Rwanda: Flight Operations
DISTRIBUTION CENTER OPERATIONS
Do you love to find new ways to solve old problems in a high-energy environment with an inspiring team of innovators, driven to tackle seemingly impossible challenges? Are you someone who shines under pressure? Then keep reading.
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using battery-powered autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies around the world and we’re looking for motivated, proactive team members to join us.
At the moment, Zipline is delivering 20% of all the blood being transported outside of Kigali, Rwanda. We are expanding rapidly throughout the world and looking for amazing individuals who are passionate about the nexus of public health and cutting-edge technology to change the world.
Zipline is currently a team of 99 rockstars, with an R&D branch in California, USA and a distribution center for drone deliveries in Muhanga, Rwanda.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Zips (our delivery drones) are the core of our business, and Flight Operators play a critical role in keeping everyone at the distribution center and neighboring communities safe. This hire is crucial to us because we are scaling fast and setting up new Distribution Centers across Rwanda, and need some incredible Flight Operators to make sure our drone deliveries are completed seamlessly.
WITHIN 1 MONTH: You will receive elite Zip training that includes professional courses as well apprenticeship with the rest of the Flight Ops team to learn on the job.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS: You will become a certified Flight Ops professional - Being able to handle Pre-flight, Post-flight, Launching Zips, and incident response alone, and have a thorough understanding of Zip hardware.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS: You will have mastered vehicle maintenance, troubleshooting recurring incidents and processes with the Africa-based and California-based teams. You will be responsible to contribute on a daily basis regarding the process and vehicle improvements.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS: You will be looked to as someone looked at as a leader for the Nest, fielding questions from your team and helping onboard new apprentices coming on-board. Zipline is expanding rapidly, and peer-mentors will become a crucial part to scaling up.
- Take Off: Conduct pre-flight inspection with Zips, Work with Flight Controllers to launch Zips, Prepare ground equipment for inbound Zips
- Drone & Technical Maintenance: Perform Zip field maintenance and repair any drones that have experienced incidents
- Troubleshooting: Collaborate with locally-based and USA-based engineering team to troubleshoot & optimize issues
- Collaboration: Work with a team to scale drone deliveries to 100+ deliveries per day at one distribution center
- Degree or Diploma in Mechanical/Electrical/Aerospace Engineering OR
- 3+ years working experience as a Maintenance Technician for Aircraft, Power Turbines, Mining Equipment, or other Complex Technical Equipment
- Work will require lifting up to 50 lbs., stooping, climbing, prolonged standing, prolonged sitting and working with or in areas where a potential could exist for exposure to physical, chemical or biological agents. Employee use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required in certain areas. Such PPE includes but is not limited to head, foot, hand, torso, respiratory, vision and hearing protective devices.
- Training: The team will go through a rigorous training process as part of the onboarding process. This training will be across multiple teams, so you will learn about the full scope of our operations at Zipline.
- Professional Development: Zipline is a fast growing startup and there will be many opportunities for you to rise as a leader, taking on more responsibility, and having more direct input into our processes and strategy
- Benefits: Zipline offers benefits to its team including health insurance, access to a library of management books, and transport & housing for people commuting to different distribution centers.