathematics
Expected starting date
August 12th, 2019
Duration of assignment
Three weeks from 12th to 30 August 2019.
Established in 1997, FAWE Rwanda intervention have mainly focused on changing the prevailing attitudes and mindset regarding girls’ education to ensure gender equity in education especially with regards to increase girls’ access, retention and performance in education. Specific interventions spanned from influencing education policies and laws to ensure they are gender sensitive, teachers training in Gender Responsible Pedagogy, empowering girls through TUSEME clubs where they are also taught life skills and through various advocacy and awareness-raising activities at the national and community levels. In partnership with funding partners (US Government, Mastercard Foundation, Winrock International /REACH project, UNHCR, Beautiful World Canada and many individual sponsors), FAWE Rwanda supported more than 20,500 scholars (both girls and boys) to achieve basic education i.e. primary and secondary education since 1997 providing tuition and non-tuition financial assistance to smart girls and boys from disadvantaged households.
FAWE Rwanda through the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program will award comprehensive scholarships to scholars transitioning to tertiary level at the end of 2019. In order to prepare the scholars to be competitive and equip them with a good foundation in sciences and technologies for the tertiary level education, FAWE Rwanda is planning a 3 weeks boot camp for 504 scholars who graduated from A’ level in 2018 to fill the basic gaps in ICT and mathematics in secondary education but also organize a refresher training in entrepreneurship and business development to strengthen scholars’ knowledge and skills acquired during the previous training in entrepreneurship and business development that was organized in April 2019.
- Expected outcomes for the training in mathematics
- At least 80% of scholars refreshed with basic knowledge in mathematics: Pythagoras theorem, Algebra, Linear Equation, Quadratic equation, Equation of Line, Probability, Simultaneous equation, Geometry.
- At least 50% of scholars are enable to build simple robotics models using acquired knowledge in Mathematics
- Objectives of the training in Mathematics
- To refresh the scholars mind on fundamental Mathematics’ theories: Pythagoras theorem, Algebra, Linear Equation, Quadratic equation, Equation of Line, Probability, Simultaneous equation, Geometry.
- To enable scholars to understand and apply fundamental formulas in simple robotics models.
- Scope of the work:
- Develop the training module and tools and discuss them with FAWE Rwanda before the training
- A pre-test to know the level of scholars
- Carry out the training within the given timeline.
- Prepare and submit the report within the given timeline
- Duration of the training:
The training in Mathematics, ICT, Entrepreneurship and Business Development will happen concurrently at the same venue in Kigali, from 12th to 30th August 2019.
- Training report
The firm should submit the training report to FAWE Rwanda not later than 10th September 2019.
- Required expertise and qualification
1. Having accumulated experience in conducting trainings in Mathematics.
2. Having an authorization of training and certified trainers in Mathematics.
3. Having its own training materials and handouts
4. Having conducted successively similar trainings is an added value.
5. Having a team of at least 3 lead trainers and 5 assistant trainers fulfilling the requirements:
a. A minimum of bachelor degree in Mathematics with other related (above degree is an added advantage); Ref. Updated CV.
b. Ability to produce the highest quality and actionable report acceptable to a wide range of stakeholders who include the FAWE and partners. Ref. CV cover letter and reports of previous similar assignments by a consultant.
c. Proven experience of developing high-quality mathematics training, with verifiable proof; Ref. CV, recommendation letters and reports of previous similar trainings
6. Availability of the lead trainers (3) and assistant training during all the time of the training.
- Application procedures
Qualified and interested firms are hereby requested to submit technical and financial proposals.
While submitting the Technical Proposal, the firm must ensure to attach the following:
- Two notarized copies of reference for similar work
- Tax clearance certificate issued by RRA
- Registration certificate issued by RDB
- Updated CVs of the individuals proposed for this statement of work, highlighting relevant qualifications and experience;
- Profile of the firm (max 1 page) explaining why it is the most suitable for the work;
- Detailed methodology and conceptual framework with expected deliverables within a set timeline (between 3 and 5 pages).
- At least two copies of contracts for similar work
- At least two copies of certificate of good completion for similar work
- All the documents mentioned under expertise and qualifications
The financial proposal should specify the total amount in Rwandan Francs (all taxes included) and provide details for each item budgeted for leading to the total cost.
- Bids submission
Interested eligible firms shall submit their technical and financial proposals in 2 separate sealed envelopes (one for the technical offer and another for a financial offer) to the following physical address of FAWE Rwanda; REB premises nearby the Curriculum Development Department not later than June 24, 2019, before 4: 00 pm. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Opening ceremony
The opening of bids is planned the same day (June 24, 2019, at 4: 30 pm) in FAWE Rwanda board room.
Done at Kigali, June 7, 2019
Acting National Coordinator